Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna Casserole
Make this Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna Casserole in the Casserole CrockPot, a large oval slow cooker, or in a casserole dish in the oven. And if you use low-carb tortillas, this family friendly dinner idea is pretty low in net carbs!
Two things originally inspired this Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna Casserole: the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker that’s shaped like a casserole dish and My Favorite Low-Carb Tortillas. And slow cookers are definitely making a comeback during these times when we’re stuck at home cooking more often. But you can also bake this tasty Mexican Lasagna in the oven if the idea of using the slow cooker doesn’t appeal to you.
Using low-carb tortillas made this come out to 9.3 net carbs per serving, and it’s a family-friendly dinner that everyone in the house is probably going to like. What’s not to like about a tasty lasagna-inspired Mexican casserole with spicy ground beef, salsa, Ro-Tel tomatoes, low-carb tortillas, green chiles, cottage cheese, grated cheese, and just enough eggs to hold it together? And if you’re lucky you might have leftovers to freeze or to enjoy for another meal. Hope you’ll try this one for a tasty dinner option!
What Slow Cooker Did I Use?
A layered Mexican dish like this worked perfectly in the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link), and I’m definitely a fan of that slow cooker for this kind of recipe. But if you don’t have the slow cooker that’s shaped like a casserole dish you can most definitely make this in a large oval slow cooker. And I’m adding an option to the recipe for baking it in the oven too, after a reader reported she tried it that way and it worked great.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- olive oil
- ground beef
- Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or your favorite purchased taco seasoning)
- Pace Picante Sauce (or your favorite low-sugar salsa)
- Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- low-carb tortillas
- cottage cheese
- canned diced green chiles
- grated Mexican Cheese Blend
How to Make Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Brown 2 pounds of lean ground beef; then add chopped onions and cook a few minutes more.
- Add Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning, salsa, and Ro-Tel tomatoes and simmer until the mixture is quite dry.
- While that cooks, mix together the cottage cheese, diced green chiles (affiliate link), eggs, and 1 cup of the grated cheese.
- Cut the low-carb tortillas in half so you have a straight edge to go along the sides of the slow cooker.
- Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick spray and make a layer of tortillas; then layer half the spicy beef mixture, half the cottage cheese, and 1 cup of the grated cheese.
- Then make a second layer each of tortillas, spicy beef, cottage cheese mixture, and cheese. If you look hard you’ll see the casserole crock is a bit fuller in the second photo!
- Cook on high for about 2.5 hours, or until it’s bubbling and the cheese is nicely melted. If you’re using the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker (affiliate link) you can brown the casserole a bit more in a 400F/200C oven for about 15 minutes, but that step is optional.
- Serve hot, garnished with sliced green onions if desired.
- Scroll down to the complete recipe for instructions for baking this in the oven if you prefer that method.
More Slow Cooker Casseroles:
Casserole Crock Pot Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Sausage and Four Cheese Lasagna ~ The Perfect Pantry
Slow Cooker Sausage and Egg Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Casserole Crock Slow Cooker Dinners ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 1 T Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or use your favorite purchased taco seasoning)
- 1 cup Pace Picante Sauce (see notes)
- 2 cans (10 oz. can) Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Green Chiles (see notes)
- 6 low-carb tortillas, cut in half (see notes)
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles, drained
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups grated Mexican Cheese Blend (see notes)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan, add the ground beef, breaking it apart with your fingers, and cook over medium-high heat until the beef is browned and cooked through. Break beef apart with a turner or old fashioned potato masher (affiliate link) as it cooks so it’s in small pieces.
- When the beef is done, push it over to the side, add a little more oil if needed, and cook the diced onion for a few minutes; then mix the onion with the beef.
- Add Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning, salsa, and Ro-Tel tomatoes and simmer over low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated and when you draw a turner across the bottom of the pan you don’t see any liquid.
- While beef mixture cooks, mix together the cottage cheese, drained green chiles, eggs, and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Cut the tortillas in half with kitchen shears and spray the slow cooker insert with non-stick spray.
- In the crockery casserole dish insert, make a layer of tortillas, using the cut side of the tortillas to go along the straight sides. Use the least amount of tortillas you can to cover the bottom.
- Make a layer of half the spicy meat mixture, half the cottage cheese mixture, and one cup of the grated cheese (or more). Then make a second layer each of the tortillas, meat mixture, cottage cheese mixture, and grated cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 2 1/2 hours or until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese is nicely melted. (I carefully lift the lid on the Crock-Pot Casserole Crock Slow Cooker at least once during the cooking time and pour off any accumulated liquid.)
- If you’re using the Casserole Crock, you can brown the finished dish in a 400F/200C oven for about 15 minutes if desired, but that step is completely optional. (Crock-Pot doesn’t recommend putting the casserole crock under the broiler.)
- If you want to try this in the oven, a reader reported she baked it for 45 minutes and it turned out perfectly and was a hit with her husband. I’d use 375F/190C if you’re baking it in a casserole dish!
I used Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning, Pace Picante Sauce Medium, Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Green Chiles, and Mission Carb-Balance Whole Wheat Low-Carb Tortillas for this recipe. (affiliate links) Use MILD Ro-Tel tomatoes if you're making this for kids. I used Mexican Blend Cheese from Costco. This will keep in the fridge for quite a few days and can be reheated in the microwave. I’m guessing it also freezes well, although I haven’t had any leftovers to freeze yet!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 593Total Fat: 26.8gSaturated Fat: 11.6gUnsaturated Fat: 10.9gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 823mgCarbohydrates: 20.3gFiber: 11gSugar: 6gProtein: 41.6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you use the low-carb tortillas I recommend or a similar product, this recipe has 20.3 carbs but 11 grams of fiber in a serving. (That’s based on 10 servings; some people might want a larger serving so adjust accordingly.) If made with whole-grain tortillas, lean beef, and low-fat cheese, this dish would be suitable for phase 2 of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!