Pan-Fried Chicken with Olive and Caper Sauce
Pan-Fried Chicken with Olive and Caper Sauce is quick enough for a week-night dinner and this will be a hit with olive fans! And this delicious low-carb chicken dinner is also Keto, gluten-free, and dairy-free!
I always have chicken breasts in the freezer, and I’m happy when I find a quick and easy recipe that uses them that’s also a wow in the flavor department. Because let’s be honest, don’t you think chicken breasts are in serious danger of being boring if you’re not careful how you cook them? I promise you, this Pan-Fried Chicken with Olive and Caper Sauce is absolutely loaded with flavor. And this recipe can be on the table in under 30 minutes, which makes it taste even better!
I got the inspiration for this recipe when my friend Simona of Briciole wrote about a type of pâté di olive she used as a topping for bread. That combination fixed itself in my mind as a topping for chicken breasts, and of course when I tried it I loved it; what’s not to like about the combination of Kalamata olives, capers, onion, and thyme with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar?
I did add some parsley to the mix as well, and changed the proportions just a bit. I think this delicious olive and caper sauce would also taste great over pork, fish, or grilled vegetables.
How to Make Pan-Fried Chicken with Olive and Caper Sauce:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Remove chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature while you make the sauce.
- Chop up the parsley, fresh thyme, Kalamata olives, capers, and red onion, and then combine gently in a bowl.
- Trim the chicken breasts and cut each one crosswise into two smaller pieces (so they cook more quickly).
- Then pound chicken until it’s about 3/8 inch thick.
- Rub the chicken on both sides with poultry seasoning.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy non-stick pan. (I used my large size Green Pan for cooking the chicken.)
- Cook chicken 5-6 minutes on the top side or until it’s nicely browned.
- Then turn and cook just a few minutes on the second side, until it’s barely cooked through.
- Serve hot with olive caper sauce spooned over.
More Delicious Recipes for Chicken:
Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken Marbella ~ The Perfect Pantry
Sauteed Greek Chicken with Tomato, Olive, and Feta Topping ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. olive oil for frying chicken
- 2 tsp. poultry season to rub on chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 T chopped red onion or shallots
- 2 T capers, chopped
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme (or use 1 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- Remove chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temperature while you chop the Kalamata olives, red onion, capers, fresh thyme, and parsley.
- Put the sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir together gently with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. (I’ve also used a food processor to chop the sauce ingredients, but I think it’s easy to get them too finely chopped with the food processor.)
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts.
- Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise and use a meat mallet (or something heavy) to pound the chicken pieces one at a time, until each is about 3/8 inch thick. (If you put chicken inside a heavy plastic bag when you pound, it keeps it from breaking apart so much.)
- Rub chicken on both sides with small amount of poultry seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. (I used my large size Green Pan for cooking the chicken.)
- Put chicken breasts into the pan, top side down and cook 5-6 minutes, or until top is well browned.
- Turn chicken over and cook 2-3 minutes more on second side.
- Chicken is done when it feels firm, but not hard to the touch.
- Serve hot chicken breasts with olive-caper sauce spooned over.
- The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about a week if you manage to have any leftovers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 44g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Pan-Fried Chicken with Olive and Caper Sauce would be a great main dish for low-carb diets or any phase of the original South Beach Diet and this recipe is also Keto, Gluten-Free, Paleo and Whole 30.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Chicken Recipes to find more recipes like this one.Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
Pan-Fried Chicken with Olive and Caper Sauce was first posted in 2007 Weekend Herb Blogging. The post was updated with better photos and step-by-step instructions May 2015, and last update October 2020.