Instant Pot Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos (Video)
Instant Pot Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos can also be made in the slow cooker; use low-carb tortillas or enjoy the chicken in lettuce wraps.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Instant Pot Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos!
I’ve been working on updating some of my favorite slow cooker recipes so I could give cooking instructions for people who want to make them in the Instant Pot, and the last few times I’ve had a recipe-testing day I worked on an Instant Pot variation for Slow Cooker Spicy Shredded Chicken Lettuce Wrap Tacos. But interestingly enough, when we experimented with this recipe for the Instant Pot it inspired a different recipe for cheesy tacos that had cream cheese and cheese melted into the spicy chicken filling.
And sometimes the hardest part of coming up with a new recipe that you’re satisfied with is taking the photos, and we had to photograph this three times before we had a winner! But Jake, Kara, and I all gobbled up one of these Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos on a long recipe-testing day when we weren’t all that hungry, so I can guarantee they are delicious! We liked them best with my favorite whole wheat low-carb tortillas, but if you want a version that’s Keto, gluten-free, or South Beach Diet Phase One you can definitely eat the cheesy chicken taco meat in lettuce wraps or over a salad instead.
Of course you can make these deliciously-cheesy chicken tacos in a slow cooker too; if you prefer that method, just check the recipe for those instructions. We didn’t test these Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos out on any kids, but the chicken taco meat is slightly spicy, so if you’re cooking for younger tastebuds you might want to skip adding the Green Tabasco Sauce and let people add that at the table. But do try this if you like things like creamy chicken enchiladas or chicken tacos with sour cream, and I bet you’ll like them just as much as we did!
How to Make Instant Pot Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Tacos:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- I always use Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link) for recipes that need salsa, because it doesn’t have added sugar.
- Trim the chicken breasts and cut into lengthwise strips.
- Add to the Instant Pot with salsa, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Lock lid and set Instant Pot to HIGH PRESSURE for 8 minutes. When time is up, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, then do quick release until all the pressure is released.
- While chicken cooks, get the Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), fresh lime juice, cubes of cream cheese, and diced green chiles ready to go.
- When pressure is all released, remove chicken to the cutting board.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE/LOW HEAT and simmer to reduce the liquid left in the pressure cooker to about 1/2 cup. Shred the chicken apart with two forks.
- When the sauce has cooked down to about 1/2 cup, turn off Instant Pot and let the liquid cool for a few minutes. Then stir in Green Tabasco Sauce, Lime Juice, diced green chiles with juice, and cubes of cream cheese.
- Whisk until the cream cheese has melted and mixed with the liquid to make a creamy sauce. Then add chicken back into the Instant Pot with the 3/4 cup grated cheese and stir to combine.
- To serve, heat tortillas in a hot dry pan for a minute or so, top with some of the cheesy chicken mixture, olives, green onions, and other toppings as desired.
- We loved these with more Green Tabasco Sauce added at the table. You could also serve with salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, avocado, or guacamole.
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Tasty Tacos from the Instant Pot:
Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Greek Pork Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Chipotle Shredded Beef ~ Taste and Tell
Pressure Cooker (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Pulled Chicken Tacos ~ CopyKat Recipes
Pressure Cooker (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos with Spicy Slaw ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Chicken Walking Tacos ~ Pressure Cooking Today
We used Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link), Medium for the salsa. I used my fresh-frozen lime juice for the lime juice. I used my favorite whole wheat low-carb tortillas (affiliate link) for the tortillas. This recipe adapted from Slow Cooker Spicy Shredded Chicken Lettuce Wrap Tacos. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Slow Cooker Directions:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 495mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 26g
We used Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link), Medium for the salsa. I used my fresh-frozen lime juice for the lime juice. I used my favorite whole wheat low-carb tortillas (affiliate link) for the tortillas.
This recipe adapted from Slow Cooker Spicy Shredded Chicken Lettuce Wrap Tacos.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With low-carb tortillas these cheesy chicken tacos should be suitable for most low-carb diets. The tortillas I prefer have 3 net carbs per tortilla. For Keto or gluten-free, eat the cheesy chicken mixture in lettuce wraps or over salad. This recipe could be made suitable for the South Beach Diet with reduced-fat cream cheese and cheese and would be Phase Two with low-carb tortillas or Phase One with lettuce wraps or eaten over salad.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Check out Pressure Cooker Recipes for more ideas like this one.Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.