Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole with Feta and Oregano
This Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole has all the flavors of summer! And this delicious low-carb breakfast casserole is also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, meatless, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
This tasty Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole is a recipe I created back in 2010 when I was just making something to eat, and then it turned out so well I decided to make it again and take photos for the blog. It was inspired by one of those big plastic containers of cherry tomatoes from Costco, and my habit of buying those big containers regularly is one of the reasons I’ve kept making this so often through the years.
It seems I can rarely manage to use all the tomatoes before they start to shrivel, and when I was thinking about what to do with slightly-shriveled cherry tomatoes I hit on the idea of roasting them for a breakfast casserole. There was a green bell pepper in the fridge that was begging to go into this, and adding some dried oregano and Feta cheese gave it a bit of Greek flavor. I’ve made a lot of low-carb breakfast casseroles through the years, I think this combination is definitely a winner, and I’m happy it’s finally getting better photos so people are more inspired to make it.
If anyone is wondering why I’m making breakfast casserole when it’s 90 degrees in the shade, I cooked it in my Oster Toaster Oven! Cut the green pepper into short strips, brush baking dish with olive oil, then sprinkle with oregano and roast in a 375F/190C oven for about 10 minutes. Then add the cut tomatoes, and stir to distribute. Roast about 15 minutes more, or until the tomatoes are starting to look a bit shriveled like this.
Sprinkle crumbled Feta cheese over the roasted tomatoes and bell pepper. Pour over the beaten egg that’s seasoned with Spike Seasoning, salt, and fresh ground black pepper. (I always stir this a little to get the ingredients well-distributed in the egg.)
Bake the casserole about 30-35 minutes (or a bit less if you use a shallower dish than I did), or until the top is lightly browned and eggs are set. (It will puff up a bit like this when it first comes out of the oven, but it settles down after it cools for a few minutes.)
Serve Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole hot; this is good with a little sour cream to add at the table if you’re a sour cream fan.
More Savory Breakfasts to Enjoy:
Crustless Three- Cheese Tomato-Basil Quiche ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomato, Pepper, and Egg Breakfast Skillet ~ Country Cleaver
Three Cheese Zucchini Frittata with Mozzarella, Feta, and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Tomato Breakfast Cups ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Low-Carb Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomato Breakfast Tart ~ Family Food on the Table
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole
This delicious low-carb breakfast casserole has all the flavors of summer!
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into thin strips
- olive oil, for brushing baking pan (or use nonstick spray)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (optional, but good)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (This is a perfect way to use those last tomatoes that are getting a bit shriveled)
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese (more or less to taste)
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning
- salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning eggs
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375F/190C.
- Brush 9″ x 13″ (or similar size) baking dish with olive oil, including the sides, or spray with nonstick spray.
- Cut out seeds from green pepper, then cut into short thin slices.
- Put green pepper into baking dish, sprinkle dried oregano over, and roast for 10 minutes.
- While green pepper roasts, cut cherry tomatoes in half. Break eggs into a bowl and beat until egg yolks and whites are well combined.
- Season eggs with Spike Seasoning, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- After peppers roast for 10 minutes, add cut cherry tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Put dish back in oven and roast 15 minutes more, or until tomatoes start to look slightly cooked.
- Sprinkle Feta cheese over roasted peppers and tomatoes, then pour beaten eggs over. (I used a fork to stir slightly so the roasted peppers and tomatoes were evenly distributed in the eggs.)
- Return pan to oven and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and eggs are set. (I had a deep dish, so if you’re using a flatter dish it will take less time.
- It will puff up a bit when it cooks, but after it cools for a few minutes the casserole will settle.)
- Serve hot.
- This is good served with a dollop of low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt.
- This casserole can be kept in the fridge and reheated in a microwave, but be careful not to microwave too long or the eggs will get rubbery.
This recipe created by Kalyn when she had a surplus of cherry tomatoes that needed to be used!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Green Pepper and Tomato Breakfast Casserole is a good breakfast dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. For Keto, use less tomatoes if you prefer, since they have the most carbs.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.