Roasted Eggplant with Mediterranean Salsa
Give eggplant a chance because this Roasted Eggplant with Mediterranean Salsa is easy and delicious! And this roasted eggplant is low-carb and gluten-free. Use Eggplant Recipes to find more ideas like this one.
By the time you read this I will have arrived in Istanbul, and maybe even eaten some of the amazing Turkish Eggplant dishes that make up part of the food experience of Turkey. So I thought it would be fun to share an eggplant recipe here as well!
I know eggplant can be a hard sell with some people, but back in the early days of this blog I fell in love with grilled eggplant, and I’ve been an eggplant fan ever since. Lately I have been loving roasted eggplant, and this Meatless Monday recipe for Roasted Eggplant Slices with Mediterranean Salsa couldn’t be easier or more delicious. Just choose a firm eggplant that’s fairly straight on the sides, cut into thick slices, brush with olive oil and season, and roast in the oven while you make the delicious Mediterranean salsa.
(You can find plenty more Vegetarian Recipes and Vegan Recipes in the recipes-by-photo index pages. And if you’re a Meatless Monday fan who’s on Pinterest you might want to follow my Meatless Monday Pinterest Board, which has thousands of meatless main dish and side dish recipes from blogging friends from all around the web.)
Choose a large eggplant with fairly straight sides to get same-sized slices. Cut eggplant into slices about 1 inch thick, brush with olive oil, and season with a little salt and fresh-ground black pepper. Roast the eggplant at 400F for about 20 minutes, or until it’s as soft as you like it.
While the eggplant roasts chop up the Kalamata olives, roasted red pepper, and red onion, and measure the capers. Combine the salsa ingredients with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with Aleppo Pepper (or other hot pepper flakes), salt, and pepper to taste.
Serve the eggplant hot or room temperature, with a generous amount of Mediterranean Salsa spooned over each piece.
More Amazing Meatless Eggplant to Enjoy:
Julie Child’s Eggplant Pizzas ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Eggplant Parmesan Sliders ~ Just a Taste
Grilled Eggplant, Grape Tomato, and Feta Salad with Basil, Parsley, and Caper Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Eggplant, Chard, and Tomato Quinoa Gratin ~ Cafe Johnsonia
Grilled Eggplant with Garlic-Cumin Vinaigrette, Feta, and Herbs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Eggplant with Mediterranean Salsa
Roasted Eggplant with Mediterranean Salsa is easy and delicious.
- 2 straight-sided eggplants, about 8-10 inches long
- 2 T + 2 T olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 T capers
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Aleppo Pepper (or other spicy hot pepper flakes)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Wash eggplant if needed and trim off both ends; then cut the eggplant into slices 1 inch thick.
- Lay eggplant slices out on a baking sheet, brush both sides with olive oil, and season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste. (The olives are salty, so you don’t need much salt on the eggplant.)
- Roast eggplant about 10 minutes, then turn them over and roast about 10 minutes more (or until the eggplant is as soft as you prefer.)
- While the eggplant cooks drain the jar of red peppers in a colander placed in the sink; then pat peppers dry with paper towels.
- Chop the Kalamata olives and roasted red peppers into pieces not more than 1/2 inch across and finely chop the red onion.
- Toss together the olives, peppers, onion, and capers; then stir in the 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season with Aleppo Pepper (affiliate link), fresh-ground black pepper (and salt if desired, although the olives have quite a bit of salt.)
- Arrange several slices of eggplant on each plant and top with a generous amount of the Mediterranean Salsa.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Eggplant is a great Low-Carb vegetable, and this recipe would be suitable for any phase of the South Beach Diet or most other kinds of low-carb eating plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutritional analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.