Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake (Video)
This Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake has spinach, mozzarella, and green onion and just enough egg to hold it together! This tasty breakfast is low-carb, Keto, gluten-free, low-glycemic, and South Beach Diet friendly; use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake!
If you check out my recipe category for Eggs, you see that I’ve come up with a lot of variations for low-carb breakfast casseroles through the years. I make breakfast casseroles on the weekend for Weekend Food Prep, cut into individual servings, and keep in a container in the fridge to eat for breakfast during the week. Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles are definitely good any time of year, but when the weather gets cold you’re more likely to turn on your oven to make a breakfast like this, so I’m reminding you about this mega-popular Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake. This recipe is so simple that I’m not sure why it’s so popular, but it’s always one of the top ten recipes on this site if you check that list in the sidebar!
I did include this recipe in the recent collection of Low-Carb and Keto Breakfast Casseroles Your Family Will Love, but technically this is a variation I’m calling an egg bake. That means this Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake has lots of spinach and cheese, and just enough egg to barely hold it together. I love the idea of starting out the day with a big serving of spinach, and this Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake is so delicious you won’t even remember that you’re eating something that’s good for you!
I use a whole 5 oz. package of organic spinach in this, which is about 4 cups of baby spinach. Cook the spinach just until it’s barely wilted. Then spread it out in a layer in the bottom of the 8 1/2 X 12 casserole dish. Spread a generous layer of cheese over the spinach. No matter what else I’m using, I always add green onions!
Pour the beaten eggs over the spinach and cheese. Then use a fork to “stir” the mixture so the spinach, egg, and cheese is well combined. Bake about 35 minutes, or until the mixture is set and lightly browned.
Serve hot, or cut into portions to keep in the fridge and microwave for a minute or two for a quick healthful breakfast!
More Recipes for Baked Eggs:
Baked Eggs with Asparagus and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Portugese Style Baked Eggs ~ Foodie with Family
Sausage, Mushrooms, and Feta Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Eggs in Stuffed Peppers ~ FoodieCrush
Broccoli, Mushrooms, Ham, and Cheddar Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Portobello Baked Eggs with Spinach and Smoked Gouda ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Baked Eggs and Mushrooms with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake
- 5 oz. organic fresh spinach (4 cups packed)
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella (I used a mozzarella blend from Costco; use regular or part-skim Mozzarella, your choice)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use any all purpose seasoning mix that’s good with eggs)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray an 8 1/2 inch by 12 inch glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add spinach all at once, and stir just until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer spinach to the casserole dish, spreading it around so all the bottom of the dish is covered. Layer the grated cheese and sliced onions on top of the spinach.
- Beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (or other seasoning mix) and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. (I use only a tiny pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.) Pour the egg mixture over the spinach/cheese combination, and then use a fork to gently “stir” so the eggs, spinach, and cheese are evenly combined.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until the mixture is completely set and starting to lightly brown. Let cool about 5 minutes before cutting. (The egg bake will settle down some as it cools.) Serve hot. This is good with sour cream. I also like a little Green Tabasco Sauce sprinkled on the top.
- This can be cut into individual servings to keep in the fridge and microwaved for a quick breakfast during the week. Don’t microwave longer than 1-2 minutes or the eggs can get slightly rubbery.
Recipe created by Kalyn.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake uses a generous amount of cheese, so it’s important to use low-fat mozzarella if you’re making it for the South Beach Diet. With that caution, everything here is a low-glycemic ingredient and this recipe would be suitable for all phases of South Beach. This is also a great recipe for any other type of Low-Carb eating plan, and low-carb or keto diet plans would prefer full-fat cheese and wouldn’t even mind a bit more cheese!
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.