Leftover Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans
Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans is a great use for leftover turkey, but make this with chicken if you’re not lucky enough to have any turkey! This delicious low-glycemic soup is easy to make, it freezes well, and the recipe is gluten-free. Check out Soup Recipes for more tasty soups!
It won’t be long before you have some leftover turkey, and when you do this deliciously healthy Leftover Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe with Black Beans and Lime is a lovely way to use it. And you can use leftover sweet potatoes in this soup too, if you’re lucky enough to have some.
One of my favorite traditions for the day after Thanksgiving is taking the turkey carcass, putting it in a big roasting pan with lots of water, onions, carrots, celery, and a bit of Penzeys Turkey Soup Base, and fill up the house with the smell of turkey stock. This soup recipe with turkey, black beans, and lime is one of my favorite soups to make with leftover turkey, and I’m indulging my love of sweet potatoes in soup here as well.This recipe is pretty flexible, but don’t leave out the touch of fresh lime juice added at the very end. Lime and sweet potatoes, that’s what makes this soup special.
You can make the soup using chicken and even chicken broth from a can, but I highly recommend making turkey stock if you have a carcass left from the big holiday meal. Here are instructions for How to Make Turkey Stock, and I promise you’ll thank me when the wonderful smell of this stock fills your house on the day after thanksgiving.
Start the soup by cooking the onions and celery a few minutes in the bottom of the soup pot. Then add the diced sweet potatoes, oregano, cumin, chile powder, sage, and turkey stock and simmer about 40 minutes. Add black beans and liquid to the mix and simmer about 15 minutes more; then add the diced turkey and green chiles and simmer another 15 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, simmer a few minutes more, and serve hot. Add chopped fresh cilantro if you wish.
This is good with cheese and sour cream to sprinkle on at the table.
More Delicious Ideas for Turkey Soup:
The Best Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Turkey Soup Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Lemony Turkey (or Chicken) Soup with Spinach and Orzo ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey-Escarole Soup from The Perfect Pantry
Turkey Barley Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Creamy Wild Rice and Turkey Soup ~ Taste and Tell
Coconut-Lime Turkey (or Chicken) and Rice Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Leftover Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans and Lime
Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans is a great use for leftover turkey!
- 1 cup diced onion (1 small onion)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 cups diced sweet potato, cut in pieces about 1/2 inch (orange sweet potatoes are often called Yams or Sweet Yams in U.S. stores)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano (I used Mexican oregano, but either kind will work)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground chile powder (New Mexico chile powder preferred)
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 5 cups turkey stock (can use chicken stock)
- 2 cans black beans, plus liquid
- 2 cups diced leftover turkey
- 2 T diced Anaheim chiles (if canned often called “green chiles”; use more if desired)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (I used my fresh-frozen lime juice)
- salt, fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in heavy soup pot, add onions and celery and saute about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, oregano, cumin, chile powder, sage, and turkey stock, lower heat to a simmer, and cook about 40 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add black beans, rinsing out the can with a small amount of water and adding all bean liquid. Simmer soup 15 minutes more.
- Add diced turkey and green chiles and simmer about 15 minutes more. Stir in fresh lime juice, season with salt and pepper as desired, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot, with additional fresh lime to squeeze into soup if desired.
This would be great with sour cream, chopped cilantro, or grated cheese, and you could even add crushed corn chips for family members who aren’t watching their carbs.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Sweet potatoes and black beans are both considered to be “good carbs” for the South Beach Diet, meaning they are digested slowly. This Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup with Black Beans would be suitable for phase 2 or 3 on South Beach, but It’s probably too high in carbs for other types of low-carb eating plans unless you use a lot more turkey and less beans and sweet potatoes.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.