Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious Grilled Chicken
Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious Grilled Chicken is as easy as it gets for tasty grilled chicken when you need a no-fuss dinner idea! Use Grilling Recipes for more ideas like this one.
If you’re a busy parent who wants something easy that kids will eat or a low-carb eater who doesn’t like to fuss too much with cooking, this Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious Grilled Chicken just might become one of your favorites. There aren’t a lot of recipes using packaged ingredients on my blog, but this favorite grilled chicken with only five ingredients is something I’ve been making for years and years. I actually first shared the recipe more than 10 years ago, and I’m excited to remind you about it for this week’s Friday Favorites post!
This recipe uses all the tricks I share in my post on how to make juicy grilled chicken breasts but instead of a homemade marinade, this one just mixes a few packaged ingredients and you’re ready to marinate! You can also use the same marinade for kabobs or tin-foil dinners, so check for links below for those variations. And I’m sure this marinade would also be great for grilled chicken thighs or legs, either with or without the skin if that’s what your family would prefer.
This is one of the 5 Ingredients or Less Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen, but I promise this will not disappoint in the flavor department even though it’s ridiculously easy to make. The recipes makes eight servings, and the leftover chicken is great in lettuce wraps or on a salad, but you can easily make half the amount if you prefer.
I actually sometimes pour out a tiny bit of dressing and mix the marinade right in the bottle! I use Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing, mixed with a package of Zesty Italian Salad Dressing Mix (dry mix; no-name brand is fine), a bit of Spike Seasoning (or your favorite all-purpose seasoning blend), and some black pepper. I get ready to marinate by trimming the chicken and then making small slits the length of each chicken breast to help the chicken cook evenly and provide more surface for the marinade to coat with flavor. The put the chicken in a Ziploc bag or plastic container, add enough marinade to cover, and let it marinate all day.
(I only made half the recipe to take new photos, so I wrote MARINADE on the bottle and saved the extra marinade in the fridge.)
When you’re ready to cook drain chicken and let it come to room temperature. Preheat the grill to medium-high and spray with non-stick spray or brush with oil. Lay chicken at an angle to grill grates, top side down, and cook 3-4 minutes, or until you see grill marks. Then rotate going the other direction and cook 3-4 minutes, until you see criss-cross marks. Turn chicken over and cook until it’s firm but not hard to the touch), about 4 minutes more.
Serve hot. Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious grilled Chicken was featured in a round-up of 10 Easy Marinated Grilled Chicken Recipes at Parade.com, and this recipe has had a lot of fans through the years!
Make it a Meal:
Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious Grilled Chicken is shown in the photo with Easy Low-Carb Cucumbers Caesar, which would be great for a low-carb summer meal.
More Recipes for Easy Chicken Dinners:
Variations for this Recipe:
Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious Grilled Chicken
Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious Grilled Chicken is as easy as it gets for tasty grilled chicken, and the marinade has only 4 ingredients!
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 16 oz. bottle Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing (You can probably use any type of Italian dressing made with olive oil that’s low in sugar.)
- 1 pkg. Zesty Italian dressing mix (powdered mix)
- 1 T Spike Seasoning (or less, this is optional but good. You can use other all purpose seasoning mixes if you have one you like)
- Coarse ground black pepper to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp.)
- (Click this link to see step-by-step photos of how to make juicy grilled chicken breasts.)
- Trim all visible fat and membranes from chicken breasts, then cut small crosswise slits about 1/2 inch apart down the length of each chicken breast. (This gives more surface area for the marinade to cover and makes chicken cook more quickly and evenly. It also gives a nice look to the cooked chicken breasts.)
- Combine marinade ingredients and mix together. (You can pour out a bit of the dressing and combine ingredients in the bottle, then shake well.)
- Put chicken in single layer in a ziploc bag.
- Pour marinade over chicken. (If you’re not using all the marinade, just label it and store in refrigerator for next time.)
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator 6 hours or longer. This is great to put in the refrigerator in the morning when you go to work and cook after work that night.
- To cook, remove chicken from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
- Spray grill with non-stick spray or olive oil, and preheat to medium high. (You can only hold your hand there for 2-3 seconds at that heat.)
- Have a spray bottle ready to spray flames which may shoot up when chicken is first put on the grill.
- Drain chicken, then put it on the grill at an angle to grill grates with top side of chicken down.
- After 3-4 minutes (when you see grill marks), rotate so it’s going the opposite angle to get criss-cross marks.
- Cook 3-4 minutes more, then when you have good grill marks turn and cook until chicken is well browned and firm but not hard to the touch.
- Actual cooking time will depend on how hot your grill is, temperature of the chicken, and even air temperature if you’re cooking outside, but I cooked the chicken in the photos about 12 minutes. For best results, use an Instant-Read Meat Thermometer and cook chicken until it reaches 165F/75C. (Don’t baste chicken with reserved marinade which contains bacteria from the raw chicken.)
This same marinade recipe can be used on chicken-veggie kabobs or chicken-veggie tin foil dinners.
I got this recipe from a man named George Bauer who I lost track of years ago.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The dressing I used in this marinade for Completely Foolproof 100% Delicious Grilled Chicken has only 1 gram of sugar per serving, making it perfect for the South Beach Diet or any type of low-carb eating plan. (It’s probably gluten-free but check your label ingredients to make sure.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.