Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins
These Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins are a great low-carb make-ahead breakfast, and I usually have ingredients for these in the house.
These Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins use ingredients I almost always have in the house so of course I make them over and over! There have been a lot of different Grab-and-Go Egg Muffins on the menu since I first made a recipe like this clear back in 2006, but these are definitely one of my personal faves.
Partly it’s because I just love green chiles and cheese, but another reason these are such a repeater at my house is that even when my fridge or veggie crisper is a bit bare, I nearly always have the canned green chiles (affiliate link), grated cheese, and eggs to make these. (And we’ve been talking about Five Ingredients or Less Recipes lately, and this is another favorite that fits in that category.)
And these days I like them spicy! I used to use only half a 4 oz. can of diced green chiles in this recipe, and now I make them spicier with a full can, and these days I buy whole green chiles in a can and cut them up myself. The photo for this favorite egg muffin variation were looking a bit shabby, so recently when I made them I took some new photos; hope you enjoy trying this favorite breakfast of mine!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- diced green chiles (affiliate link) or whole green chiles
- Mexican Blend Cheese
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link)(Or use any all-purpose seasoning blend.)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- green onion (optional)
What are Egg Muffins?
I’ve been making this type of muffin where eggs are the main ingredient for many years, and I feel fairly confident in saying my site is the first recipe site that called them “Egg Muffins” (back in 2006!) These “muffins” are like little mini crustless quiches baked in a muffin cup, and they’re delicious and easy to make, and perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast.
Want more Grab-and-Go Breakfast ideas?
You can use Keto Egg Muffins (Master Recipe) to see how to make this kind of breakfast muffin out of what’s in the fridge. Also, check out Low-Carb and Keto Grab-and-Go Breakfasts for more tasty low-carb breakfast ideas.
The other thing that’s changed is that I’ve switched to a bigger size for the silicone muffin cups (affiliate link) I always use for egg muffins like this. The original recipe used the small size baking cups you see in the front and now I prefer the middle size in the photo above. (links are affiliate links) I’m adjusting the recipe for that size cup, but if you have the small size, just use the printer friendly link for that size. (If you want to use bigger cups than I did, just fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and cook them slightly longer.)
How to make Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Preheat oven and spray the silicone muffin cups (affiliate link) with non-stick spray.
- Drain the diced green chiles (affiliate link) (and cut up if you’re using the whole chiles like I did.)
- Then put a generous pinch of low-fat cheese blend and a little green onion (optional) in each muffin cup.
- I beat the eggs in a large glass 4-cup measuring cup, which makes it easy to fill the silicone cups. Add Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and pepper to the eggs.
- After I pour in the eggs, I like to use a fork and stir to get all the ingredients mixed.
- Bake for about 35 minutes for the larger size muffins, or until they’re cooked through and the top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
- Egg muffins will stay good in the fridge for at least a week and can be easily reheated in a microwave or toaster oven.
More Muffins for Breakfast:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 15 eggs
- 2 cans (4 oz. size) diced or whole green chiles, drained
- 3 cups Mexican Blend Cheese
- 2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup sliced green onion (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Spray silicone baking cups with nonstick spray.
- Drain green chiles (affiliate link) and cut them up if you’re using whole chiles.
- In each muffin cup put grated cheese, some diced green chile, and some sliced green onion if using.
- Beat eggs until egg whites and yolks are well combined. Add Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) and mix into eggs.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese so each muffin cup is full. (This usually takes two pourings as the egg mixture settles over the cheese.)
- I like to take a fork and gently “stir” in each muffin cup to get the cheese evenly distributed in the egg.
- Bake 375 for about 35 minutes, or until all muffins are puffed up and the top is starting to brown. (I usually start checking them and rotate the pan after 25 minutes.)
- Egg muffins will keep in the fridge for at least a week.
- To reheat, put on small plate and microwave for 1-2 minutes. (Don’t microwave too long or they get rubbery!)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 259mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Egg muffins like this are a great breakfast for low-carb eating plans, and they’re also perfect for the original South Beach Diet. You can see other ideas for Egg Muffins, including some vegetarian ones in my post about Keto Egg Muffins (Master Recipe).
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.