Slow Cooker Ground Beef Soup with Cabbage
This Slow Cooker Ground Beef Soup with Cabbage can cook in the CrockPot all day and this soup is just a little bit spicy! Check out Ground Beef Vegetable Soup to make this soup on the stove!
People are using their slow cookers a lot more during these times when we’re stuck at home and have to cook more, so this week for Friday Favorites I’m reminding you are about this tasty Slow Cooker Ground Beef Soup with Cabbage. This is a soup recipe you can put in the slow cooker and let it cook all day, then when it’s almost dinner time you add the cabbage and spinach and cook for about another hour and you can put your feet up and relax while the soup finishes. And if you chop the cabbage and spinach when the soup goes into the slow cooker, your work will be done!
The original version of this soup had a can of pinto beans, but now I don’t want quite so many carbs so I switched that out for frozen cauliflower rice. Just use the link to that printer-friendly recipe to make the original version if you prefer. And check out the Ground Beef Vegetable Soup that’s a stove-top version of this recipe that makes a big pot of soup so you can stash some in the freezer if you’d like. That one was also a big hit when I tried it out on some of my friends.
I’m someone who’d always add sour cream to a soup like this, but when I tried it out on some family members a few people liked it with Parmesan cheese. I’m an equal opportunity soup garnisher, so take your choice on that. I threw in a good pinch of red pepper flakes to make this a bit spicy when I added the vegetables at the end, but if you’re making it for kids you can always leave that out. Hope you enjoy, and happy weekend everyone!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- olive oil
- lean ground beef
- crushed garlic
- canned petite dice tomatoes
- beef stock (or broth)
- vegetable broth
- dried parsley
- dried thyme
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- frozen cauliflower rice
- green cabbage
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- sherry vinegar (or use any mild vinegar that you like)
How to Make Slow Cooker Ground Beef Soup with Cabbage:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Heat a little olive oil in a large heavy frying pan and brown the ground beef well.
- Chop up the celery and onion. (If you’re going to cook it all day, do all this the night before and store in individual containers in the fridge.)
- Put the ground beef, chopped onion, chopped celery, garlic, canned tomatoes and water you rinse the can with, beef stock, vegetable stock, dried parsley, dried thyme, and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) into the slow cooker.
- Cook about 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- After the soup had cooked that long, I tasted it and added a tiny bit of salt and some fresh ground black pepper. I also added a generous pinch of dried red pepper, totally optional, but good.
- Thinly slice and chop the cabbage and chop spinach into fairly thin pieces so they don’t take too long to cook. (Or do this the night before if you’re prepping ahead to cook the soup all day.)
- Stir in the vegetables and the frozen cauliflower rice, turn the slow cooker to high if you were cooking on low, and let cook about 1 hour longer, or until the cabbage and cauliflower rice is cooked.
- Then stir in 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar (or use another vinegar if you don’t have that.)
- Serve hot with sour cream or Parmesan cheese to add at the table.
More Slow Cooker Dinners You Might Like:
Slow Cooker Bean Soup with Ham, Spinach, and Thyme ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cook-All Day Slow Cooker Soups ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Cannellini Bean and Kale Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Amazing Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker Turkey Soup with Spinach and Lemon ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen<
25 Low-Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Dinners ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 T crushed garlic (or more)
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite dice tomatoes with juice
- rinse the can of tomatoes with 1/2 can of water
- 4 cups homemade beef stock (see notes)
- 1 14 oz. can vegetable broth
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower rice (or a little more)
- 3 cups very thinly sliced and chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 T sherry vinegar (or use any mild vinegar that you like)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy frying pan and cook ground beef until it’s well-browned, breaking apart with the turner as you cook.
- Chop the onion and celery.
- Put the ground beef, chopped onion, chopped celery, crushed garlic, canned tomatoes and water you rinse the cans with, beef stock, vegetable broth, dried parsley, dried thyme and Spike Seasoning into the slow cooker and cook about 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- While soup cooks, thinly slice the cabbage and chop the spinach. Take cauliflower rice out of the freezer, measure 1 1/2 cups, and let it thaw on the counter for an hour or so if possible.
- After soup has cooked 4 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low, add the cauliflower rice, cabbage, and spinach, turn the slow cooker to high if needed, and cook about 1 hour more, or until the cabbage and cauliflower rice is done. (Add the pinch of red pepper now if you're using it.)
- Taste soup and add salt and fresh-ground black pepper as desired. (I added a tiny bit of each.)
- Stir in the sherry vinegar or other vinegar (start with 2 T and taste to see if you want to add more.) Serve hot, with sour cream or grated Parmesan cheese to add at the table.
- This freezes well. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then heat in the microwave or in a small pan on the stove.
I used a Crock-Pot 5-Quart Smart-Pot Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe.
If making this to cook all day, you might want to brown the ground beef, chop onions, chop celery, crush garlic, slice and chop cabbage, and chop the spinach the night before to make it easy to put the soup together in the morning. Store these prepped ingredients in containers in the fridge, not in the slow cooker crock.
This recipe was created by Kalyn with inspiration from a soup recipe in Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 8.6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4.3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 1150mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 4gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one. If made with lean ground beef, this Slow Cooker Ground Beef Soup with Cabbage that’s loaded with low-glycemic ingredients would be great for any phase of the original South Beach Diet and most types of low-carb diets
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!