Curried Sauteed Cauliflower
Curried Sauteed Cauliflower is called Gobi TakTakin in India, where it’s a delicious and popular dish that’s sold on the street. This fun way to cook cauliflower is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, Paleo, Whole 30, vegan, South Beach Diet Phase One, and perfect for Meatless Monday! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Back in the early days of my blog I did a whole series of recipes adapted from Mark Bittman’s The Best Recipes in the World. This international cookbook has dishes that Bittman traveled around the world to sample, and I think I’ve liked every recipe I’ve made from the book. This dish of chopped cauliflower sauteed with red onions, cumin seeds, and curry powder is called Gobi Taktakin in India, suppposedly because of the “tak-tak” sound made by knives of the street vendors when they chop up the cauliflower as it cooks.
This is a recipe where the chopped cauliflower, onion, and spices are quickly sauteed over high heat, and I like the way the cauliflower still has a little crunch when it’s done. Mark Bittman says that cumin seeds are optional in the recipe, but they’re so traditional in Indian cooking and they add so much flavor that I’d probably opt for a recipe like Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon, Curry, and Cumin if you only have ground cumin.
The recipe as Bittman wrote it has chopped cilantro mixed in and also sprinkled on top as a garnish, but if you’re a cilantro hater I think mint or flat parsley would be good in this. And please don’t skip the fresh lime squeezed over as you eat it! (Curried Sauteed Cauliflower was updated with new photos and better instructions, October 2011.)
Chop up the cauliflower into small pieces. Finely chop enough red onion (or shallots) to make 1/2 cup. Heat the oil, sizzle the cumin seeds for 30 seconds, then add the cauliflower, red onion, curry powders, and start to cook over medium high heat. Continue cooking about 6-8 minutes, stirring a few times (but not too often so the onion and cauliflower will get slightly browned.) It’s done when the cauliflower is cooked through but still slightly crisp. When cauliflower is done, turn off the heat and mix in most of the chopped cilantro (or other herb of your choice), saving some to sprinkle on top.
More Tasty Ideas with Cauliflower:
Cauliflower Rice with Fried Onions and Sumac from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Cauliflower Slices with Kalamata Olive and Garlic Vinaigrette from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Farro and Roasted Cauliflower Salad from [No Recipes]
Lemon Roasted Cauliflower with Cumin and Sumac from Everybody Likes Sandwiches
Pan-Fried Cauliflower with Yogurt and Soy Sauce from eCurry
Make it a Meal: I’d eat this with something like Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Spicy Peanut Sauce or Janet’s Mustard Chicken.
Curried Sauteed Cauliflower
Curried Sauteed Cauliflower is called Gobi TakTakin in India, where it’s a delicious and popular dish that’s sold on the street.
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into very small pieces
- 2 T peanut oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seed (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion or shallots
- 1 tsp. sweet curry (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. hot curry (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup or more fresh cilantro, chopped (or use mint or parsley if you’re not a cilantro fan)
- 1 fresh lime, cut to squeeze over when eating
- Use a large frying pan which will hold all the cauliflower in a single layer.
- Preheat the pan for 30 seconds over medium-high heat, then add oil and heat about 1 minute.
- Add cumin seeds and saute 30 seconds.
- Then add onion, cauliflower, curry powders, salt and pepper and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring only occasionally so the onion carmelizes and cauliflower gets slightly browned. (It’s done when the cauliflower is cooked through but still slightly crisp.)
- Add most of chopped cilantro (or other herb) and stir, then put on serving dish.
- Top with the rest of the chopped cilantro.
- Serve with cut limes to squeeze over.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Curried Sauteed Cauliflower would be a great side dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet, or any other type of low-carb eating plan, even Paleo if you use approved oil.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.