Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese
Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese uses ingredients you might have on hand for a tasty low-carb or Keto breakfast! And if you’re a fan of breakfast-for-dinner recipes, this is perfect for that!
This recipe for Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese is something I’ve made many times when I’ve had houseguests, and it uses ingredients that many people might have on hand. And of course I love breakfasts you can cook once and eat for a few days, and easy low-carb breakfast casserole casseroles like this are something I make all year!
There’s also a fun story about how I originally got this recipe. In the very early days of the blog when I was a teacher, I visited my step-sister Bobbi one summer in Guerneville, California. Bobbi made this carb-conscious breakfast one day, and when it turned out to be so tasty and used ingredients I always have in the house, I shared it on the blog. And that same trip Bobbi’s sister Karyn made a tasty breakfast casserole for me that also ended up on the blog too!
And not only do I love the flavors here, but I love the way the cottage cheese adds extra protein and the green chiles add just a touch of spicy flavor. I hope you’ll try it some time when you have houseguests and want a tasty breakfast idea!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- cottage cheese, rinsed and drained well
- grated cheddar cheese
- diced green chiles (affiliate link)
- green onions
- can of pitted black olives
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or other all-purpose seasoning blend
- salt/pepper to taste
What chiles did we use for Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Green Chiles?
The cans of diced chiles that are labeled “diced green chiles” in American grocery stores are Anaheim Chiles, not Jalapenos. Anaheim chiles are quite mild, so if you do use Jalapenos, be advised that the dish will be a lot more spicy!
What kind of grated cheese is good for this recipe?
You can use any kind of grated cheddar cheese for this Egg Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese, but if you have grated Mexican Blend cheese that will be perfect with the flavors here.
Want more tasty Egg Casseroles?
Check out 25 Family-Friendly Keto Breakfast Casseroles for more tasty egg casserole recipes. Or you can use Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole Master Recipe to make a breakfast casserole out of what’s in the fridge!
How to Make Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Preheat oven and spray a 9″ x 13″ glass or crockery casserole dish with nonstick spray or olive oil.
- Put the cottage cheese into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until only the curds are left. Let cottage cheese drain while you open the olives and green chiles, and slice green onions.
- Layer the cottage cheese, grated cheese, green chiles, sliced olives, and green onions into the casserole dish.
- Beat eggs until they’re well-combined.
- Pour the beaten egg over the other ingredients; then use a fork to gently “stir” so ingredients are evenly distributed in the eggs.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until the eggs are completely set and the casserole is starting to brown slightly on top. (I would start checking after 30 minutes.)
- Serve hot with things like sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) to add at the table if desired.
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
- Broccoli and Three Cheese Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins
- Baked Eggs with Avocado and Feta
- Greek Frittata
- Crustless Breakfast Tarts with Mushrooms
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese, rinsed and drained well
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (see notes)
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, plus a little more for garnish if desired
- 1 6 oz. can pitted black olives, drained and sliced (see notes)
- 2 tsp. Spike seasoning (see notes)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Put cottage cheese in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse well with cold water, then let drain.
- Slice the green onions and drain and slice the olives (or use presliced olives). Open can of green chiles, no need to drain unless you prefer.
- Spray 9″ x 13″ glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Layer the drained cottage cheese, grated cheese, green onion, green chiles with juice, and sliced olives in the casserole dish.
- Beat eggs until they're well combined and pour over the ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Stir gently with fork to be sure cheese/vegetable mixture is evenly distributed in eggs; then season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until eggs are completely set and top is slightly browned.
- Serve hot with toppings like guacamole, sour cream, salsa or Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) to add at the table if desired.
Before you make this you may want to read Basic Instructions and Recipes for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles which has instructions for different sizes of pans and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole. Use full-fat or low-fat cottage cheese and cheese, whichever you prefer. You can use pre-sliced olives if you can find them! If you don't have Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) use any all-purpose seasoning that’s good on eggs. Recipe from my step-sister Bobbi.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 316mgSodium: 1099mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Made with low-fat cottage cheese, and low-fat cheese, Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese is a great breakfast option for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. With full-fat cottage cheese and cheese it’s great for low-carb or Keto diet plans. Either way you make it, this will be delicious for a carb-conscious breakfast.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
Bobbi’s Egg Casserole with Green Chiles and Cheese was first posted in 2009. The recipe was last updated in 2023. My step-sister Bobbi passed away in 2023, and this recipe is dedicated to her memory. She was a fun-loving person who made people happy everywhere she went, and she is greatly missed.