Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna with Sausage and Basil (Video)
Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna with Sausage and Basil was inspired by a series of grocery store finds and this lasagna was so tasty! Use Casserole Recipes to find more low-carb casseroles like this one!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna with Sausage and Basil!
It’s no secret that I love Low-Carb Casseroles because of the way they create leftovers for the freezer, and other people must like that too because casseroles are some of the most popular recipes on this site! But usually I wouldn’t share a new casserole recipe like this Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna with Sausage and Basil at this time of year, just when the weather is starting to heat up.
It was three fun grocery store finds in a row that inspired me to create this recipe, and after we worked on it a few times to get it right the final version was so tasty I just couldn’t convince myself to wait until fall to share the recipe! In fact, yesterday I pulled a container of this low-carb lasagna out of the freezer and heated it up for an amazing dinner. So please make this NOW before it gets too hot to turn on the oven and I promise you’ll be glad you tried it!
What Products Inspired this Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna?
The Folios Parmesan Cheese Wraps I found at Costco were the first thing that inspired this lasagna. Normally I’m not inclined to create a recipe using a product that some people might not be able to find, but when I shared about Folios on Instagram I was so intrigued by the comments and how many people liked them. Folios are firm wraps made of cheese, about the thickness of a tortilla and they’re gluten-free and have only one carb each.
When the idea of making no-noodle lasagna and using these parmesan wraps as the “noodles” popped into my mind, I might not have done it right away except the very next time I went to the grocery store I found Rao’s Tomato Basil Sauce (affiliate link) that had half the carbs as the low-sugar sauce I’d been using. And then on that same shopping trip I discovered the store had fresh basil plants! I love fresh basil and it added so much flavor to the sauce for this low-carb lasagna!
But if you can’t find Folios Parmesan Cheese Wraps or Rao’s Sauce or don’t have fresh basil, please don’t let that stop you from making this tasty lasagna! Use a firm sliced cheese like Provolone to replace the Folios; it will probably melt a bit more but it’s still going to be delicious. Pick the lowest-carb sauce you can find if your store doesn’t carry Raos. And you can use dried basil or chopped basil in a tube for the sauce if you don’t have or don’t want to buy fresh basil. (I don’t accept money to promote products, and none of the companies mentioned in this post have any idea that I’m featuring them.)
Steps for Making Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna with Sausage and Basil:
(This is just a summary of the steps. Scroll down to the complete printable recipe.)
- Preheat oven and spray casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan and saute chopped onion; then push onion over to the side and cook the ground beef and Italian sausage in the same pan.
- Add the Rao’s sauce to the meat mixture and simmer until the sauce is thick.
- While the sauce simmers, chop basil (or use Herb Scissors (affiliate link) like I did if you have them!)
- Stir the chopped basil into the sauce.
- Mix the cottage cheese or ricotta, beaten eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan, garlic powder, and dried herbs. (We tested the recipe with both cottage cheese and ricotta and we preferred the cottage cheese, but take your choice on that!)
- I used a wonderful Le Creuset baking dish that I bought at Williams Sonoma with a generous gift certificate I got from my brother Dave and his wife Amy, thanks guys! Cut the Folios in half and cover the bottom of the dish. (I only needed two Folios per layer for my size dish, if your dish is a bit wider or longer you might need three.)
- Spread half the meat sauce over the Folios.
- Then make a layer with half the cottage cheese mixture, followed by half the Mozzarella.
- Make another layer each of Folios, meat sauce, cottage cheese mixture, and Mozzarella. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan over the top.
- Bake Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna with Sausage and Basil for 40-45 minutes. (We cooked the lasagna in the photo 45 minutes but I’d start to check after 35 or 40 minutes.)
- Serve hot and enjoy! This freezes well and reheats beautifully in the microwave or in the oven.
Make it a Meal:
More Low-Carb Lasagna to Love:
Grilled Zucchini Low-Carb Lasagna with Italian Sauce, Tomato, and Basil Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Keto Chicken Lasagna Cups ~ A Spicy Perspective
Low-Carb Sausage and Kale Mock Lasagna Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Lasagna Stuffed Peppers ~ Recipe Girl
Low-Carb Mock Lasagna Spaghetti Squash Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Pesto Zucchini Lasagna Rolls ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Low-Carb Sausage and Roasted Peppers Mock Lasagna Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
I used an amazing Le Creuset baking dish that was 7.5" x 11.5" x 3 inches deep; try to use a deep dish if you can but anything close to that size will work. I used my favorite hot turkey Italian sausage for this recipe, but pork sausage would also be good! You can use Ricotta Cheese instead of cottage cheese if you prefer. Use firm sliced white cheese like Provolone if you don't have Folios. You may need a total of 6 Folios to cover the dish if you use a larger, less deep dish than we had. I was excited to find Rao's Tomato Basil Sauce (affiliate link) at my grocery store; this sauce has only about 20 carbs in a whole jar.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 12g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 253mg Sodium: 1290mg Carbohydrates: 8.3g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 54g
I used an amazing Le Creuset baking dish that was 7.5" x 11.5" x 3 inches deep; try to use a deep dish if you can but anything close to that size will work.
I used my favorite hot turkey Italian sausage for this recipe, but pork sausage would also be good! You can use Ricotta Cheese instead of cottage cheese if you prefer. Use firm sliced white cheese like Provolone if you don't have Folios. You may need a total of 6 Folios to cover the dish if you use a larger, less deep dish than we had. I was excited to find Rao's Tomato Basil Sauce (affiliate link) at my grocery store; this sauce has only about 20 carbs in a whole jar.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb No-Noodle Lasagna with Sausage and Basil is a great dish for low-carb and low-glycemic diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend lean ground beef, low-fat turkey sausage, low-fat cottage cheese, and reduced fat cheese for this recipe.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.