Chicken Souvlaki served with fresh Tzatziki Sauce is a perfect low-carb main dish for a summer dinner!
Souvlaki is a dish that’s so classic it’s part of Wikipedia, which defines it as small pieces of meat grilled on a skewer. If I were writing the definition, I’d add that the Greek cooking trinity of lemon, garlic, and oregano would have to be included, and for this tasty Chicken Souvlaki I also added a touch of thyme to the marinade.
I like traditional Souvlaki made from pork, as well as Lamb Souvlaki, but for a light summer meal I don’t think you can beat the combination of Chicken Souvlaki, served with Tzatziki Sauce, and one of My Top Ten Low-Carb Salads with Feta Cheese. I first made this tasty Chicken Souvlaki many years ago but the photos were probably not good enough to entice many people to try it, so recently I made it again to get better photos.
Marinating all day is fairly important here, so this is a perfect dish to marinate in the fridge while you’re at work and then cook when you get home. You can even marinade overnight and the next day and then cook. Chicken Souvlaki is an American dish that’s not found in Greece much, but it’s tasty and easy for low-carb summer dinner!
Steps for Making Chicken Souvlaki:
(This is just a summary of the steps in the photos above. Scroll down to see the actual recipe including nutritional information.)
- Mix lemon, garlic, oregano, and thyme, plus a healthy dose of olive oil to make the marinade for the chicken.
- Cut the chicken breasts into pieces. (Next time I might make them slightly smaller, just over 1″ square.)
- Put chicken into a Zip-loc bag, add marinade, and let chicken marinate in the refrigerator all day while you’re at work, or 8-10 hours
- When you’re ready to cook, drain chicken into a colander placed in the sink and let it come to room temperature while you preheat grill to medium-high. (Spray the grill with non-stick grill spray or brush with oil before you preheat.)
- I love to use my blade type skewers (affiliate link) or double skewers (affiliate link) which really keep the meat from spinning on the grill, but if you don’t have skewers like this try to fold over each piece of chicken when you put it on the skewer.
- Cook the chicken on the first side until you start to see grill marks.
- Turn over and continue to cook, until you have grill marks on the second side.
- Turn and cook several more times, until the meat is just starting to feel firm and nicely browned. I cooked these about 15 minutes total cooking time on a medium-high grill.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
More Versions of Souvlaki to Try:
This recipe created by Kalyn.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Chicken Souvlaki like this is a perfect main dish for a low-carb meal as well as any phase of the South Beach Diet or any other low-glycemic eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.