Slow Cooker Taco Meat
Slow Cooker Taco Meat cooks in the slow cooker with spices and hot sauce and makes Low-Carb Spicy Ground Beef for tacos or taco salad!
When I used to teach school I’d take Beef and Black Bean Taco Salad for lunch several times a week, and I’m still a huge taco salad fan even now when I have more lunch options. And I love having little containers of this ground beef taco meat in the freezer so I can make taco salad whenever I start to crave it. So when I first saw this idea for cooking ground beef in the slow cooker without pre-browning the meat, of course I had to try it! Since then I’ve been a complete convert to this method, and if you stop by my house you’ll always find Slow Cooker Taco Meat in the freezer!
I love the ground beef tacos you get at Mexican restaurants, where the meat is highly seasoned and very finely broken apart, so that’s what I was going for when I worked on this recipe. I used a very generous amount of Cholula Original Hot Sauce to season the meat, so if you’re making this for kids (or adults who don’t like much heat) you probably want to use the smaller amount listed in the recipe. I let the meat cook for nearly four hours on high for that broken-apart texture I like so much, mashing with an old-fashioned Potato Masher about once every hour.
There’s a lot to love about this Low-Carb Spicy Ground Beef that browns in the CrockPot, but an added bonus is that you can cook this meat in the slow cooker without heating up the house, so you can enjoy Taco Salad all summer long.
How to Make Slow Cooker Taco Meat:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Some people start with frozen ground beef, but that didn’t appeal to me so I thawed the meat overnight in the fridge.
- Put 3 pounds of lean ground beef in the slow cooker, breaking it apart with your hands. (I used the Ninja Cooker (affiliate link) that Lydia sent me, but you can use any 4-5 quart slow cooker.)
- Mix together
- Cholula hot sauce (affiliate link), ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, and water.
- Pour the spicy mixture over the ground beef. Then use a large spoon to stir the seasoning mixture into the ground beef and start to cook on high.
- After an hour I used my Potato Masher (affiliate link) to start to break the meat apart. At this point I was worried that I shouldn’t have added the water, but it worked out fine.
- At two hours I mashed the mixture with the potato masher again, and the water was being absorbed nicely.
- After three hours the ground beef is getting to be just the texture I wanted.
- It was probably done enough at this point, but I let it cook about 45 minutes more.
- I got quite a few little containers of seasoned ground beef to put in the freezer, and each one was enough to make a large taco salad or several tacos.
- I make this Slow Cooker Taco Meat over and over, every time I run out of taco meat in the freezer!
More Tacos from the Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker:
Pressure Cooker (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Slow Cooker Mexican Food Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The BEST Slow Cooker Beef Tacos ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Greek Pork Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Taco Tuesdays Archives Page ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
I used lean ground beef with 9% fat; I wouldn't use very fatty ground beef since you’re not draining the meat. I used Cholula hot sauce for this recipe, which doesn't have any carbs. Buy the big size bottle at Costco or at a Mexican market. For kids, I would definitely use the smaller amount of hot sauce shown in the recipe. If you like spicier meat, use about 3/4 cup or even more. This recipe created by Kalyn but inspired by quite a few other variations I saw on Pinterest! Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 550mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 44g
I used lean ground beef with 9% fat; I wouldn't use very fatty ground beef since you’re not draining the meat.
I used Cholula hot sauce for this recipe, which doesn't have any carbs. Buy the big size bottle at Costco or at a Mexican market. For kids, I would definitely use the smaller amount of hot sauce shown in the recipe. If you like spicier meat, use about 3/4 cup or even more.
This recipe created by Kalyn but inspired by quite a few other variations I saw on Pinterest!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This low-carb and gluten-free Slow Cooker Taco Meat is perfect for Kalyn’s Perfect Taco Salad, or eat the meat inside lettuce cups or over cauliflower rice or slaw for a meal that’s suitable for low-carb eating plans and The South Beach Diet Phase One. You can also use low-carb tortillas and make tacos if you prefer.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Check out Slow Cooker Recipes for more easy ideas in the slow cooker. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.