Low-Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers
Low-Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers is a delicious idea for a low-carb breakfast when you’re just plain tired of eggs! Use any kind of breakfast sausage you enjoy to make this tasty breakfast bake!
PIN this No Egg Breakfast Bake to try it later!
Low Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers is a delicious idea for a breakfast without eggs, and I think everyone who eats low-carb gets tired of eggs for breakfast, right? For years and years people kept asking me for a low-carb breakfast without eggs, and then one day this idea just popped into my mind.
And recently I thought about this no-egg breakfast and started making it again, so I thought I’d remind everyone else who might have forgotten about it! I hope the people who can’t eat eggs or are just tired of them will enjoy the idea of a breakfast bake with veggies, sausage, and cheese.
And if you don’t like peppers, have fun experimenting with other veggies. And this reheats very well, so if you have a few low-carb eaters in the house you might want to double the recipe and use a larger dish to make this for Weekend Food Prep!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- olive oil
- Spike Seasoning, or use any all-purpose seasoning mix
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- pre-cooked turkey or pork breakfast sausage links
- grated Mozzarella cheese
Want another idea for a low-carb breakfast without eggs?
If you like this breakfast idea you might also like Cheesy Low-Carb No-Egg Sausage Mushroom Breakfast!
How to Make Low-Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Cut up a red bell pepper and a green bell pepper into pieces about an inch across. (You can use any color of peppers.)
- Put peppers into a sprayed baking dish, toss with a little olive oil, Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), and black pepper and start to roast in a hot oven.
- Heat a tiny bit of oil in a non-stick pan and brown the sausage until they’re nicely browned on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
- When the sausage is nicely browned, cut each piece into thirds, so you have bite-sized pieces of sausage.
- After the peppers have roasted 20 minutes, add the sausage to the dish and cook 5 minutes more. (Or longer if you don’t like the peppers slightly crisp like I do.)
- While the sausage browns, measure 1/2 cup mozzarella (or more).
- Turn the oven to BROIL and sprinkle mozzarella over the top of the sausage-pepper mixture.
- Broil until the cheese is all melted and starting to brown, about 2 minutes for my broiler. (Watch it carefully, especially if your broiler is pretty hot.)
- I put the leftovers into serving-size containers and it reheated well in the microwave.
More Delicious Breakfast Ideas:
- Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Muffins
- Low-Carb High-Fiber Grain-Free Breakfast Muffins
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers
Low-Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers is a delicious low-carb breakfast without eggs.
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (or use any color of peppers you prefer)
- 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- Spike Seasoning to taste (or use any all-purpose seasoning mix that you like the flavor of)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 10 oz. pre-cooked turkey or pork breakfast sausage links of your choice (see notes)
- 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Spray a medium-sized baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cut away the stem part and cut out seeds of the red and green bell pepper and chop peppers into pieces about an inch across.
- Put peppers into the baking dish, toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil, sprinkle with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and fresh-ground black pepper, and put the dish in the oven and bake 20 minutes.
- While the peppers cook, heat the rest of the olive oil in a non-stick pan, add the sausages and cook over medium-high heat until they’re nicely browned on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove sausage to cutting board, line them up, and cut sausages into thirds.
- When the peppers have cooked for 20 minutes, add the sausages to the dish and bake 5 minutes more.
- Remove from oven, turn oven to BROIL, sprinkle the grated Mozzarella over the sausage-pepper combination and put back in oven and broil 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely melted and starting to brown.
- Serve hot.
I used Pre-Cooked Turkey Breakfast Sausage when I originally made this. If you use uncooked turkey breakfast sausage you'll need to cook it a bit longer. For low-carb or Keto diets use pork sausage, or any higher-fat sausage you prefer. Be sure to look for gluten-free sausage if needed.
This keeps well in the fridge, so don’t be afraid to double the recipe if you have a larger baking dish. I package mine in individual refrigerator dishes and heated about 1-2 minutes in the microwave the next morning.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With higher-fat pork sausage and cheese this Low-Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake would be perfect for traditional low-carb eating plans, including Keto. When you use lean turkey breakfast sausage and low-fat cheese, it would be great for all phases of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
41 Comments on “Low-Carb No-Egg Breakfast Bake with Sausage and Peppers”
Over the past few years I keep coming back to you website for wonderful SBD ideas, or just healthy ideas in general! As a newlywed and trying to learn to cook for two, you've been a big help 🙂 Thank you!
Comments like that just make me smile! Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
As Innkeeper at a B&B, I recently had guests that required special breakfast to accommodate their food restrictions. One guest could not have eggs due to an allergy. The other couldn't have pork. I prepared the recipe and it was a huge hit. I also prepared Southern Grits and laid the turkey sausage & pepper mix on top of the grits. For a protein punch, I added a poached egg on top for those guests who allowed them. Thank you for making me look so good!
Glad to hear people enjoyed it!
Emily, your version sounds great!
Great idea, my version based on what I had handy was peppers baked as directed, Al Fresco Spinach and rosemary chicken sausage browned using the broil setting in my toaster oven, and then broiled all together in the oven with a topping of halved cherry tomatoes and feta cheese. I loved it and my husband did too after he got over that I wasn't making eggs too! I am not doing SBD but striving for a lower glycemic and lower sugar way of eating and it's made a big difference.
Cynthia, so glad you both enjoyed it and what a great idea to make a double batch!
This is a perfect recipe for someone who doesn't like eggs every day for breakfast. I just made the recipe this morning and my husband loved it too. While I had the oven hot, I went ahead and made another batch for breakfast this next week. Perfect! Thank you.
Rosie, so glad you liked it. And I love hearing your additions, thanks for sharing that.
Oh My!! This was incredible. I ate it this morning. I did add mushrooms, onions, and red cabbage.
Carol, that sounds good!
Made this yesterday morning, but used turkey pepperoni (didn't have the sausages), and added some onion and a couple tablespoons of leftover pasta sauce. Topped with cheese, it was like a breakfast pizza without the eggs! I'll bet it would also be good with black or pinto beans and chorizo!
Thanks Ann! I appreciate the nice feedback.
Sausage, Cheese, Peppers oh my! Yum, definitely on my shopping list for next week. This will be an anytime of day meal for me. Thanks Kalyn, you recipes are always so good!
Thanks Erin. And I hope I convinced you that the brown-the-sausage method is best!
Kayln, I love hearing about the two different ways you tested the recipe. Thanks for the "behind the scenes" peek. I'm not on South Beach, but I'd 100% faceplant into a big dish of this tasty-looking bake!
CJ, that sounds good! I love those jarred cherry peppers.
This reminds me of a dinner dish I do… chicken breast or thighs, bite size pieces of italian sausage and jarred cherry peppers and sliced pepperonicinis. I would totally eat it for breakfast!
I wouldn't use frozen peppers, but you might like it that way. I like the peppers to be kind of crisp. I'd just cut the sausage into bite-sized pieces.
Could I use Frozen Tricolor pepper strips? Also if I'm using brown and serve turkey sausage patties how many pieces should I cut them into?
This would be awesome with Chorizo or italian sausage too!
Lydia, me too because I love the security of starting out the week with breakfast handled!
Although I'm an eggs-for-breakfast lover, I also love having this alternative idea. I would definitely double the amount, and make enough for a week.