Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw (Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker)
Shredded Buffalo chicken gets tucked into low-carb tortillas and topped with blue cheese coleslaw in this tasty and easy pressure cooker or slow cooker recipe. If you like the flavor of Buffalo chicken, Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Tacos are a great dinner option! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
It’s Mother’s Day, and I am missing my mom like I do every year on this day. If you’re lucky enough to be celebrating with your mom or being honored by your kids, I hope you have a wonderful day!
I’m going to my sister Pam’s house for Mother’s Day dinner later today, but first I want to get this new recipe for Pressure Cooker Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw posted, and I’m so glad to finally be getting back to normal and able to post a new recipe for you. Thanks for your patience while I was fighting off the bronchitis I got in Thailand; I am about 80% better now.
When I shared the Pressure Cooker Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos, I told you how I have a goal of sharing more pressure cooker recipes, but for a while every one I tried was not a keeper. These Buffalo chicken tacos make two pressure cooker winners in a row though, so maybe I am getting the hang of the pressure cooker. Kara and I loved these tacos! I hope you’ll give this recipe a try if you have an Instant Pot or a Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker (or even a stovetop model.) If you like Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and blue cheese, you’ll love these tacos.
And if you’d prefer to make these tasty buffalo chicken tacos in a slow cooker, just use the chicken instructions from my recipe for Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowl!
Trim chicken breasts and cut in half lengthwise. Melt butter and mix in the chicken stock and Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. Add the chicken and sauce to the pressure cooker, lock the lid, and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
When the pressure has released, unlock lid, remove chicken breasts to a cutting board, and after they cool for a few minutes shred the chicken apart with two forks. (See how much liquid is in the pressure cooker, and summer to reduce and thicken the sauce if you think it needs it.) Put the chicken back into the sauce and keep warm while you make the blue cheese coleslaw. I used Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas.
Heat tortillas one at a time on a dry cast iron pan or griddle and fill each tortilla with some of the spicy chicken, some slaw, and a few extra crumbles of blue cheese if desired. Serve right away, with extra hot sauce to add at the table for those who want it.
Love Your Instant Pot?
Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes!
More Low-Carb Pressure Cooker Dinners:
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef with Creamy Horseradish Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Crustless Meat Lover’s Quiche ~ Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker All-Beef Ancho and Anaheim Chili ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Whole Chicken with Gravy ~ Sugar-Free Mom
Instant Pot (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Green Chile Pork Taco Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde ~ Two Peas and Their Pod
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Pressure Cooker Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw
If you like the flavor of Buffalo chicken, Low-Carb Buffalo Chicken Tacos are a great dinner option!
- 8 medium or 6 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 T butter, melted (The inspiring recipe used a whole cup of butter; go for it if you want to use more!)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (This is fairly spicy; if you want it milder use a bit more chicken stock and a little less hot sauce.)
Blue Cheese Coleslaw Ingredients:
- 6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (You could use a mix of green and red if you prefer.)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1/3 cup blue cheese salad dressing (I used Lighthouse Original Bleu Cheese.)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (You could also make Ridiculously Easy Blue Cheese Coleslaw to use in these tacos if you wanted to.)
- 8-10 low-carb flour tortillas (I used Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas.)
- additional crumbled blue cheese if desired, optional
- Trim fat and any undesirable parts from the chicken breasts and cut each one in half lengthwise.
- Melt the butter, then stir in chicken stock and Frank’s Red Hot Sauce to make the cooking liquid. (You could melt butter and mix the sauce right in the pressure cooker.)
- Put the chicken and cooking liquid into the pressure cooker, lock lid, and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes; then let the pressure release naturally.
- While the chicken cooks and pressure releases, use a Mandoline Slicer with the 3mm blade to thinly slice the red cabbage.
- Slice green onions, then mix the cabbage and green onions.
- Stir in the blue cheese dressing, then the crumbled blue cheese, and season the slaw to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the pressure has released, use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the pressure cooker and place on a cutting board. (Check the liquid left in the pressure cooker and if it seems like too much liquid or it seems too thin, simmer to reduce the liquid while you prepare the rest of the recipe. You may not need to do this, depending on how much liquid is released by the chicken you use.)
- Let the chicken cool for a minute or two; then use two forks to shred the chicken apart.
- If you are simmering the cooking liquid to thicken it, wait until the liquid has reduced as much as you’d like it to, then add the shredded chicken back into the pressure cooker, stir to combine with the sauce, and keep warm.
- Heat tortillas one at a time for a minute or so in a dry cast-iron frying pan.
- Fill each tortilla with a generous amount of shredded chicken, some blue cheese coleslaw, and additional sprinkles of crumbled blue cheese if desired.
- Serve right away, with extra Frank’s Red Hot Sauce to add at the table if desired.
Recipe adapted from Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches in The Easy Pressure Cooker Cookbook
.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you use low-carb flour tortillas, this recipe should be approved for most low-carb eating plans. For the South Beach Diet, this would be considered Phase Two because of the tortillas. This shredded Buffalo chicken would also be delicious served over salad or inside lettuce wraps if you want a Keto or gluten-free option.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for Pressure Cooker / Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutritional analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.