Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage (Video)
This low-carb Breakfast Casserole has Italian sausage, mushrooms, and cheese and this is a delicious breakfast for anyone who loves Italian Sausage!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, and Cheese!
Years ago (when I was in the middle of house renovations!) I created this tasty Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage. And at the time I was so proud that I had been frugal and made up a new breakfast casserole recipe out of a couple of Italian Sausages I found in the fridge. Now fast forward 9 years and a new house later, and I’m still making this delicious breakfast casserole with Italian Sausage!
Now I make a bigger version and use the whole package of Italian sausage links, and recently I noticed that the old photos weren’t really showing this recipe off to it’s full glory. So last week I made it again and took new photos, and I just ate the last bit warmed up for breakfast as I was updating this post!
And YUM! I’m so glad I had the slightly crazy idea of putting turkey Italian sausage into a breakfast casserole. This Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage has fewer eggs than many of my low-carb breakfast casseroles, letting the flavors of the Italian sausage and mushrooms really shine.
I use Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausage, my favorite sausage for low-carb recipes with Italian sausage, and if you use that and use low-fat cheese this low-carb dish can also be South Beach Diet friendly. And if you’d like to make a version that’s Keto, just use pork Italian Sausage and full-fat cheese. This will be delicious either way you make it, and if you’re an Italian sausage fan like I am, it just might become one of those breakfasts you make over and over!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- uncooked turkey or pork Italian sausage
- olive oil
- sliced mushrooms
- grated Mozzarella cheese
- green onions
- cottage cheese,
- Spike seasoning or any other spice blend you like with eggs
- coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C and spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Brown the Italian sausage of your choice and add it to the casserole dish.
- Then brown the mushrooms and layer them over the sausage in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle half the grated cheese and the green onions over the sausage-mushroom mixture. (Bad blogger; I didn’t get a photo of that!)
- Rinse the cottage cheese in a fine-mesh colander and let it drain well.
- Beat eggs. Add Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), cottage cheese, and Parmesan cheese to the eggs and pour it over the sausage-mushrooms-cheese mixture;.
- Then take a fork and gently stir so all ingredients are well-combined.
- Season with a little fresh-ground black pepper and sprinkle the other cup of grated cheese over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the middle is completely set and the top is starting to lightly brown.
- Serve the Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, and Cheese hot.
This is good with a little sour cream on top if you’re a sour cream fan. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge and quickly reheated in the microwave.
More Low-Carb Ideas for Italian Sausage:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 19.5 oz. uncooked turkey or pork Italian sausage
- 2 tsp. olive oil + 2 tsp. olive oil (more or less, depending on your pan)
- 1 lb. sliced mushrooms (pre-sliced mushrooms make it easy, but rinse them before you slice if you're not using those)
- 2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, plus more to sprinkle over the top (optional but good)
- 1 cup cottage cheese, rinsed and drained
- 10 eggs, beaten until whites and yolks are well combined
- 1 tsp. Spike seasoning (optional but recommended, can also use any other spice blend you like with eggs)
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a large casserole dish (about 9" x 13") with non-stick spray.
- Add 2 tsp. olive oil to a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, squeeze turkey Italian sausage out of casings, and cook until sausage is done and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. I used the sharp side of a metal turner to break the sausage apart as it cooked.
- When sausage is done, spread out in a layer in the casserole dish.
- Wash mushrooms if needed, spin or pat dry, and slice (or use pre-sliced mushrooms). Heat another 2 tsp oil in the same frying pan and cook mushrooms until all liquid is released and evaporated and they're starting to brown slightly.
- Layer mushrooms over the sausage in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 1 cup grated cheese and 1/4 cup sliced green onions over the sausage and mushrooms.
- While sausage and mushrooms cook, put cottage cheese into a fine strainer, put strainer in sink and rinse cottage cheese gently with cold water and let drain well.
- Break eggs into a medium sized bowl or large glass measuring cup, then beat with a fork until yolks and whites are well combined. Add Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), drained cottage cheese, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and stir together.
- Then pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Use a fork to gently stir so all ingredients are coated with egg and well-combined.
- Sprinkle the other cup of grated cheese over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the center is completely set and the top of the breakfast casserole is starting to lightly brown.
- Serve hot, garnished with more green onions if desired.
This is also good served with sour cream. Egg casseroles like this can be kept in the fridge for up to a week and reheated quickly in the microwave. Be careful not to microwave too long.
This recipe first created by Kalyn in 2009 when her house was being renovated and she was trying to use up what was in the fridge! Updated with new photos in 2018.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 340mgSodium: 759mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, and Cheese recipe is great for low-carb or low-glycemic eating plans, including Keto if you use pork sausage. If made with turkey Italian sausage and low-fat cheese, this is a great dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet, although you might want to use a bit less cheese if you’re strictly following South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.