Val’s Easy Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan (Video)
My sister Val’s Easy Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan is so delicious and incredibly easy to make! Use less tomatoes if you prefer even fewer carbs.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Val’s Easy Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan
We only have a couple more days before it’s officially Autumn, but over the weekend my sister Val came for a wedding shower for my beautiful niece Emma, and when she was here Val gave me a big bag of zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumbers from her garden. Val had given me this recipe for Val’s Easy Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan a few years ago at this same time of year, so it seemed like the perfect time to make this again and get better photos.
This combination of yellow squash stir-fried with onion and garlic, barely warmed tomatoes, and Parmesan is delicious for a low-carb and gluten-free way to use summer squash, and this literally takes minutes to make. (My sister Val is a genius at these easy recipes using garden produce and Val’s Kid-Friendly Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni is another easy recipe she makes with her garden squash.)
If you still have yellow squash in the garden or you’re getting it at the Farmers Market, I hope you’ll put this recipe on your *Must Try* list! You’ll make it over and over once you try it.
How to Make Val’s Easy Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Cut up half a large onion and mince a generous amount of fresh garlic. Cut cherry tomatoes in half so you have about a cup. Cut the yellow squash in half or quarters, and then into slices about 3/4 – 1 inch thick.
- Heat the olive oil in wok or large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and saute the onion for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and cookabout another minute.
- Add the squash pieces and cook until the squash is cooked through and starting to brown, but still slightly crisp.
- Add the cherry tomato halves and cook only about 1 minute, just until they are barely warmed.
- Season the dish with salt and fresh ground black pepper, add the Parmesan cheese, remove from heat and serve immediately!
Make it a Meal:
This would be delicious with Grilled Chicken with Lemon, Capers, and Oregano or Grilled Lamb Chops with Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme for a low-carb meal.
More Recipes for Summer Squash:
The BEST Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Garlic-Parmesan Yellow Squash Chips from Diethood
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup with Rosemary and Parmesan from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Summer Squash Enchiladas from Homesick Texan
- 1 T olive oil, divided (or slightly more, depending on your pan)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced (or to taste)
- 2 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 cup cherry tomato halves
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (more or less to taste)
- Diced onion, mince garlic, and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut both ends off squash, then cut lengthwise into halves (or fourths if the squash is larger.)
- Slice the squash into 3/4 – 1 inch slices.
- Have the oil and Parmesan cheese ready.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and saute the onion pieces 2-3 minutes, until they are starting to soften but aren’t browned.
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Then add the squash pieces and 1 more tsp. oil (if needed) and cook squash, turning often, for 6-8 minutes or until the squash is cooked through and starting to brown but is still slightly crisp.
- Stir in the cherry tomato halves and cook 1 minute, just until the tomatoes are warmed.
- Season the dish with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over, and serve immediately.
Recipe created by Kalyn's sister Val.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan would be approved for all phases of the original South Beach Diet, although Parmesan cheese is a limited food so don’t overdo it on the cheese if you’re following South Beach. This is also a great choice for most other types of low-carb eating plans, although you might want to use less tomatoes (and maybe more cheese) for low-carb diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.