Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Olive and Caper Sauce
This easy recipe for Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Olive and Caper Sauce is quick enough for a week-night dinner for olive fans! And this delicious low-carb chicken dinner is also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, Dairy-Free, South Beach Diet friendly, Paleo and Whole 30! Use Chicken Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
I always have chicken breasts in the freezer, and I’m happy when I find a quick and easy recipe that uses them that’s also a wow in the flavor department. Because let’s be honest, don’t you think chicken breasts are in serious danger of being boring if you’re not careful how you cook them? I promise you, these Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Olive and Caper Sauce are absolutely loaded with flavor. And this recipe can be on the table in under 30 minutes, which makes it taste even better!
I got the inspiration for this recipe when my friend Simona of Briciole wrote back in 2007 about a type of pâté di olive she used as a topping for bread. That combination fixed itself in my mind as a topping for chicken breasts, and of course when I tried it I loved it; what’s not to like about the combination of Kalamata olives, capers, onion, and thyme with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar? I did add some parsley to the mix as well, and changed the proportions just a bit. I think this delicious olive and caper sauce would also taste great over pork, fish, or grilled vegetables.
(Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Olive and Caper Sauce was first posted in 2007 for an edition of Weekend Herb Blogging hosted by Haalo at Cook (almost) Anything. The post was updated with better photos and step-by-step instructions May 2015.)
Remove chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature while you make the sauce. Chop up the parsley, fresh thyme, Kalamata olives, capers, and red onion, and then combine gently in a bowl. Trim the chicken breasts and cut each one crosswise into two smaller pieces (so they cook more quickly) and then pound chicken until it’s about 3/8 inch thick.
Rub the chicken on both sides with poultry seasoning. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy non-stick pan. (I used my large size Green Pan for cooking the chicken.) Cook chicken 5-6 minutes on the top side or until it’s nicely browned, then turn and cook just a few minutes on the second side, until it’s barely cooked through.
Serve hot with olive caper sauce spooned over.
More Delicious Recipes for Chicken:
Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken Marbella ~ The Perfect Pantry
Sauteed Greek Chicken with Tomato, Olive, and Feta Topping ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Olive and Caper Sauce
This easy recipe for Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Olive and Caper Sauce is quick enough for a week-night dinner.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. olive oil for sauteing chicken
- 2 tsp. poultry season to rub on chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 T chopped red onion or shallots
- 2 T capers, chopped
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme (or use 1 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- Remove chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature while you chop the Kalamata olives, red onion, capers, fresh thyme, and parsley.
- Put the sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir together gently with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. (I’ve also used a food processor to chop the sauce ingredients, but I think it’s easy to get them too finely chopped with the food processor.)
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts.
- Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise and use a meat mallet (or something heavy) to pound the chicken pieces one at a time, until each is about 3/8 inch thick. (If you put chicken inside a heavy plastic bag when you pound, it keeps it from breaking apart so much.)
- Rub chicken on both sides with small amount of poultry seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. (I used my large size Green Pan for cooking the chicken.)
- Put chicken breasts into the pan, top side down and cook 5-6 minutes, or until top is well browned.
- Turn chicken over and cook 2-3 minutes more on second side.
- Chicken is done when it feels firm, but not hard to the touch.
- Serve hot chicken breasts with olive-caper sauce spooned over.
- The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about a week if you manage to have any leftovers.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Olive and Caper Sauce would be a great main dish for low-carb diets or any phase of the South Beach Diet and this recipe is also Gluten-Free, Paleo and Whole 30.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.