Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas
Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas are one of my favorite thing to make with low-carb tortillas, or use regular tortillas if you don’t care about the carbs! Either way, this is easy and delicious. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more meatless recipes like this one.
Cinco de Mayo is coming right up, and I’ve shared my Ten Low-Carb Mexican Food Favorites, so I hope you’re narrowing down your menu. And while I was in the Mexican food mood, I decided to update the photos for these Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas, something that’s perfect for a quick lunch or dinner option.
I first tried guacamole and guacamole tostadas at a tiny little Mexican restaurant in downtown Salt Lake City. The restaurant is now long gone, but my fondness for the guacamole tostadas I first had at Tampico’s remains to this day. My version of this traditional Mexican specialty switches the usual corn tortillas for toasted low-carb flour tortillas, and these Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas are one of my favorite things to make with Cilantro Lover’s Perfect Guacamole. But when you don’t want to fuss that much, just make them with the Easy Guacamole mixture this recipe calls for. They will be delicious either way!
And if you like the idea of tostadas using a toasted low-carb tortilla as the base, you might also enjoy my Seven Layer Tostadas, an idea that was inspired by Seven Layer Dip that makes frequent appearances at Denny family parties!
There are so many good low-carb tortilla options, but for tostadas I like these small fajita-size Mission Carb Balance tortillas. (This company doesn’t know I’m alive, but I love their products.) Preheat the oven to 450F/230C. Brush the baking sheet with olive oil and then toast the tortillas for about five minutes to get them crisp and lightly-browned. Turn them several times and watch carefully. (I’ve had a few burned ones!)
To make the Easy Guacamole, first mix the lime juice into the avocado, working quickly so the avocado doesn’t start to turn brown. Then mix in desired amount of Green Tabasco Sauce (or other hot sauce of your choice), salt, and your favorite chili powder. (And if you want to make this even easier by using pre-made guacamole, no judgements from me!) You’ll also need some shredded (thinly sliced) lettuce and grated cheese.
Spread a thin layer of the Easy Guacamole or Cilantro Lover’s Perfect Guacamole on each toasted tortilla. Top that with a small handful of the shredded lettuce. Then sprinkle over a little bit of finely grated cheese and enjoy!
If you’re a guacamole fan but don’t want the carbs of corn chips, you might be surprised how satisfying these Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas are for a quick meal!
More Mexican Food You Can Make with Low-Carb Tortillas:
Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Cheesy Low-Carb Chicken Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas ~ Spend with Pennies
Low-Carb Egg Burritos for a Crowd ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Make-Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas ~ Belly Full
Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken Tortilla Stack ~ Taste and Tell
Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas
These Easy Low-Carb Guacamole Tostadas made with low-carb tortillas are delicious for a quick lunch or light dinner! This recipe makes 4 tostadas, but can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 4 fajita-size low-carb flour tortillas, toasted (I love Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb tortillas.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil, for brushing baking sheet
- about 1 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheese, more or less to taste
Easy Guacamole Ingredients:
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450F/230C and brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Lay the tortillas on the baking sheet and toast until they are firm and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. (Turn them a couple of times while they are toasting and watch carefully because they can go quickly from nicely brown to burned.) Let tortillas cool for a few minutes.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove seed and discard, scrape out the avocado flesh into a small bowl, and quickly mix in the lime juice, mashing the avocado and stirring well so the lime is well-distributed (to keep the avocado from turning brown.)
- Mix in Green Tabasco Sauce (or other hot sauce), salt, and chili powder. (Don’t use too much chili powder or it turns the guacamole brown!)
- To assemble tostadas, spread a thin layer of Easy Guacamole over each toasted tortilla shell, then top with shredded lettuce and finely grated cheese.
- You can add other ingredients if desired like sliced olives, sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, or salsa, but this version with just guacamole, lettuce, and grated cheese is my favorite.
This recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Tampico’s Restaurant memories from years ago!All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Using low-carb tortillas as recommended would make these tostadas a good choice for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet, and good for other low-carb or low-glycemic diets, although probably not for strict Keto plans. (Avocados are permitted for any phase of the South Beach Diet, but they’re a limited food, due to the high fat content.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.