Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs (Video)
We loved these Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs; add a can of diced green chiles to the eggs if you want to spice them up a bit more! And if you serve with low-carb tortillas these tasty breakfast tacos are low in carbs.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs!
I think most people are struggling a bit to cook meals that are fun and interesting without making too many trips to the store. So I want to start out by saying that if you don’t have the exact ingredients I used for these Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs, I hope you’ll improvise a bit and make them with what you have on hand. No matter what exact ingredients you use, I love the idea of making tacos with scrambled eggs tucked into my favorite low-carb tortillas, and I’m recommending this idea as my Friday Favorites recipe this week.
This recipe uses Mission Carb Balance Fajita Size Whole Wheat Tortillas, and I was happy to notice recently that they’re now even lower in net carbs (only 2 net carbs per tortilla for the small whole wheat size.) For the sausage I used Jenni-O Turkey Breakfast Sausage, but pork breakfast sausage would also be delicious here. (Neither of these companies is paying me to promote their products, just in case anyone is wondering about that.)
I used both a red and green bell pepper to add some interest to the mixture, but using all red pepper would also be delicious (and on one of my infrequent trips to the store I noticed enormous red bell peppers on sale, so I just stocked up on those!) If you don’t have fresh peppers you could make breakfast tacos with canned green chiles, or just omit the peppers and make tacos with sausage and egg which will be equally tasty. When I came up with this recipe idea a few years ago with my nephew Jake, we both felt that if you’re careful not to overcook the egg mixture, you can keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat them for another day, and we loved these tacos with cheese, sour cream, and Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link) added at the table; enjoy!
How to Make Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs:
(Scroll down for complete recipe including nutritional information.)
- Brown the sausage in a little olive oil, then add a chopped red pepper and a chopped green pepper and cook until they’re just starting to soften.
- Beat the eggs until they’re well-combined.
- You can remove the sausage and peppers to a plate, but I just used another pan to cook the scrambled eggs. Use or medium-low heat and stir constantly while the eggs are cooking, stopping when your eggs still look kind of wet. (If you want to up the spicy factor in this recipe, stir a small can of diced green chiles into the eggs before you cook them.)
- Then put the sausage/peppers combination into the pan with the egg (heat the sausage mixture for a minute or two first if needed.)
- Gently combine the eggs, sausage, and peppers.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave (or wrap in foil and heat in the oven when you start cooking if you’re making this for a crowd.).
- Fill the hot tortillas with the sausage-peppers-egg mixture, add a little grated cheese and your breakfast tacos are ready!
- Serve hot with extra cheese, salsa, and/or sour cream, and if you want more spiciness add some Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), Cholula Hot Sauce (affiliate link), or your favorite hot sauce.
More Breakfast Recipes with Mexican Flavors:
Egg Burritos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mexican Gashouse Eggs ~ Kitchen Parade
Mexican Baked Eggs with Tomatoes and Green Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Enchilada Breakfast Casserole ~ Chew Out Loud
Fifteen-Minute Salsa Verde Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 8 fajita-size Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas
- 1 lb. turkey or pork ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 10 eggs, beaten to combine yolks and whites
- one 4 oz. can diced green chiles (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use your favorite seasoning for eggs)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste for seasoning eggs
- 1 cup Mexican 4 Cheese Blend
- Have the tortillas, beaten eggs, grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, and hot sauce ready when you start to cook because this comes together quickly and you want the tacos hot when you eat them. (If you’re making this for a few people, it’s easiest to wrap the tortillas in foil and heat in the oven while you’re cooking the filling.)
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan; add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat, breaking apart as it cooks, until the sausage is cooked through and nicely browned.
- While sausage cooks, remove stem end and seeds from the red and green bell peppers and cut the peppers into small pieces.
- When sausage is cooked and browned, add the diced peppers and cook just until they’re starting to soften, about 3-4 minutes more.
- Either remove sausage mixture to a plate or heat the other 2 tsp. oil in a second pan to cook the eggs. (If you’re using the diced green chiles, add them to the egg mixture before you add eggs to the pan.)
- Heat oil over medium (or medium-low heat) and when it’s hot add eggs all at once.
- Use a turner to stir constantly and scrape the partially cooked egg from the bottom and edges of the pan while the eggs cook, stopping when the eggs are mostly firm, but still quite wet looking. (Don’t overcook, eggs will continue to cook even after you turn off the heat.)
- When eggs are done, push them to one side and add the sausage-peppers mixture (Heat this for a minute or two first if needed.)
- Gently combine the sausage, peppers, and eggs.
- Heat individual tortillas in the microwave (or remove from oven if you’re heating them in foil.)
- Fill each tortilla with the sausage-peppers-egg mixture and top with about 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Serve hot, with extra cheese, salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce of your choice to add at the table.
If you’re making these ahead to reheat later, you can reheat the tortillas and the eggs in the microwave or in a pan on the stove, but don’t heat eggs too long or they will be overcooked.
I used Mission Carb Balance Fajita-Size Whole Wheat Tortillas, and Jenni-O Lean MildTurkey Breakfast Sausage Rolls. Nutritional information is calculated using net carbs from the tortillas I recommend, and does not include optional ingredients.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Jake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gUnsaturated Fat: 15.6gCholesterol: 376mgSodium: 841mgCarbohydrates: 6.2gFiber: 10gSugar: 2gProtein: 130g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Using low-carb tortillas would make Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs a great choice for most low-carb eating plans except for Keto, but tortillas are limited to Phase 2 or 3 for the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend the turkey breakfast sausage I used, but if you’re following another type of low-carb plan you may prefer pork sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
These tasty breakfast tacos with breakfast sausage and peppers were first posted September 2015; the recipe was updated and improved April 2020.