Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage
Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage uses the same vegetables that are in the French summer vegetable stew called Ratatouille, plus chunks of Italian Sausage for protein!! Use Zucchini Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
For this week’s Friday Favorites post I’m sharing this recipe for Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage which has evolved through the many years I’ve been blogging into a favorite late-season zucchini recipe for me! This tasty stew uses the same vegetables that are in the French summer vegetable stew called Ratatouille, plus chunks of Italian Sausage for protein! And this is an especially exciting Friday for me because in a few hours I’m getting on a plane to go to New York with some of my best friends, for a fun-packed week exploring The Big Apple! I may not keep up with comments quite as quickly as normal during the week, but I’ll definitely be checking in.
Way back in 2006 I spotted what I considered to be a gorgeous recipe for Ratatouille on the blog of talented cook and photographer Bea of La Tartine Gourmande. It inspired me to try my hand at making Ratatouille, even though, like Bea, I never liked it when my mother made it either. Then along came a hugely-popular movie that made this dish even more famous!
When I first made Ratatouille I relied on my garden for ingredients, and I couldn’t think about buying eggplant, since I had such a surplus of squash that needed to be used. I didn’t have shallots so I used red onion. When it came time for fresh herbs, Bea had used fresh tarragon, something I didn’t have in my garden at that time, so I decided to substitute parsley and basil. And after I made so many changes, I decided to call my recipe Ratatouille Wanna-Be.
More than 10 years later I updated the photos from that early post, and this time I ventured from traditional Ratatouille a bit more, adding some chunks of spicy Italian sausage to make this a complete meal. We served the Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage with freshly-grated Parmesan on the side, which is definitely more Italian than French!
But even with all the quirky changes I made, this was just so, so delicious, and zucchini season is winding down so I’m reminding you to make it! If you have garden zucchini, yellow summer squash, tomatoes, peppers, and herbs, this Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew is a wonderful way to use them!
Starting Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage:
(This is just a summary of the steps shown in the photos; scroll down for complete recipe.)
- Brown the Italian sausage, then set aside to cool. (I used my favorite turkey Italian sausage, but for Keto you could certainly substitute higher-fat pork sausage if you prefer.)
- Add a tiny bit more oil and cook the pieces of zucchini and yellow squash about 5 minutes, and put them in a bowl.
- Add a bit more olive oil and cook the peppers, onions, and garlic a few minutes.
- Then add tomatoes, gently combine vegetables, and cook about 5 minutes more.
Finishing Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage:
- Add yellow squash and zucchini back into the pan with parsley, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar (optional) and simmer about 30 minutes over low heat.
- Cut sausage into chunks and add it to the stew, with a bit more olive oil if desired, and simmer 30 minutes more, or until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add sliced or chopped basil, season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and cook a few minutes more.
- Serve hot, with more thinly-sliced basil and some freshly-grated Parmesan to add at the table if desired.
I used my Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to get nice slices of basil; don’t you love the way that looks!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage could easily be a one-dish meal, but if you wanted a side dish I’d love this with Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese!
More Tasty Dishes with Zucchini and Summer Squash:
Low-Carb Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tri-Color Thai Salad with Zucchini and Yellow Squash ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup with Rosemary and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Summer Squash Fritters ~ Aggie’s Kitchen
Roasted Summer Squash with Garlic, Feta Cheese, and Basil ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tomato, Eggplant, Zucchini Bake ~ Well Plated
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage
Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew uses a lot of the same vegetables that are in the French summer vegetable stew called Ratatouille, plus I add chunks of Italian Sausage for more protein!
- 5 links (18-20 oz.) uncooked Italian sausage
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 2 zucchini, chopped medium
- 2 yellow summer squash, chopped medium
- 1/2 red onion, chopped small
- 6 large cloves garlic, chopped small
- 6 red or yellow tomatoes, chopped medium
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped medium
- 1 red pepper, chopped medium
- 3 T chopped fresh parsley
(you could use any fresh herbs that appeal to you)
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional, but it cuts down on the acidity of the tomatoes)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced fresh basil (I used my herb scissors to get nice slices of basil), plus more to garnish the finished dish if desired
- sea salt to finish
- Heat small amount of olive oil in large, heavy pan, add the Italian sausage, and cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is browned on all sides.
- Set sausage aside to cool on a cutting board.
- Then add a bit more oil, add zucchini and yellow squash to the pan, and cook about 5 minutes, until it’s starting to brown slightly.
- Remove squash from the pan and set aside.
- Add a bit more olive oil, then add peppers, onions, and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to pan, gently combine the vegetables, lower heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash back into pan with parsley, sugar, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered about 30 minutes. (You can add a little more olive oil if desired.)
- Cut the sausage into diagonal slices and add to the pan and cook about 30-45 minutes more.
- When sausage is cooked through and stew is flavorful, add sliced or chopped fresh basil, season with sea salt and cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Serve hot or room temperature, with more sliced basil and Parmesan cheese to add at the table if desired.
- This Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Italian Stew will keep in the fridge for several days and reheats well.
I used my favorite turkey Italian sausage, but for Keto you could certainly substitute higher-fat pork sausage if you prefer.
I used my Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to cut the basil.
Recipe originally adapted from Ratatouille by Bea of La Tartine Gourmande.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Ratatouille Wanna-Be Stew with Italian Sausage is a great choice for low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic diets. You may want to use pork sausage and slightly less tomatoes for Keto. It’s also great for any phase of the South Beach Diet, which would prefer the leaner turkey Italian sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.