Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole with Feta
Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole uses roasted cherry tomatoes and bell pepper in a low-carb breakfast casserole. And this recipe is loaded with flavor from Feta and oregano.
This tasty Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole is a recipe I created when I was just making something to eat, and I had one of those big containers of cherry tomatoes from Costco, and the recipe turned out so well I decided to make it again and take photos for the blog. I always have a hard time using all the tomatoes before they start to shrivel, and when I was thinking about what to do with slightly-shriveled cherry tomatoes I hit on the idea of roasting them for a breakfast casserole. There was a green bell pepper in the fridge, and adding some dried oregano and Feta cheese gave it a bit of Greek flavor.
I’ve made a lot of low-carb breakfast casseroles through the years simply combining what’s in the fridge, I think this new combination is definitely a winner. And if anyone is wondering why I’m making breakfast casserole when it’s 90 degrees in the shade, I cooked it in my Oster Toaster Oven (affiliate link)!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- green bell pepper
- olive oil
- Dried Oregano (affiliate link)
- cherry tomatoes
- crumbled Feta cheese
- 10 eggs
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or other all-purpose seasoning blend
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
Can you make this recipe with fresh chopped tomatoes?
If you have lots of garden tomatoes, you can definitely make this recipe with a cup of fresh-chopped tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes. I’d cut the tomatoes and drain them in a colander before you roast them.
What if you’re not a fan of Feta cheese?
If you’re not a fan of Feta, use another white cheese like goat cheese, Swiss, or Mozzarella in this recipe.
How to make Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Cut the green pepper into short strips.
- Brush the baking dish with olive oil, then add peppers, sprinkle with oregano and roast peppers in a 375F/190C oven for about 10 minutes.
- While peppers roast, cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Add the cut tomatoes to the casserole dish, and stir to distribute. Roast about 15 minutes more, or until the tomatoes are starting to look a bit shriveled.
- Beat the eggs and crumble the Feta.
- Sprinkle crumbled Feta cheese over the roasted tomatoes and bell pepper.
- Pour over the beaten egg that’s seasoned with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and fresh ground black pepper. (I always stir this a little to get the ingredients well-distributed in the egg.)
- Bake the casserole about 30-35 minutes (or a bit less if you use a shallower dish than I did), or until the top is lightly browned and eggs are set.
- It will puff up a bit like this when it first comes out of the oven, but it settles down after it cools for a few minutes.
- Serve Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole hot.
- This is good with a little sour cream to add at the table if you’re a sour cream fan.
More Savory Breakfasts to Enjoy:
Crustless Three- Cheese Tomato-Basil Quiche ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomato, Pepper, and Egg Breakfast Skillet ~ Country Cleaver
Zucchini Frittata ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Tomato Breakfast Cups ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomato Breakfast Tart ~ Family Food on the Table
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into thin strips
- olive oil, for brushing baking pan (or use nonstick spray)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (optional, but good)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (see notes)
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese (more or less to taste)
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning
- salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning eggs
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375F/190C.
- Brush 9″ x 13″ (or similar size) baking dish with olive oil, including the sides, or spray with nonstick spray.
- Cut out seeds from green pepper, then cut into short thin slices.
- Put green pepper into baking dish, sprinkle dried oregano over, and roast for 10 minutes.
- While green pepper roasts, cut cherry tomatoes in half. Break eggs into a bowl and beat until egg yolks and whites are well combined.
- Season eggs with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- After peppers roast for 10 minutes, add cut cherry tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Put dish back in oven and roast 15 minutes more, or until tomatoes start to look slightly cooked.
- Sprinkle Feta cheese over roasted peppers and tomatoes, then pour beaten eggs over. (I used a fork to stir slightly so the roasted peppers and tomatoes were evenly distributed in the eggs.)
- Return pan to oven and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and eggs are set. (I had a deep dish, so if you’re using a flatter dish it will take less time.
- It will puff up a bit when it cooks, but after it cools for a few minutes the casserole will settle.)
- Serve hot.
- This is good served with a dollop of low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt.
- This casserole can be kept in the fridge and reheated in a microwave, but be careful not to microwave too long or the eggs will get rubbery.
This is a perfect way to use those last few cherry tomatoes that are getting a bit shriveled.
This recipe created by Kalyn when she had a surplus of cherry tomatoes that needed to be used!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 363mgSodium: 775mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole is a good breakfast dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one.Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2010 when I had cherry tomatoes that were begging to be used. It was updated with greatly-improved photos in 2017 and was last updated with more information in 2021.