Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze (Video)
I love this Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze, and this amazing asparagus is low-carb, Keto, gluten-free (with gluten-free soy sauce), vegan, South Beach Diet friendly, and if you sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce it can even be Paleo or Whole 30 approved! Use Asparagus Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze!
First, a huge thank you to everyone for the kind comments some of you have left on my post about Kalyn’s Kitchen turning 12 years old! The positive feedback from readers really is one of the things that makes blogging so rewarding. Now, can we have one more idea for cooking asparagus, since I seem to be unable to pass it up when I see it in the market these days! Waaaaay back in 2007 I made Roasted Radishes with Soy Sauce and Toasted Sesame Seed, which ended up inspiring this Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze. And then for 10 years the recipe hung around in the archives with a photo that was so gruesome I actually deleted it when I took these new ones.
For the updated version I kept the asparagus spears whole and just used a pastry brush to glaze them with the soy-sesame mixture for the last bit of the cooking time. Then just sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on and you have the most amazing roasted asparagus dish you could ever want!
And this recipe is pretty much perfect for any type of diet, even Paleo or Whole 30 if you use Coconut Aminos instead of the soy sauce. And asparagus is low in calories too! I’m adding this to my collection of favorite Asparagus Recipes, and I do hope you will try it! And for those people who just can’t get excited about asparagus, you might like Quick Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds which has similar flavors!
Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Trim off the tough ends of the asparagus and arrange asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet. Brush asparagus with 1 T peanut oil (or other oil of your choice) and roast for about 15 minutes, or until asparagus is barely starting to get tender and slightly browned. While asparagus roasts, mix the rest of the oil, soy sauce (Coconut Aminos), and sesame oil.
After 15 minutes, remove sheet pan from the oven and brush asparagus with the soy sesame glaze mixture. Put it back into the oven for 5-7 minutes more (more or less, depending on how thick the asparagus spears are. Toast the sesame seeds over high heat in a dry pan for just a little over one minute. Remove asparagus from the oven, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve hot.
Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze would be great with Garlic, Lemon, and Herb Grilled Chicken Breasts and Wake Up Your Mouth Thai Cucumber Salad for a delicious low-carb meal. Or serve it with something like Baked White Fish with Pine Nut, Parmesan, and Basil Pesto Crust that can cook in the oven at the same temperature.
More Healthy Recipes for Asparagus:
Sauteed Asparagus with Melted Gorgonzola and Pine Nuts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Lemon Parmesan Asparagus ~ Spend with Pennies
Roasted Lemon Salmon and Asparagus Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lemon Asparagus with Pistachios ~ The Food Charlatan
Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
30 Amazing Asparagus Recipes ~ A Family Feast
Twenty Favorite Low-Carb Asparagus Recipes, plus More from My Friends ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze
This Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze is absolutely delicious and it’s a healthy option for so many diets as well!
- 1 lb. asparagus, thick spears preferred for roasting
- 1 T + 1 tsp. peanut oil (Or use another neutral-flavored oil of your choice. Coconut oil would be delicious for this recipe.)
- 1 T soy sauce (Low sodium soy sauce is fine here; see notes about gluten-free or Paleo.)
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil (or slightly more if you like a strong sesame flavor)
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Break one piece of asparagus to see where the woody part of the stalk starts, then cut all asparagus off at that length.
- Put asparagus on a baking sheet and brush with the 1 T of oil, turning so asparagus is coated on both sides. (Don’t worry if you don’t use all the oil; just mix it into the glaze.)
- Roast about 15 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice to turn asparagus over if you’d like.
- While asparagus is roasting, whisk together the 1 tsp. oil, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- When asparagus is starting to get tender and barely starting to brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven and brush with the soy-sesame glaze. Then put the baking sheet back into the oven and roast 5-7 minutes more. Thinner spears will need less time and thicker ones will need more.
- While asparagus roasts for the final few minutes, put the sesame seeds in a dry pan and toast over hot stove for just over one minute, or until barely starting to brown.
- Remove asparagus from oven and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Asparagus with Soy-Sesame Glaze is a good side dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. It’s also vegan, and if you use an approved oil and switch the soy sauce for Coconut Aminos it can be Paleo or Whole 30 approved.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.