Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs (Video)
We loved these Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs; add a can of diced green chiles to the eggs if you want to spice them up a bit more! And these tasty breakfast tacos are low-glycemic and South Beach Diet Phase Two. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs!
It’s the first day of Fall, and although I always have mixed feelings about saying goodbye to summer, I do love the wonderful Indian Summer weather in Utah this time of year. Around here fresh garden vegetables keep coming for weeks after it’s offically Autumn, so sometimes I have a hard time shifting gears to colder-weather food. But I think these Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs are something that would taste good no matter what the weather was doing outside, so they’re perfect for a season-spanning breakfast.
This recipe was inspired by two new products I’m current infatuated with for low-carb cooking: Mission Carb Balance Fajita-Size Whole Wheat Tortillas, and Jenni-O Lean MildTurkey Breakfast Sausage Rolls. I had both of these in the fridge one day when Jake came to test recipes, and we came up with the idea of using them in these breakfast tacos, definitely a winner. (Neither of these companies is paying me to promote their products, just in case anyone is wondering about that.)
Here’s a photo of the fajita-size low-carb tortillas and the turkey breakfast sausage that inspired the recipe. Brown the sausage in a little olive oil, then add a chopped red pepper and a chopped green pepper and cook until they’re just starting to soften.
You can remove the sausage and peppers to a plate, but I just used another pan to cook the scrambled eggs. Use medium (or medium-low) heat and stir constantly while the eggs are cooking, stopping when your eggs still look kind of wet. (If you want to up the spicy factor in this recipe, stir a small can of diced green chiles into the eggs before you cook them.)
Then put the sausage/peppers combination into the pan with the egg (heat the sausage mixture for a minute or two first if needed.) Gently combine the eggs, sausage, and peppers. Heat tortillas in the microwave (or wrap in foil and heat in the oven when you start cooking if you’re making this for a crowd.). Fill the hot tortillas with the sausage-peppers-egg mixture, add a little grated cheese and your breakfast tacos are ready!
More Breakfasts with Mexican Flavors:
Egg Burritos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mexican Gashouse Eggs ~ Kitchen Parade
Mexican Baked Eggs with Black Beans, Tomatoes, Green Chiles, and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Enchilada Breakfast Casserole ~ Chew Out Loud
Fifteen-Minute Salsa Verde Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mexican Omelet Pie ~ Very Culinary
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs
For a new breakfast idea try these Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs; add a can of diced green chiles to the eggs if you want to spice them up a bit more!
- 8 fajita-size low-carb whole wheat tortillas
- 1 lb. turkey or pork ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil (use less oil for pork sausage)
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 10 eggs, beaten to combine yolks and whites
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles (to add to eggs if you want more heat, optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Spike (or use your favorite seasoning for eggs)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste for seasoning eggs
- 1 cup Mexican 4 Cheese Blend + more for adding at the table if desired
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- salsa for serving (optional)
- Green Tabasco Sauce, Cholula, or your favorite hot sauce for serving (optional)
- Have the tortillas, beaten eggs, grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, and hot sauce ready when you start to cook because this comes together quickly and you want the tacos hot when you eat them. (If you’re making this for a few people, it’s easiest to wrap the tortillas in foil and heat in the oven while you’re cooking the filling.)
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan; add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat, breaking apart as it cooks, until the sausage is cooked through and nicely browned.
- While sausage cooks, remove stem end and seeds from the red and green bell peppers and cut the peppers into small pieces.
- When sausage is cooked and browned, add the diced peppers and cook just until they’re starting to soften, about 3-4 minutes more.
- Either remove sausage mixture to a plate or heat the other 2 tsp. oil in a second pan to cook the eggs. (If you’re using the diced green chiles, add them to the egg mixture before you add eggs to the pan.)
- Heat oil over medium (or medium-low heat) and when it’s hot add eggs all at once.
- Use a turner to stir constantly and scrape the partially cooked egg from the bottom and edges of the pan while the eggs cook, stopping when the eggs are mostly firm, but still quite wet looking. (Don’t overcook, eggs will continue to cook even after you turn off the heat.)
- When eggs are done, push them to one side and add the sausage-peppers mixture (Heat this for a minute or two first if needed.)
- Gently combine the sausage, peppers, and eggs.
- Heat individual tortillas in the microwave (or remove from oven if you’re heating them in foil.)
- Fill each tortilla with the sausage-peppers-egg mixture and top with about 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Serve hot, with extra cheese, salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce of your choice to add at the table.
If you’re making these ahead to reheat later, you can reheat the tortillas and the eggs in the microwave or in a pan on the stove, but don’t heat eggs too long or they will be overcooked.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Jake.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Using low-carb tortillas would make Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos with Sausage, Peppers, and Eggs a great choice for most low-carb eating plans except for Keto, but tortillas are limited to Phase 2 or 3 for the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend the turkey breakfast sausage I used, but if you’re following another type of low-carb plan you may prefer pork sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.