Tortilla Egg Bake
This extra-easy Tortilla Egg Bake is a perfect low-carb breakfast that’s something the whole family is going to love! And this post has four delicious options for this fun dish of eggs baked in a large tortilla!
This new recipe for Tortilla Egg Bake is such a fun idea for an easy low-carb breakfast, and as soon as I tried the egg and cheese combination baked in a tortilla, I started thinking up other options for this tasty idea. Be sure to check out all the variations below! And if you try this and come up with other ingredient combinations, please come back and share them in a comment.
I used large low-carb burrito-sized tortillas where one tortilla makes four servings, and everything else is low in carbs, so this recipe for eggs baked in a tortilla has just over 2 net carbs in a serving. And even for people with heartier appetites who eat half the tortilla or more, this is still going to be an extra low-carb or Keto breakfast.
And this is so delicious and fun to eat that it’s a recipe I bet most kids who like eggs and tortillas will happily devour! And it’s so easy that older kids can make it themselves; when we tested the recipe Kara couldn’t wait to go home and teach her kids how to make it!
I eat my Tortilla Egg Bake most often on a plate with sour sour cream and salsa on top, and when I’m not having salsa I like it with Green Tabasco Sauce. But after it’s baked you can cut this into fourths and let kids eat it with their hands; and it will also work for adults to eat in the car on the way to work! This is a recipe I’m excited to share with you; I hope you’ll try it if you like these ingredients.
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- large size low-carb tortilla; we used 10 inch La Banderita Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link)
- pinch of Spike Seasoning (affiliate link); use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good with eggs if you don’t have Spike
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- grated cheese
- optional diced ham, cooked sausage, or cooked bacon (for making one of the variations shown below)
What baking dishes can you use for the Tortilla Egg Bake?
We tested this recipe in two sizes of Pie Plate (affiliate link). It worked fine in the 8.5 inch crockery pie plate you see in the photos and also in a 9 inch glass pie plate. I don’t have a metal pie plate, but I am guessing that will work, but check it towards the end as the baking time might be slightly different.
What tortillas can you use for the Tortilla Egg Bake?
We used 10 inch La Banderita Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) for this recipe, but you can also use any 10 inch low-carb tortillas. You can also make it with traditional 10 inch flour tortilla if making for kids, or with 10 inch gluten-free tortillas if you need that option, but those will be higher in carbs of course.
What cheese can you use for the Tortilla Egg Bake?
I’ve mostly made this recipe with Mexican Blend Cheese, but any grated cheese that you enjoy with eggs will be great for this recipe. I’m looking forward to trying it with Feta, for a multicultural variation!
How to make this Tortilla Egg Bake:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 350F/176C. Spray pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Here are the 10 inch La Banderita Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) we used, use any type of 10 inch flour tortilla.
- Put tortilla into pie plate, pressing down.
- Beat eggs with Spike Seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Pour eggs into tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- The Tortilla Egg Bake is definitely best freshly made, but I’ve enjoyed leftovers warmed in the microwave.
Easy Variations for the Tortilla Egg Bake:
- The top left photo shows the Tortilla Egg Bake with cheese that’s the recipe in this post. Get creative with different types of cheese!
- The top right photo shows a Tortilla Egg Bake with Sausage. Use about half a cup of pre-cooked pork or turkey sausage, sprinkled over the eggs before the cheese is added. (I cook the whole package of sausage and keep it in a container in the fridge to use another time.)
- The bottom left photos shows a Tortilla Egg Bake with Bacon. I used four slices of Costco pre-cooked bacon that I cut short pieces and crisped in the microwave on a towel-covered paper plate or plate. Sprinkle the bacon on the eggs before you add the cheese.
- The bottom right photos shows a Tortilla Egg Bake with ham. I used about 4 ounces of ham diced into small cubes; sprinkle it on the egg before you add the cheese.
- All of the ingredients used in these variations are low in carbs, so none of them will change the carb count much. Baking time is 20 minutes no matter which variation you make.
Want more fun ideas for tortillas with eggs?
- one 10 inch low-carb tortilla (see notes)
- 4 eggs
- pinch of Spike Seasoning (optional, but good)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (see notes)
- optional diced ham, cooked sausage, or cooked bacon for making one of the variations show in this post
- Preheat oven to 350F/176C. Spray 8.5 inch or 9 inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Put tortilla into the pie plate, pressing down the sides.
- Beat 4 eggs with Spike Seasoning (or other all-purpose seasoning that's good with eggs), salt and pepper.
- Pour beaten eggs into the tortilla.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until eggs are set, cheese is melted, and the sides of the tortilla are just starting to get lightly browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- I love this with sour cream and salsa, but it's good with any condiment you like on eggs.
- The Tortilla Egg Bake is definitely best freshly made, but I've enjoyed the leftovers warmed in the microwave even when they've been in the fridge for a day or two.
We used the 10 inch size of La Banderita Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) which have only 5 net carbs in the whole tortilla.
I've mostly made this with Mexican Blend Cheese, but any grated cheese you like in eggs will be great for this recipe.
Recipe tested by Kalyn and Kara, adapted from many similar recipes seen on TikTok and other places around the web.
Serving Size:1/4 of tortilla
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4.3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4.3gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 447mgCarbohydrates: 6.9gFiber: 4.7gSugar: .3gProtein: 10.8g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This dish for eggs baked in a tortilla is great for low-carb or Keto diets. It will work for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet with approved tortillas and reduced fat cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.