Slow Cooker Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls
Shredded Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken is served over Cauliflower Rice and topped with Greek Salsa in these delicious Low-Carb Greek Chicken Bowls that are also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, South Beach Diet phase one, and this can even be Paleo or Whole 30 if you omit the cheese and choose approved ingredients! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Have you tried Cauliflower Rice yet? I’ve been having fun experimenting with it as a carb-conscious substitute for rice or other grains, and I’m especially liking it in dishes like these Slow Cooker Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls where the cauliflower rice gets a flavor boost from slow-cooked lemony Greek chicken and a Greek salsa mixture that’s layered over the chicken. This is a perfect crock pot dish to start in the afternoon on a busy day. The chicken cooks in about 3 hours on high and when it’s time for dinner you make the cauliflower rice, chop the Greek salsa ingredients, and assemble the Low-Carb Greek Chicken Bowls.
The low-carb Greek Chicken can also make this a cook-once/eat-twice slow cooker recipe. The chicken can be stored in the fridge for a day or two; then you chop up more Greek salsa ingredients and make more cauliflower rice and you’ve got dinner again. (For a Paleo or Whole 30 version of this dish, just use an approved dressing and omit the Feta cheese in the salsa mixture.)
Trim chicken and cut into strips to go in the slow cooker. Then mix lemon juice and zest, Greek seasoning, olive oil, Greek oregano, and a little pepper to make the sauce for cooking the chicken.
Put the chicken in the slow cooker and pour the cooking sauce over. Cook about 3 hours on high, or until chicken shreds apart easily. Remove chicken from slow cooker (keeping the sauce that’s in the bottom of the slow cooker.) Shred chicken, and put back in the slow cooker, stirring to get it covered with the delicious lemony sauce.
To make the cauliflower rice for the bowls, chop up green pepper and onion, and use a stand grater or food processor to turn the cauliflower into small pieces (resembling grains of rice.) Heat oil in a large frying pan, cook the onion and pepper for a few minutes, season the vegetables, then add the cauliflower rice and cook 3-4 minutes, or until it’s starting to soften.
To make the Greek-style salsa, chop up cucumbers, tomatoes, Greek olives, and red onion. Then stir together with some Feta cheese and your favorite low-sugar Italian dressing.
Assemble the Low-Carb Greek Chicken Bowls by layering the cauliflower rice, lemony Greek chicken, and Greek salsa in a bowl. Enjoy!
More Tasty Dinners You Might Like:
Chicken Recipes Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Fried Cauliflower Rice with Shrimp, Sugar Snap Peas, and Red Pepper ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lemon Pepper Roast Chicken in a Slow Cooker ~ The Little Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Slow Cooker Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice Greek Chicken Bowls
This is a perfect crock pot dish to start in the afternoon on a busy day.
Slow Cooker Ingredients:
- 4 large chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into lengthwise strips
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 T Greek Seasoning(Check ingredients for Gluten-Free)
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Greek oregano
- 1/2 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
Cauliflower Rice Ingredients:
- 1 large head cauliflower, leaves cut off and chopped or grated into “rice” sized pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
Greek Salsa Ingredients:
- 3 medium cucumbers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives (or black olives)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 4 oz. crumbled Feta Cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing of your choice (I like Newman’s Own Original Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing, which has only 2 carbs in 1/4 cup.)
- Trim the chicken and cut each piece lengthwise into 2-3 strips (depending on how large the chicken breasts are.)
- Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the lemons, then whisk the zest and juice together with the Greek seasoning, olive oil, Greek oregano, and black pepper to make the cooking sauce.
- Spray the slow cooker insert with olive oil or non-stick spray, put chicken in the bottom, and pour the cooking sauce mixture over.
- Cook on high for about 3 hours, or until the chicken shreds apart easily with a fork. (If you prefer, cook the chicken about 5 hours on low.)
- When the chicken is done, use a slotted spoon to remove it to a cutting board, leaving the flavorful sauce in the slow cooker.
- Shred chicken apart with two forks, put it back in the slow cooker, and stir gently so the chicken is coated with sauce.
- Keep chicken warm on the low setting while you prep the other ingredients.
- Trim the cauliflower and discard the leaves.
- If you’re using a food processor to chop up the cauliflower into “rice,” first cut the cauliflower (including the stems) into small pieces.
- Then pulse the cauliflower pieces using the steel blade in the food processor until it’s finely chopped. (This recipe has good photos and instructions for doing that.)
- You can also make the “rice” by grating larger pieces of cauliflower with a large standing box grater.
- Finely chop the green pepper and the onion.
- Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add the green pepper and onion, and cook about 3 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and starting to brown.
- Add the Greek seasoning and cook 1 minute more; then add the chopped cauliflower and cook, turning a few times, until the cauliflower is starting to soften and brown, about 3-4 minutes. (I prefer the cauliflower rice with a little crunch to it, but you can cook longer if you want it really soft.)
- Season the cauliflower rice with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, Kalamata olives (or black olives), and red onion.
- Put those chopped ingredients in a bowl, stir in the 1/4 cup Italian dressing, and then gently stir in the crumbled Feta.
- o assemble the bowl, put some of the hot cauliflower rice in the bottom of a serving bowl.
- On top of the rice put a generous scoop of the shredded lemon chicken from the slow cooker, and then top that with a scoop of the Greek salsa mixture.
- You can keep the shredded lemon chicken in the fridge for a day or two and reheat in a pan or in the microwave.
- For the Cauliflower Rice and the Greek salsa mixture, I would make that fresh each time when you’re eating the leftovers.
I used my Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe, but any 3-4 quart slow cooker will work. If you only have a large size crock pot, I would double the chicken part of the recipe and freeze some for later.
This recipe created by Kalyn.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Every ingredient here is a good low-glycemic and low-carb choice (although I’d check the carbs if you’re using purchased salad dressing.) This would be a great meal for all phases of the South Beach Diet, or any other type of low-carb eating plan. For Paleo or Whole 30 diets, just omit the Feta cheese and use an approved salad dressing.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Or Check out the Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.