Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos Recipe (Video)
We loved this low-carb Breakfast Tacos Recipe with sausage, peppers, and eggs; add diced green chiles if you want more spicy flavor! And if you use low-carb tortillas for these tasty breakfast tacos they’ll be a perfect low-carb breakfast.
We loved this Low-Carb Breakfast Tacos Recipe that produces tasty tacos made with ground turkey or pork breakfast sausage, red bell pepper, and scrambled eggs, and we devoured them with cheese, sour cream, and Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link) added at the table. And I thought the breakfast sausage went perfectly with the peppers and eggs to make a tasty filling to be eaten inside a tortilla.
But no matter what exact ingredients you use for your Breakfast Tacos, I love the idea of mixing scrambled eggs with vegetables and then using that egg mixture as the filling for tacos for breakfast! And if you’re careful not to overcook the egg mixture, you can keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat to enjoy breakfast tacos again another day; I bet no one would mind that. I hope you’ll try this recipe soon!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link), Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas (affiliate link), or other low-carb tortillas
- turkey or pork ground breakfast sausage
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- diced green chiles (affiliate link), optional
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or use your favorite seasoning for eggs
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Mexican Cheese Blend
What tortillas did we use for the breakfast tacos recipe?
This recipe first used Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) to make the breakfast tacos, but lately I have been loving Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas (affiliate link) to use for tacos. Choose any low-carb tortilla you prefer.
What sausage did we use for this breakfast tacos recipe?
For the sausage I originally used Jenni-O Turkey Breakfast Sausage, but when we updated these photos I couldn’t find that and the pork breakfast sausage was also delicious in the breakfast tacos. Use any sausage or other meat that you enjoy with eggs for this recipe!
What peppers are good in breakfast tacos?
I used both red and green bell pepper to add some interest to the mixture, but using all red pepper would also be delicious. If you don’t have fresh peppers you could make breakfast tacos with Roasted Red Peppers in a jar (affiliate link) or canned green chiles or just omit the peppers and make tacos with sausage and egg which will be equally tasty.
Some Fun Variations for this Breakfast Tacos Recipe:
As long as you have eggs and some kind of low-carb tortillas this is a perfect recipe to improvise and make low-carb Breakfast Tacos with what you have on hand.
- You could use bacon, diced ham, diced link sausage, or even a specialty sausage like Chorizo instead of the breakfast sausage we used.
- If you don’t have fresh bell peppers use other vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, or eggplant, or just use roasted red peppers from a jar or canned green chiles.
Can the breakfast tacos be reheated?
When I first came up with this recipe with my nephew Jake and again when I took these new photos with my niece Kara, we definitely felt that if you’re careful not to overcook the egg mixture, you can keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat to make more breakfast tacos for another day.
How to make Breakfast Tacos:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Have tortillas, beaten eggs, grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, and hot sauce ready when you start to cook.
- We used this mild pork breakfast sausage, but turkey breakfast sausage is also delicious in this.
- We loved Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas (affiliate link) for this recipe, but use the low-carb tortillas you prefer.
- If you want spicy flavor, mix the diced green chiles into the beaten eggs.
- Heat olive oil and brown the sausage well.
- While sausage browns, chop red and green bell pepper.
- When sausage is browned push to one side; add chopped peppers and cook until just starting to soften. Then mix sausage and peppers together.
- You can remove sausage and peppers to a plate, but I just used another pan to cook scrambled eggs.
- Heat rest of the oil, use medium-low heat, and add eggs. Season eggs with Spike Seasoning, salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Stir constantly while the eggs are cooking, stopping when your eggs still look wet.
- Then put sausage/peppers mixture into the pan with the egg; heat a minute or two if needed, then gently combine cooked eggs, sausage, and peppers.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave or in a cast iron pan (or wrap in foil and heat in the oven when you start cooking if you’re making this for a crowd.).
- Fill hot tortillas with the sausage-peppers-egg mixture, add grated cheese and your breakfast tacos are ready!
- Serve hot with extra cheese, salsa, and/or sour cream.
- If you want more spiciness add Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), Cholula Hot Sauce (affiliate link), or your favorite hot sauce.
More Breakfasts with Mexican Flavors:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 8 fajita-size Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas or Mr. Tortilla 2 net carb multigrain tortillas
- 1 lb. turkey or pork ground breakfast sausage
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 10 eggs, beaten to combine yolks and whites
- one 4 oz. can diced green chiles (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use your favorite seasoning for eggs)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste for seasoning eggs
- 1 cup Mexican 4 Cheese Blend
- Have the tortillas, beaten eggs, grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, and hot sauce ready when you start to cook because this comes together quickly and you want the tacos hot when you eat them.
- If you’re making this for a few people, it’s easiest to wrap the tortillas in foil and heat them in the oven while you’re cooking the filling.
- Beat eggs until well combined. If you want spicy flavor, stir diced green chiles into eggs.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large frying pan; add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat, breaking apart as it cooks, until the sausage is cooked through and nicely browned.
- While sausage cooks, remove stem end and seeds from the red and green bell peppers and cut the peppers into small pieces.
- When sausage is cooked and browned, push it over in the pan and add the diced peppers and cook just until they’re starting to soften, about 3-4 minutes more. Stir sausage and peppers together.
- Either remove sausage mixture to a plate or heat the other 2 tsp. oil in a second pan to cook the eggs.
- Heat other 2 tsp. oil over medium-low heat and when it’s hot add eggs all at once. Season eggs with Spike Seasoning, plus salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
- Use a turner to stir constantly and scrape the partially cooked egg from the bottom and edges of the pan while the eggs cook, stopping when the eggs are mostly firm, but still quite wet looking. (Don’t overcook, eggs will continue to cook even after you turn off the heat.)
- When eggs are done, push them to one side and add the sausage-peppers mixture (Heat this for a minute or two if needed.)
- Gently combine the sausage, peppers, and eggs.
- Heat individual tortillas in the microwave or in a cast iron pan (or remove from oven if you’re heating them in foil.)
- Fill each tortilla with the sausage-peppers-egg mixture and top with about 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Serve hot, with extra cheese, salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce of your choice to add at the table.
If you’re making these ahead to reheat later, you can reheat the tortillas and the eggs in the microwave or in a pan on the stove, but don’t heat eggs too long or they will be overcooked.
Nutritional information is calculated using net carbs from the tortillas I recommend, and does not include optional ingredients.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Jake. Photos improved with Kara.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gUnsaturated Fat: 15.5gCholesterol: 376mgSodium: 836mgCarbohydrates: 8.1gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 2.9gProtein: 31g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Using low-carb tortillas would make the Breakfast Tacos a great choice for low-carb eating plans and if you choose a tortilla that’s low in net carbs this would work for for Keto. Tortillas are limited to Phase 2 or 3 for the South Beach Diet. South Beach would recommend the turkey breakfast sausage I used, but if you’re following another type of low-carb plan you may prefer pork sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
These tasty breakfast tacos with breakfast sausage and peppers were first posted September 2015; the recipe was last updated with better photos and more information in 2023.