Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas
Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas are great for a quick breakfast without eggs, and they’re a treat for people who love breakfast sausage! And if you use low-carb tortillas this can easily be a low-carb breakfast.
Right now most people are cooking far more than they really want to, so I’ve been working on the Quick Recipes category on the blog, editing it to make sure the recipes included there will be something you can make in 30 minutes (or less!) And these Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas are a tasty idea that qualifies for that category, so I’ve updated the recipe to remind you about it today. And for all those people who ask for low-carb breakfasts without eggs, this is a great option for that!
This is so delicious for a quick and easy breakfast that you’ll probably want to make over and over if you’re a fan of breakfast sausage. And it’s a plus that you can enjoy these on the coldest winter day but they’d also taste great in the summer. But probably what inspired me to come up with the recipe for these breakfast quesadillas is a long-time love of McDonald’s Sausage Biscuits! For years, any time I went on a road trip or had to leave the house early, I’d swing through McDonald’s drive-in window and get a Sausage Biscuit (no egg.) Of course when I started following a more carb-conscious eating plan I had to stop getting those sausage biscuits, although I might still get one once or twice a year!
I still have my love for those flavors, and I think Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas have a lot of the same flavor notes as those Sausage Biscuits did. I used turkey breakfast sausage because that’s what I had, but pork sausage would be perfect as well. Kara and I thought these were delightful for a quick breakfast (and my sister Pam who doesn’t like eggs loved them as well); give them a try and see what you think! And if you’re looking for more quick breakfast ideas check out Grab-and-Go Breakfasts.
What Low-Carb Tortillas Did I Use?
For a long time now I’ve been infatuated with Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (affiliate link). The low-carb tortillas from this company come in a variety of sizes and they have white and whole wheat varieties, and the tortillas have a range of 2 – 5 net carbs, depending on which variety you use. (They recently update their formulas, so all the varieties are even lower in carbs than they used to be.) But a friend recently introduced me to Ole Extreme Wellness High Fiber Tortilla Wraps (affiliate link) which are a slightly bigger size with only four net carbs, and I think the Ole Tortilla Wraps would also be great for this recipe. (And neither of these companies have paid me to talk about their products, just in case you were wondering.)
How to Make Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Quesadillas:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy frying pan and cook the sausage over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned on both sides. (Turkey sausage will need the oil; pork sausage won’t need much added oil.)
- Cut each sausage patty in half.
- These are the Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (affiliate link) I used, you see the they have 4 net carbs per tortilla.
- Heat a little more olive oil or butter in the pan, add one tortilla, and cover the tortilla with grated cheese (about 1/3 cup). (If you’re paying close attention you’ll see that we started with a non-stick pan but switched to a cast-iron frying pan (affiliate link) after we’d made a few tortillas. The cast iron was better, but watch that it does’t get too hot!
- Lay four cut sausage pieces across half the tortilla, then fold the other half over.
- Cook about 1-2 minutes per side (depending on your pan), until the cheese is nicely melted and both sides are slightly brown.
- Serve quesadillas hot, with some salsa and sour cream to add or dip into at the table if desired.
More Tasty Ideas with Tortillas:
Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Egg ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Breakfast Quesadillas with Smashed Avocado, Egg, and Spinach ~ The Perfect Pantry
Egg Burritos to Die For ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Copycat Applebees Tortillas ~ CopyKat Recipes
- 8 breakfast sausage patties, (see notes)
- 1 T olive oil, (see notes)
- 4 Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (see notes)
- 1 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese blend, more or less to taste (see notes)
- sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, or guacamole for serving, optional
- Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a large heavy frying pan. (Use a cast-iron frying pan (affiliate link) if you have one.)
- Add the sausage patties and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is hot and well-browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove sausage to a cutting board and cut in half.
- Add a tiny bit more olive oil (or butter) to the frying pan, turn heat to medium, and lay a tortilla in the pan.
- Sprinkle the tortilla with enough cheese to lightly cover the surface (about 1/3 cup).
- Lay four sausage pieces on one side of the tortilla, and fold the other side of the tortilla over to make a half-moon shaped quesadilla. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Turn quesadilla over and cook until it’s slightly browned on the other side, turning again if needed to brown the first side more.
- Cooking time will depend on your pan, but probably not more than about 2 minutes per side for most pans. (If you use cast iron, it will get hotter and hotter as you cook, so may need to turn the heat down for the last couple of quesadillas.)
- Serve hot with things like sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, or guacamole to add at the table if desired.
You can use turkey or pork breakfast sausage, you need about 10 ounces turkey or pork sausage patties. I used olive oil, but use butter for cooking the quesadillas if you prefer. I used Kirkland 4-Cheese Mexican Blend for this recipe. I love Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) and often use them for recipes that call for tortillas, but I recently discovered Ole Extreme Wellness High Fiber Tortilla Wraps (affiliate link) which would also be great for this.
Nutritional information is based on net carbs for the tortillas and doesn't include optional sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, or guacamole.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Kara and inspired by Sausage Biscuits at McDonalds I used to eat before I started thinking about carbs!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 847mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you’re making these quesadillas for the original South Beach Diet, it would be recommended to use turkey breakfast sausage and a low-fat cheese blend. For other low-carb diets, full-fat sausage and cheese would be preferred. TheMission Carb Balance Low-Carb TortillasI used have only 4 net carbs per tortilla, and since all the other ingredients have little or no carbs, this is a pretty low-carb treat for breakfast.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.