Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal
Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal is an easy and delicious dinner that’s low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
A few years ago I got infatuated with a pre-cooked turkey Italian Sausage that I found at Costco and made a few recipes with it. Then Costco stopped carrying it (don’t you HATE IT when that happens) and I never found it again at another store. I am purposely not naming it, because you probably can’t find it either!
So recently I decided to re-do the recipe that used to be in this post and use the Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausage I’m so fond of, and make it into a sheet pan meal. And since I was switching it up anyway, I got adventurous and switched the red and yellow bell pepper from the original recipe for Sweet Mini Peppers, another one of my Costco faves. (And the original recipe had red onion roasted with the sausage and peppers, which I skipped this time, but you can add that if you’d like. This would also be delicious with pork Italian sausage if you prefer that.)
So here’s the new and improved version of the recipe which I’m now calling Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal. I am happy to no longer have a recipe here that no one can find the main ingredient for, and this Italian sausage and sheet pan meal was a total yum! I especially loved the roasted sweet mini-peppers, which was something I hadn’t tried before.
Trust me when I say you will never miss the old recipe one bit! And if you like Italian sausage and peppers, this is about as easy as it gets for a quick low-carb and low-glycemic dinner. I think this would also be delicious with pork Italian sausage too, if you prefer that.
I’ve been pretty enamored with Sheet Pan Meals this winter, but sheet pan meal weather is slowly changing into throw-something-on-the-grill weather, so don’t wait too long to make this or it might be too hot to use the oven!
I used spicy hot Italian turkey sausage, but sweet sausage will also be good. You need to precook the sausage enough to slice then. I poked with a fork and then microwaved for 3 minutes. Let sausage cool enough to handle, cut each one diagonally into four pieces, and arrange on a sheet pan that you brushed with a little olive oil. Roast 20 minutes in a preheated 400F/200C oven.
I’d already used some of this package of Sweet Mini Peppers in a new recipe that’s coming next week, but the one pound I had left was plenty; use more if you’d like. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; then use a sharp spoon to scrape out the seeds and membranes. Put peppers in a bowl and toss with 1 T olive oil and 1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar.
When sausage has roasted 20 minutes, remove the sheet pan and turn sausage over; then arrange the peppers among the sausage pieces. Put back in the oven and roast about 15 minutes, or slightly longer, depending on how much crunch you like in the peppers.
Season the Italian sausage and peppers sheet pan meal to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot. This is delicious with a little more oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled over each serving (the fabulous oil and vinegar dispenser you can barely see in the back was a gift from my friend Mary) and sprinkled with some grated Parmesan.
More Ideas with Turkey Italian Sausage:
Low-Carb Sausage and Kale Mock Lasagna Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Turkey Sausage, Spinach, Mushroom Egg Bake ~ Sugar Free Mom
Roasted winter Squash with Turkey Italian Sausage and Herbs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles ~ Two Peas and Their Pod
Zucchini Noodles with Spicy Cherry Tomato, Sausage, Garlic, and Herb Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
6 Cheese Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms ~ Barbara Bakes
Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal
Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini Peppers Sheet Pan Meal is an easy and delicious dinner.
- 5 links (19.5 oz) uncooked Jenni-O turkey Italian sausage or other uncooked turkey or pork Italian Sausage of your choice
- 1 lb. sweet mini peppers (1 sweet red onion peeled and sliced into thick slivers, optional)
- 1 T olive oil (plus more for brushing sheet pan)
- 1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- additional olive oil and balsamic for drizzling over finished dish (optional, but good)
- grated Parmesan for serving (optional, but good)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Brush a sheet pan with olive oil.
- Use a fork to prick holes in the Italian sausagee on all sides; then put sausage into the microwave and cook 3 minutes, or just until they’re firm enough to slice. (You can also cook a few minutes in a pan.)
- Let sausage cool enough to handle, then cut each one on the diagonal into four pieces. Put sausage on the sheet pan, put into oven, and roast 20 minutes.
- While sausage cooks, cut sweet mini peppers into half lengthwise. Use a sharp spoon to scrape away the seeds and membranes from the insides of each pepper half. (If you want to use onion, peel the red onion, cut off both ends, and cut onion lengthwise into thick slivers.)
- Put peppers (and onion if using) into a bowl and toss with 1 T olive oil and 1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar.
- After 20 minutes remove sheet pan from the oven and turn over each sausage piece. Arrange the peppers among the sausage pieces.
- Put sheet pan back into the oven and roast 15 minutes more (or slightly longer depending on how well done you like the peppers. (If you’re using onions they might take longer to cook than the mini-peppers. I might add then to the sheet pan after the sausage has cooked for 15 minutes.)
- Serve hot, drizzled with a little more olive oil and balsamic and sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.
Recipe created by Kalyn when she had turkey Italian Sausage in the fridge and some of those amazing sweet mini peppers from Costco and wanted to re-do this recipe that used a sausage that was no longer available!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Roasted Italian Sausage and Sweet Mini-Peppers Sheet Pan Meal is made entirely with low-carb and low-glycemic ingredients, and as long as you use low-fat turkey Italian sausage, this would be approved for any phase of the South Beach Diet. It’s also suitable for low-carb diet plans, even Keto, and other low-carb plans might prefer pork sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe in Yummly and see the nutritional information there. Or if you don’t want to join Yummly, I recommend entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.