Val’s Easy and Amazing Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan (Video)
Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan is amazing recipes that’s courtesy of my sister Val, and this tasty summer squash is low-carb, low-glycemic, and gluten-free! Use less tomatoes if you prefer for ever fewer carbs. Use Zucchini Recipes to find more recipes like this.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Val’s Easy and Amazing Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan
We only have a couple more days before it’s officially Autumn, but over the weekend my sister Val came for a wedding shower for my beautiful niece Emma, and when she was here Val gave me a big bag of zucchini, yellow squash, and cucumbers from her garden. Val had given me this recipe for Val’s Easy and Amazing Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan a few years ago at this same time of year, so it seemed like the perfect time to make this again and get better photos.
This combination of yellow squash sauteed with onion and garlic, barely warmed tomatoes, and Parmesan is delicious for a low-carb and gluten-free way to use summer squash, and this literally takes minutes to make. (My sister Val is a genius at these easy recipes using garden produce and Val’s Kid-Friendly Broiled Zucchini with Mozzarella and Pepperoni is another easy recipe she makes with her garden squash.) If you still have yellow squash in the garden or at the Farmers Market, I hope you’ll put this recipe on your *Must Try* list! You’ll make it over and over once you try it.
Of course yellow squash and cherry tomatoes are available from the grocery story nearly year-round, but I wouldn’t make this in the dead of winter when those veggies from the store get expensive and aren’t great quality. The flavor of yellow squash is best when the squash is still tender and fairly pale yellow, so if you have a garden (or are getting them from the farmers market) try to find the paler ones.
Cut up half a large onion and mince a generous amount of fresh garlic. Cut cherry tomatoes in half so you have about a cup. Cut the yellow squash in half or quarters, and then into slices about 3/4 – 1 inch thick. (I prefer my squash even lighter than this, but sometimes I don’t find them soon enough!) Heat the olive oil and saute the onion for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and saute about another minute. Add the squash pieces and saute over medium-high heat until the squash is cooked through and starting to brown, but still slightly crisp.
Add the cherry tomato halves and cook only about 1 minute, just until they are barely warmed. Season the dish with salt and fresh ground black pepper, add the Parmesan cheese, remove from heat and serve immediately!
I think this is a perfect season-spanning dish to take you into Autumn!
Make it a Meal:
This would be delicious with Grilled Chicken with Lemon, Capers, and Oregano or Grilled Lamb Chops with Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme for a low-carb meal.
More Season-Spanning Recipes for Summer Squash:
The BEST Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Garlic-Parmesan Yellow Squash Chips from Diethood
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup with Rosemary and Parmesan from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Summer Squash Enchiladas from Homesick Texan
Val's Easy and Amazing Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan
This easy recipe for Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan is a tasty way to cook summer squash.
- 2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil (or slightly more, depending on your pan)
- 1/2 yellow or white onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely minced (or to taste)
- 2 medium or 3 small yellow summer squash
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomato halves
- salt and fresh gorund black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving if desired
- Diced onion, minced garlic, and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Cut both ends off squash, then cut lengthwise into halves (or fourths if the squash is larger.)
- Slice the squash into 3/4 – 1 inch slices.
- Have the oil and Parmesan cheese ready.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a large non-stick frying pan and saute the onion pieces 2-3 minutes, until they are starting to soften but aren’t browned.
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Then add the squash pieces and 1 more tsp. oil (if needed) and cook over medium-high heat, turning often, for 6-8 minutes or until the squash is cooked through and starting to brown but is still slightly crisp.
- Stir in the cherry tomato halves and cook 1 minute, just until the tomatoes are warmed.
- Season the dish with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over, and serve immediately.
Recipe created by Kalyn’s sister Val.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Yellow Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan would be approved for all phases of the South Beach Diet, although Parmesan cheese is a limited food so don’t overdo it on the cheese. This is also a great choice for most other types of low-carb eating plans, although you might want to use less tomatoes if you’re strictly limiting carbs.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.