Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach
This Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach can cook in the CrockPot all day while you’re at work! And this tasty soup is low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, and South Beach Diet friendly! Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach is a new low-carb and South Beach Diet friendly soup recipe you can put in the slow cooker and let cook all day while you’re at work. When you get home you’ll have to add the cabbage and spinach and cook for about another hour, but you can put your feet up and read the paper while the soup finishes. And if chop the cabbage and spinach the night before, your work will be done when you get home from work!
I ate the soup with sour cream when I made it, so that’s how I took the photos, but when I took this to my family Christmas party quite a few people there liked it with Parmesan cheese. I’m an equal opportunity soup garnisher, so take your choice on that. I call this soup spicy because I threw in a good pinch of red pepper flakes when I added the vegetables at the end, but if you’re making it for kids you can always leave that out.
Heat a little olive oil in a large heavy frying pan and brown the ground beef well. (If you don’t like the taste of beef fat in soup, rinse the cooked ground beef with VERY HOT water to remove some of the fat, especially when it’s going to cook for a long time like this.) Rinse the beans until no more foam appears. (This is a tiny colander, but it’s only one can of beans.) Chop up the celery and onion. (If you’re going to cook it all day, do all this the night before and store in individual containers in the fridge.)
Put the ground beef, chopped onion, chopped celery, garlic, canned tomatoes and water you rinse the can with, beef stock, vegetable stock, kidney beans, dried parsley, and dried thyme into the slow cooker and cook about 4 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low. After the soup had cooked that long, I tasted it and added a tiny bit of salt and some fresh ground black pepper. I also added a generous pinch of dried red pepper, totally optional, but good.
Thinly slice and chop the cabbage and chop spinach into fairly thin pieces so they don’t take too long to cook. (Or do this the night before if you’re cooking all day.) Stir in the vegetables, turn to high if you were cooking on low, and let cook about 1 hour longer, or until the cabbage is cooked. Then stir in 2-3 tablespoons of sherry vinegar (or use another vinegar if you don’t have that.) Serve hot with sour cream or Parmesan cheese to add at the table.
More Slow Cooker Soups You Might Like:
Slow Cooker Bean Soup with Ham, Spinach, and Thyme ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Cannellini Bean and Kale Soup with Shaved Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Lemony Turkey (or Chicken) Soup with Orzo ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Slow Cooker Recipe for Spicy Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach
This Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach can cook in the CrockPot all day while you’re at work!
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (use ground beef with less than 10% fat for South Beach Diet)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp. crushed garlic (or more)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) petite dice tomatoes with juice (rinse each can of tomatoes with 1/2 can of water)
- 4 cups homemade beef stock (or use 2 cans beef broth and a little water)
- 1 can vegetable broth
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups very thinly sliced and chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2-3 T sherry vinegar (or use any mild vinegar that you like)
- sour cream or grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy frying pan and cook ground beef until it’s well-browned, breaking apart with the turner as you cook. If desired, place the cooked ground beef in a fine mesh strainer and rinse with VERY HOT water to remove most of the fat.
- Chop the onion and celery and crush the garlic (or use crushed or pureed garlic from a jar.) Rinse the kidney beans with cold water until no more foam appears.
- Put the ground beef, chopped onion, chopped celery, garlic, canned tomatoes and water you rinse the cans with, beef stock, vegetable broth, kidney beans, dried parsley, and dried thyme into the slow cooker and cook about 4 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low. Taste soup and add salt and fresh-ground black pepper as desired. (I added a tiny bit of each.)
- While soup cooks, thinly slice the cabbage and chop the spinach. After soup has cooked 4 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low, add the cabbage and spinach, turn slow cooker to high if needed, and cook about 1 hour more, or until the cabbage is done.
- Stir in the sherry vinegar (start with 2 T and taste to see if you want to add more.) Serve hot, with sour cream or grated Parmesan cheese to add at the table.
- This freezes well. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then heat in the microwave or in a small pan on the stove.
If making this to cook all day while you’re at work, I recommend you brown and rinse the ground beef, chop onions, chop celery, crush garlic, slice and chop cabbage, and chop the spinach the night before to make it easy to put the soup together in the morning. Store these prepped ingredients in containers in the fridge, not in the slow cooker crock.
This recipe was created by Kalyn with inspiration from a soup recipe in Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook.
I used a 4.5 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If made with lean ground beef, this Slow Cooker Spicy Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach that’s loaded with low-glycemic ingredients would be great for any phase of the South Beach Diet. Soup with beans would be too high in carbs for a low-carb diet, but I bet you could make a pretty tasty soup by doubling the beef and adding some low-carb veggies to replace the beans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. (New recipes won’t show up in Yummly right away and information there is not always 100% accurate.) Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.