Asian Salmon Patties with Sesame-Lime Mayonnaise
Asian Salmon Patties with Sesame-Lime Mayonnaise are absolutely amazing, and this is a great dinner when want a new idea for cooking salmon.
Last year my brother Dave and his four sons went to Alaska and fished for salmon and halibut. I’ve been the grateful recipient of some of the frozen wild salmon and halibut they had shipped back to Utah, so lately I’ve been looking for some new ideas for cooking both these types of fish.
If you enter “salmon recipes” into the search bar on the blog, you’ll see quite a few recipes for salmon, including Salmon Patties made with canned salmon, but these salmon patties are a completely new way to cook salmon for me. Asian Salmon Patties with Sesame-Lime Mayonnaise are made with chopped raw salmon, flash frozen so they keep their shape, and then pan-fried in a small amount of olive oil. The salmon patties are seasoned with Sriracha and plenty of ginger and scallions and served with a delightful sesame-lime mayonnaise that goes perfectly with the salmon.
I found this recipe in Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast, the companion volume to Everyday Food: Great Food Fast. (affiliate links) These two paperback cookbooks from the kitchens of Martha Stewart Living are both ones I’ve used over and over for simple but creative recipe ideas. I changed this recipe a little, subbing green onions for shallots and using my beloved Sriracha Sauce (affiliate link) instead of red pepper flakes.
How to Make Asian Salmon Patties with Sesame-Lime Mayonnaise:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Remove skin from the salmon and finely chop the fish.
- Finely mince 1 T green onion and grate 2 T fresh ginger root.
- Mix one egg with 1/2 tsp. Sriracha sauce. (I did this to get the spicy flavor well-distributed in the salmon, and it worked well. If you like it spicy, use a bit more Sriracha.)
- Mix the minced green onion, grated ginger root, and Sriracha-egg mixture into the chopped salmon. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Put a piece of cling-wrap on a baking sheet, then form the salmon mixture into four patties and put them in the freezer until they are just firm, about 30 minutes.
- While the salmon is freezing, stir together light mayo, thinly sliced scallions, lime juice, and sesame oil to make the Sesame-Lime Mayonnaise.
- When they feel very firm to the touch, remove the patties from the freezer.
- Fry the patties in a tiny bit of olive oil, just 4-6 minutes per side.
- Patties are done when they’re nicely browned on both sides. Serve hot, with the sauce on the side.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
These Asian Flavored Wild Salmon Patties with Sesame-Lime Mayonnaise would be delicious with Low-Carb Spicy Cilantro-Peanut Slaw for a low-carb meal!
More Delicious Ways to Cook Salmon:
- 24 oz. wild salmon, skin removed and finely chopped
- 1 T finely minced green onion
- 2 T grated fresh ginger root
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. Sriracha sauce
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 T olive oil (for frying the salmon patties)
- lime wedges for serving (optional, but good)
Sesame-Mayo Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 green onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. Asian sesame seed oil
- Remove skin from salmon; then finely chop the salmon and put in a mixing bowl.
- Slice green onions, and then finely mince, using a large chef’s knife.
- Grate ginger root until you have enough to make 2 T grated ginger.
- Beat the egg with a fork; then mix in 1/2 tsp. (or more) Sriracha sauce.
- Put minced green onion, grated ginger, and egg-Sriracha mixture in the bowl with the chopped salmon, season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper, and use your hands to combine.
- Put a piece of cling wrap over a baking sheet; then form the salmon into four patties and place on cling wrap.
- Put patties into the freezer for 20-30 minutes, until they are firm but not frozen through.
- While salmon is freezing, whisk together the mayo, sliced scallions, lime juice, and sesame oil to make the Sesame-Lime Mayonnaise.
- When salmon patties are firm, heat 2 tsp. oil in large heavy frying pan over medium-high head.
- Add salmon patties and cook 4-6 minutes per side, until the patties are browned and cooked through. (Add more oil to cook the second side if needed. Cook until done, but don’t overcook.)
- Serve hot, with Sesame-Lime mayonnaise on the side and additional lime wedges to squeeze over if desired.
This recipe adapted slightly from Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 49g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Everything about this recipe for Asian Flavored Wild Salmon Patties is a great choice for the South Beach Diet or any type of low-carb eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Seafood Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.