Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Video)
Perfectly-seasoned ground turkey, avocado salsa, and softened low-carb tortillas combine to make delicious Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos.
PIN this Ground Turkey Tacos recipe make tacos later!
You’ve probably noticed that I’m a constant cycle of updating old favorite recipes with better photos, and sometimes when I’m updating the photos I can’t help improving the recipe as well. So when I decided to take new photos for these Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos, I realized that I could switch the previously-used black bean salsa for a low-carb salsa and use my favorite low-carb tortillas and this would be a low-carb taco recipe!
And I’m always a fan of avocado salsa on tacos, so that’s how these ground turkey tacos got reinvented! And if anyone is thinking that ground turkey might be a bit boring, I promise you there is nothing remotely boring about the perfectly-seasoned ground turkey in this recipe. In fact, if you try it, this might become one of your favorite recipes for tacos!
But if you’re not a ground turkey fan, make these delicious low-carb green chile tacos with ground beef and they’ll still be delicious. You can certainly add other toppings like cheese, sour cream, lettuce, or salsa if you wish. But please try these tasty tacos the next time you need a quick dinner idea!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning or other taco seasoning of your choice
- lean ground turkey
- granulated garlic or Garlic Powder (affiliate link) (not garlic salt)
- canned diced green chiles (affiliate link)
- canned petite diced tomatoes
- fresh squeezed lime juice, I used my fresh-frozen lime juice
- salt to taste
- Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link)
- Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) for serving (optional but good,)
- red onion
- finely diced fresh cilantro (optional)
What Green Chiles did we use?
The canned diced green chiles (affiliate link) that we use for this recipe are Anaheim chiles, which are only slightly spicy. Don’t make a mistake and buy Jalapenos, unless you really like it spicy. Diced green chiles like this are readily available in almost every grocery store in the U.S.
Make Ground Turkey Tacos for Weekend Food Prep!
This recipe makes quite a bit of taco meat, so I am adding it to a recipe category called Weekend Food Prep. That’s where you’ll find recipes that are suitable for cooking or prepping or cooking on the weekend to cook or reheat during the week! And the habit for making food on the weekend to eat during the week is something I’ve been doing for many years now.
Want to make Ground Turkey Tacos that are even lower in carbs?
With the Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) these turkey tacos are pretty low in net carbs. But if you want to make a version that’s even lower in carbs, just eat the tasty green chile turkey mixture inside lettuce wraps!
Want more tasty recipes for tacos?
You can use Tacos Recipes to find lots more recipes for tacos, taco salad, taco bowls, taco soup, and taco casserole!
How to make Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos with Avocado Salsa:
(Scroll down for complete recipe including nutritional information.)
- Brown the chopped onion in olive oil, then add Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning and cook a minute or two more.
- Add a tiny bit more oil and cook the ground turkey until it’s well browned.
- Then add the granulated garlic, petite dice tomatoes, diced green chiles, lime juice, and a little salt and let the mixture simmer on low for about 30 minutes, adding a little water occasionally if needed. (I think this long simmering time really ramps up the flavor, but you could probably get away with slightly less time if you needed to.)
- While the meat simmers, finely chop the cilantro and red onion.
- Dice the avocado and toss with 2 tablespoons lime juice.
- Then combine diced avocado, red onions, cilantro, one more tablespoon lime juice, and a little olive oil to make the salsa, and when the meat is done you’re ready to eat!
- If you’re only making a couple of tacos you can heat the tortillas in the microwave or a dry frying pan, but for a larger crowd I’d wrap a bunch of them in foil and heat them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Fill hot tortillas with the spicy ground turkey mixture and top with avocado salsa, or other taco toppings of your choice. Dinner is served!
More Recipes with Ground Turkey:
- Stuffed Poblanos with Ground Turkey
- Thai-Inspired Ground Turkey Stir-Fry
- Low-Carb Turkey Enchilada Casserole
- Asian Lettuce Cups with Spicy Ground Turkey
- One-Pan Ground Turkey Curry
Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Perfectly-seasoned ground turkey taco meat, avocado and cilantro salsa, and softened tortillas combine to make delicious Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos with Avocado Salsa.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 T olive oil, divided
- 2 T Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 1/2 lbs. extra lean ground turkey
- 1 T granulated garlic or garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- two 4 oz. cans diced green chiles, not drained
- one 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (or more if you like a lot of lime flavor; see notes.)
- salt to taste
- 8 Mission Carb-Balance low-carb tortillas, see notes
- Green Tabasco Sauce for serving (optional but good, see notes)
- 2 avocados, diced (see notes)
- 1/4 large red onion, diced small
- 1/2 bunch (or more) finely diced fresh cilantro
- 3 T fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 T olive oil
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and saute the chopped onion until it is starting to get nicely browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Then push the onion aside, add another tsp. of olive oil, and add the ground turkey. Cook the turkey until it’s well-browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the granulated garlic, petite dice tomatoes, diced green chiles, lime juice, and a little salt, turn the heat to very low, and let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring a few times and adding a little water if needed. (You can probably get by with a little less time, but the long cooking time combines the ingredients and ramps up the flavor.)
- While the ground turkey mixture is simmering, finely chop the cilantro and red onion.
- Dice the avocado and toss with 2 tablespoons of the lime juice.
- Combine the diced avocado, red onion, cilantro, additional tablespoon lime juice, and olive oil to make the salsa.
- When the meat mixture is nearly done, heat desired number of flour tortillas in the microwave or in a hot dry pan. (For larger groups, wrap tortillas in foil and heat them in a 350F/180C oven for 15-20 minutes.)
- To serve, fold over heated flour tortillas into half-moon shape, open and fill each tortilla about half full with the ground turkey mixture, top with a generous spoonful of avocado salsa, and eat with Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) to add at the table if desired. Other toppings can also be used such as cheese, sour cream, lettuce, or tomato salsa.
- This ground turkey taco mixture freezes well, so you might want to double the amount and freeze some for later. (I would not recommend freezing the salsa.)
For this recipe I used my frozen lime juice, my favorite low-carb tortillas, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), and of course Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning! (Use your favorite purchased taco seasoning blend if you prefer.) You can replace avocado with a 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained well, for the original version of this recipe. Nutritional information is calculated using net carbs from the low-carb tortillas I recommend. This taco recipe was created by Kalyn and Jake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
I used low-carb tortillas, so with the avocado salsa this ground turkey taco recipe would be great for a low-carb diet, and also good for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. If you’re making these tacos for the South Beach Diet, use ground turkey that’s not over 10% fat. You could use this ground turkey mixture and make a delicious taco salad or eat in lettuce wraps for Phase one or Keto diets.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Easy to Cook Recipes or Tacos Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2013. It was last updated with more information in 2022.
26 Comments on “Ground Turkey Green Chile Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Video)”
Pingback: The BEST Turkey Meatballs with Herbed Gravy - Mom On Timeout
Pingback: Keto Taco Night Recipes (Epic Low Carb Taco Tuesday Menu) Word To Your Mother
Pingback: Pipers Farm sensationally easy turkey dinner - Cooksister | Food, Travel, Photography