Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs (Video)
Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs were quick and easy for a delicious low-carb breakfast idea and if you skip the low-carb tortillas, this can even be Keto. Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make
Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs!
The idea of eggs cooked in some kind of spicy sauce is what has inspired famous dishes like Shakshuka and Huevos Rancheros. I could have been thinking something like that when this simple breakfast idea for Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs popped into my mind, but truthfully I think the recipe was most inspired by a jar of salsa verde that I stumbled across in the pantry. This was one of those “What can I make with ingredients I already have?” kind of experiments, and wow, did I love this easy breakfast.
I ate my Salsa Verde Eggs with some of my favorite low-carb tortillas to dip into the egg yolk, and savored every bite. These eggs were quick and easy for a delicious low-carb breakfast idea that’s perfect for a morning when you need breakfast and don’t have much time. And this is also one of my easy Five Ingredients recipes, or only four ingredients if you skip the low-carb flour tortillas!
If you’re a regular reader you’ve probably noticed that I’m updating lots of my favorite recipes in the ongoing effort to correct all the formatting errors that showed up when I switched Kalyn’s Kitchen to WordPress! No regrets about making the switch, but oh my, so many formatting errors. I am slowly correcting them and switching to the improved recipe format that has a printer-friendly button right in the recipe. And it gives me a chance to show off the recipes I’ve really loved once they are all spiffy with the new format; hope you enjoy trying this one!
How to Make Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs:
(This is just a summary; scroll down for the complete recipe.)
- There are two reasons for putting the eggs into little dishes before you start heating the sauce. Not only does it help them come to room temperature (so the whites cook quickly and keep the yolks runny) but it also helps you get them into the frying pan without breaking the yolks.
- I made a single serving in an 8 inch frying pan; just double the recipe to make Salsa Verde Eggs for Two in a larger pan.
- Start by putting 1/2 cup of your favorite Salsa Verde into a frying pan that you’ve sprayed with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Cook the salsa verde over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until it’s bubbling. (Getting the sauce piping hot like this is important so the egg whites cook quickly and leave the yolks soft.
- Then gently nestle the eggs on top of the spicy sauce. The white should almost immediately start to cook if your salsa verde is nice and hot.
- Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of grated cheese over the eggs, cover, and cook on medium-low for about 3-4 minutes, or until the whites are firm and yolks are still soft. (Or cook them to your liking if you’re not into soft yolks.)
- Season eggs with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.
Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs are delicious with low-carb tortillas to dip into the yolk if desired.
More Spicy Breakfasts with Eggs and Chiles
Baked Eggs Skillet with Avocado and Spicy Tomatoes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Sausage Casserole with Green Chiles ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Low-Carb Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Bacon, Green Chile, and Mushroom Omelet ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Bobbi’s Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Eggs, Cheese, and Green Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cheesy Mexican Frittata ~ Boulder Locavore
Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs
These Fifteen Minute Salsa Verde Eggs were quick and easy for a delicious low-carb breakfast idea.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup salsa verde (green chile salsa)
- 2 T grated cheese (I used Kirkland Four Cheese Mexican Blend from Costco.)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- flour tortillas for serving (Tortillas are optional; I ate mine withlow-carb tortillas.)
- Break each egg into a small bowl and let the eggs come to room temperature while you warm the salsa. (This may seem like a fussy step, but it really will give you a better result.)
- Spray an 8″ frying pan with olive oil or non-stick spray. Add 1/2 cup of salsa verde and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the salsa is piping hot and starting to bubble.
- Gently nestle the eggs into the salsa, sprinkle with cheese, reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan with a lid, and cook 3-4 minutes, or until the whites are firm and the yolks are still soft. (Or cook to your liking if you don’t like soft eggs.)
- While the eggs are cooking, heat or microwave the tortillas if you’re using them.
- When eggs are done, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot, with tortillas if desired.
This recipe created by Kalyn when she had a jar of salsa verde that needed to be used.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The eggs alone would be a very low-carb meal and would be approved for any phase of the South Beach Diet or other low-carb eating plans. If you eat your eggs with whole wheat or low-carb tortillas like I did, this dish would be phase 2 or 3 for South Beach. (If you omit the cheese and choose salsa without sugar, this recipe can be Paleo.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
I chose the South Beach Diet to manage my weight partly so I wouldn’t have to count calories, carbs, points, or fat grams, but if you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.