Mini Frittatas with Broccoli and Three Cheeses (Video)
These Mini Frittatas with Broccoli and Three Cheeses are tasty and easy to make, and they’re a fun idea for a low-carb breakfast. And everyone who likes the combination of broccoli with cheese is going to love this!
If you’re familiar with my recipes for egg muffins or cottage cheese and egg breakfast muffins, I want to tell you how these Mini-Frittatas with Broccoli and Three Cheeses are different from those. The mini frittatas have more veggies and cheese than the egg muffins, which gives them a slightly denser texture and lots of flavor, and they’re eaten with a fork.
And yes, technically frittatas are cooked in a pan on the stove and then browned in the oven, but I still think the name mini frittatas really captures the essence of this dish that has the same texture as a frittata made on the stove. I tested out the new-and-improved version of these with Jake at the end of a long cooking day when we weren’t really very hungry, and we still gobbled them up!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- grated cheddar cheese
- coarsely-grated Parmesan cheese
- cottage cheese
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or use other all-purpose seasoning of your choice
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
What pan did I use to cook the Mini-Frittatas?
The Mini Tart Pan (affiliate link) I’m so infatuated with is perfect for these mini-frittatas. Of course if you don’t want to buy a fancy tart pan, these can certainly be made in large silicone muffin cups (affiliate link), a regular large muffin pan, or any kind of individual large ramekins or little tart pans, and they might be just slightly different sized than the ones I made. But if you do decide you want the pan (which I love, love, love) look after the recipe for more ideas of what to make in it!
How are the Mini-Frittatas different from a Frittata?
A Frittata is a type of Italian omelet that’s not folded over and it’s usually finished under the broiler for a browned top. These mini-frittatas are cooked in the oven, but they have the same texture and browned top as a Frittata, so I hope no one will be upset that I gave them that name!
More ideas for this tart pan:
- Crustless Breakfast Tarts with Mushrooms
- Zucchini Tarts
- Crustless Breakfast Tarts with Asparagus
- Southwestern Crustless Breakfast Tarts
- Crustless Tomato Basil Tarts
Mini Frittatas with Mushrooms, Cottage Cheese, and Feta
How to make Mini Frittatas with Broccoli and Three Cheeses:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C and spray the Mini Tart Pan (affiliate link) or whatever baking container you’re using with non-stick spray.
- Chop enough broccoli to make 2 1/2 cups, then microwave on high 1-2 minutes, or just until it’s barely starting to cook.
- Divide broccoli among the tart wells and top with cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Put cottage cheese in a fine-mesh colander and rinse with cold water, then let it drain.
- While cottage cheese drains, beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) (if using), and a little fresh ground pepper.
- Mix the cottage cheese with the eggs and pour it into the tart wells, dividing evenly among the 6 of them.
- Then use a fork and gently “stir” so the broccoli-cheese-egg-cottage cheese mixture is well combined.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until mini-frittatas are set and starting to brown. (They will puff up a bit when they cook and settle down a little as they cool.)
- Serve hot, with sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce to add at the table if desired.
More Frittatas for Breakfast:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 1/2 cups chopped broccoli pieces
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6 T coarsely-grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese (rinsed, then drained)
- 2 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use other all-purpose seasoning of your choice)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray Mini Tart Pan (affiliate link) or muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- Cut broccoli into small, bite-sized flowerets. (If you cut through the broccoli stem and then pull the floweret part apart, you can avoid the mess from broccoli "crumbs" on the cutting board.)
- Put broccoli into a bowl or large measuring cup, cover with cling wrap, and microwave on high for about 1-2 minutes, or until broccoli just starts to cook.
- Divide broccoli among the tart wells. Put a generous pinch of cheddar cheese on top of the broccoli, then add coarsely-grated Parmesan on top of the cheddar.
- Put the cottage cheese into a fine-mesh colander, rinse with cold water, and let drain.
- Break eggs into a glass measuring cup with a pour spout, and beat with a fork until egg yolks and whites are combined. Add drained cottage cheese, Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or other seasoning, and black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over broccoli and cheese, dividing the eggs evenly among the tart wells.
- Stir gently with the fork so ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until eggs are firm and frittatas are starting to get slightly browned on top. Serve hot, topped with a dollop of sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce if desired.
- Mini Frittatas can be kept in the fridge for several days and microwaved to reheat. Don't microwave for more than about a minute or the eggs will get rubbery.
Recipe created by Kalyn in 2010 and updated in 2017.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 277mgSodium: 973mgCarbohydrates: 5.1gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Mini Frittatas with Broccoli and Three Cheeses would be great for low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic diet plans. If made with low-fat cheese and low-fat cottage cheese, they would make a great breakfast for any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe for little breakfast tarts that I called mini frittatas was first posted in 2010. It was last updated with more information in 2023.