Ratatouille Stew with Italian Sausage
Ratatouille Stew with Italian Sausage uses the same vegetables that are in the French vegetable stew called Ratatouille, plus chunks of Italian Sausage!
For this week’s Friday Favorites post I’m sharing this recipe for Ratatouille Stew with Italian Sausage which has evolved through the years I’ve been blogging into a favorite late-season zucchini recipe for me! This tasty stew uses the same vegetables that are in the French stew called Ratatouille, plus chunks of Italian Sausage for protein! And this is an especially exciting Friday for me because in a few hours I’m getting on a plane to go to New York with some of my best friends, for a fun-packed week exploring The Big Apple! I may not keep up with comments quite as quickly as normal during the week, but I’ll definitely be checking in.
Years ago I spotted a gorgeous recipe for Ratatouille on La Tartine Gourmande, and it inspired me to try my hand at making Ratatouille. Then along came a hugely-popular movie that made this dish even more famous! When I first made Ratatouille I relied on my garden for ingredients, and I couldn’t think about buying eggplant, since I had such a surplus of squash that needed to be used. I didn’t have shallots so I used red onion. When it came time for fresh herbs, Bea had used fresh tarragon, something I didn’t have in my garden at that time, so I decided to substitute parsley and basil.
More than 10 years later I updated the recipe, and this time I ventured from traditional Ratatouille even more, adding some chunks of spicy Italian sausage to make this a complete meal. We served the Ratatouille Stew with Italian Sausage with freshly-grated Parmesan on the side, which is definitely more Italian than French! But even with all the quirky changes I made, this was delicious, and zucchini season is winding down so I’m reminding you to make it! If you have garden zucchini, yellow summer squash, tomatoes, peppers, and herbs, this Ratatouille Stew is a wonderful way to use them! You can use Low-Carb and Keto Stew Recipes to find more ideas like this one.
How to Make Ratatouille Stew with Italian Sausage:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Brown the Italian sausage, then set aside to cool. (I used my favorite turkey Italian sausage, but for Keto you could certainly substitute higher-fat pork sausage if you prefer.)
- Add a tiny bit more oil and cook the pieces of zucchini and yellow squash about 5 minutes, and put them in a bowl.
- Add a bit more olive oil and cook the peppers, onions, and garlic a few minutes.
- Then add tomatoes, gently combine vegetables, and cook about 5 minutes more.
- Add yellow squash and zucchini back into the pan with parsley, dried oregano, salt, and pepper and simmer about 30 minutes over low heat.
- Cut sausage into chunks and add it to the stew, with a bit more olive oil if desired, and simmer 30 minutes more, or until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add sliced or chopped basil, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and cook a few minutes more. I used my beloved Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to cut the basil.
- Serve hot, with more thinly-sliced basil and freshly-grated Parmesan to add at the table if desired.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
Ratatouille Stew with Italian Sausage could easily be a one-dish meal, but if you wanted a side dish I’d love this with Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese!
More Tasty Dishes with Zucchini and Summer Squash:
Low-Carb Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tri-Color Thai Salad with Zucchini and Yellow Squash ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup with Rosemary and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Summer Squash Fritters ~ Aggie’s Kitchen
Roasted Summer Squash with Garlic, Feta Cheese, and Basil ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomato, Eggplant, Zucchini Bake ~ Well Plated
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- one 19.5 oz. package uncooked turkey Italian sausage (see notes)
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 zucchini, chopped medium
- 2 yellow summer squash, chopped medium
- 1/2 red onion, chopped small
- 6 large cloves garlic, chopped small
- 6 red or yellow tomatoes, chopped medium
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped medium
- 1 red pepper, chopped medium
- 3 T chopped fresh parsley (see notes)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced fresh basil (I used my herb scissors to get nice slices of basil), plus more to garnish the finished dish if desired
- sea salt to finish
- Heat small amount of olive oil in large, heavy pan, add the Italian sausage, and cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is browned on all sides.
- Set sausage aside to cool on a cutting board.
- Then add a bit more oil, add zucchini and yellow squash to the pan, and cook about 5 minutes, until it’s starting to brown slightly.
- Remove squash from the pan and set aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil, then add peppers, onions, and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to pan, gently combine the vegetables, lower heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash back into pan with parsley, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered about 30 minutes. (You can add a little more olive oil if desired.)
- Cut the sausage into diagonal slices and add to the pan and cook about 30-45 minutes more.
- When sausage is cooked through and stew is flavorful, add sliced or chopped fresh basil, season with sea salt and cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Serve hot or room temperature, with more sliced basil and Parmesan cheese to add at the table if desired.
- This will keep in the fridge for several days and reheats well.
I used my favorite turkey Italian sausage, but for Keto you could certainly substitute higher-fat pork sausage if you prefer. You could use any fresh herbs that appeal to you for this recipe. I used my Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to cut the basil.
Recipe originally adapted from Ratatouille by Bea of La Tartine Gourmande.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 803mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 27g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Ratatouille Stew with Italian Sausage is a great choice for low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic diets. You may want to use pork sausage and slightly less tomatoes for Keto. It’s also great for any phase of the original South Beach Diet, which would prefer the leaner turkey Italian sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes or Stews to find more recipes like this one.Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.