Sausage, Lentil, and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Sausage, Lentil, and Roasted Red Pepper Soup is one of my favorites and this delicious soup is gluten-free, low-glycemic, dairy-free, and South Beach Diet Phase One. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Sometimes I feel like a very bad blogger indeed! This week food bloggers everywhere are posting Superbowl party food and I’m over here sharing updated photos for this deliciously healthy Sausage, Lentil, and Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Of course, if you’re looking for carb-conscious Superbowl recipes, there’s a round-up of 50+ Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Superbowl Appetizer Recipes, but since the entire east coast of the U.S. is snowed in, it seems like soup is a good menu choice for lots of people. There’s not much snow right now at my house, but I know we’ll have plenty more snowy days before spring, and when we do I have a few containers of this soup in my diet-friendly freezer!
I did change the recipe slightly for this update, using a whole package (19.5 oz.) of sweet turkey Italian sausage, which makes this a more carb-conscious recipe. Lentil are high in fiber too, so I think this soup would be a good choice for any type most low-carb eaters with that change. And more sausage, mmm. I love all the flavors in this soup, hope you enjoy.
Brown the sausage well and put it in the soup pot. (I use Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausage, which is gluten-free, but use pork Italian sausage if you prefer more fat.) Then brown the onions and add to the soup pot with the chicken stock, lentils, ground fennel, thyme, and sage. Drain the roasted red peppers while the soup simmers until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
When the lentils are tender, chop the roasted red pepper and add to the soup; then let it simmer about 45 minutes more.
Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and enjoy!
It’s Easy to Love Soup with Lentils:
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Greek Lentil Soup with Tomatoes, Spinach, and Feta ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Hearty Lentil and Black Bean Soup with Smoked Paprika ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Lentil Soup with Ground Beef and Brown Rice ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkish Red Lentil Soup with Sumac ~ eCurry
Vegan Mexican Red Lentil Soup with Lime and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lentil Soup with Parmesan and Smoked Sausage ~ The Wicked Noodle
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Sausage, Lentil, and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Sausage, Lentil, and Roasted Red Pepper Soup is one of my favorites and this delicious soup makes a great cold weather meal.
- 1 package (19.5 oz.) turkey or pork Italian Sausage
- 2 tsp. olive oil (or more, depending on your pan)
- 1 onion, diced into small pieces
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock (or use 3 cans chicken broth plus a little water)
- 2 tsp. ground fennel (do not leave out)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage (dried)
- 1 12 oz. jar roasted red pepper
- Heat olive oil in heavy frying pan, add Italian sausage and brown well, breaking sausage into pieces as it cooks. (I like to use an old-fashioned Potato Masher to break the meat apart.)
- Add sausage to soup pot.
- In same pan, adding more oil if needed, brown onions until softened and barely starting to brown.
- Add onions to soup pot.
- Rinse out pan with 1 cup homemade chicken stock , then add to soup pot along with rest of stock, lentils, ground fennel, thyme, and sage.
- Cook at lowest possible simmer for about 45 minutes, until lentils are softened, but still holding their shape.
- Drain the roasted red peppers while the soup simmers, then chop into pieces about 1/2 inch square.
- Add red pepper to soup and cook about 45 minutes more (adding a little more stock or water if needed), until some lentils are starting to fall apart and all flavors are well blended.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With turkey Italian Sausage, this Sausage, Lentil, and Roasted Red Pepper Soup would be acceptable for any phase of the South Beach Diet and it’s also great for other low-glycemic eating plans. Lentils are considered a “good carb” for South Beach, but limit them to a small serving for phase one. Even though there’s a generous amount of sausage in this soup, lentils are probably too high in carbs for it to be considered a low-carb soup. You could use less lentils and more sausage if you wanted a soup that was lower in carbs, and use pork Italian Sausage if you prefer
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.
This delicious lentil soup was first posted in 2007 for Peabody’s virtual housewarming party and I’ve enjoyed it many times since then. Photos were updated January 2015.
I recommend gluten-free Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausage for this soup, but Jenni-O has never paid me to promote their products and I’m pretty sure they don’t even know I’m alive! (I don’t accept payment to promote products and only recommend things I love enough to buy myself.)