Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast (Video)
Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast is an Instant Pot version of one of the most popular slow cooker pot roasts on this site, and making pot roast in the Instant Pot is easy and quick!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast!
Recently when I posted Instant Pot Salsa Chicken with Lime and Melted Mozzarella I talked about how I’ve been working on Instant Pot versions of some of my most popular slow cooker recipes. And this Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast is another one that took a few tries to come up with an Instant Pot version, but the slightly-spicy Southwestern beef was so delicious in the Instant Pot version we ended up with.
If you still prefer the slow cooker, check out Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker instead. Either way you cook it, the Southwestern Pot Roast was delicious served as pot roast, with some of the sauce spooned over. And this spicy beef can also be shredded apart and served as tacos with my favorite low-carb tortillas, or make lettuce wrap tacos if you prefer. Or eat the spicy Southwestern beef on taco salad, in burritos, or use it for a Cauliflower Rice Taco Bowl. No matter how you eat it, this will be a dinner idea that’s easy and delicious; enjoy!
This recipe was featured in 10 Amazing Low-Carb Mexican Food Dinners to make in the Instant Pot on my other site Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker!
How to Cook Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Start reducing beef broth in a pan on the stove or in the Instant Pot. (We experimented and the pot roast was definitely more flavorful when the broth was reduced before pressure cooking, instead of reducing the sauce at the end. We liked reducing the stock and browning the meat on the stove which is what the photos show.)
- Trim the roast to remove visible fat (as much as you prefer), and season the meat with Kalyn’s Montreal Steak Seasoning or your favorite steak seasoning (affiliate link).
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat well (or use the Instant Pot and brown it in two batches.)
- Put all the browned beef in the Instant Pot.
- Then add the reduced beef stock to the pan and cook until it’s reduced to about 1/2 cup, scraping off the browned bits from the pan. (It may or may not already be reduced that much.)
- Add 3/4 cup salsa to the reduced broth, mix, and then pour that cooking sauce over the meat in the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE and 35 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot release pressure manually when the time is up.
Finishing Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast:
- Remove the meat to a cutting board.
- We used a Fat Separator (affiliate link) to remove some of the fat from the cooking liquid, but that’s probably optional if you trimmed your meat well.
- Then add about 1/2 cup more salsa to the sauce. We used the Instant Pot to warm it while we cut the meat apart.
- Serve hot, with the sauce spooned over the meat.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This would be delicious with Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese or Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan for a low-carb meal!
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes:
Instant Pot Low-Carb All Beef Ancho and Anaheim Chili ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Beef and Broccoli ~ Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot (or Stovetop) Low-Carb Taco Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Red Wine Beef Stew ~ The Little Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef with Creamy Horseradish Sauce ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Balsamic Pot Roast in the Instant Pot ~ Mama Loves Food
Pressure Cooker (or Slow Cooker) Low-Carb Flank Steak Tacos with Spicy Mexican Slaw ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
I started with a roast that was nearly 4 pounds before I trimmed it. We used Kalyn's Montreal Steak Seasoning for this recipe, but there are many good brands of purchased steak seasoning. We used Pace Picante Sauce Medium (affiliate link) for this recipe but if you're making this for kids you might prefer mild salsa. This recipe adapted for the Instant Pot from Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 568mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 65g
I started with a roast that was nearly 4 pounds before I trimmed it. We used Kalyn's Montreal Steak Seasoning for this recipe, but there are many good brands of purchased steak seasoning. We used Pace Picante Sauce Medium (affiliate link) for this recipe but if you're making this for kids you might prefer mild salsa.
This recipe adapted for the Instant Pot from Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
It’s important to use a low-sugar salsa for this Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast. As long as you choose a salsa with the lowest sugar you can find, this recipe should be good for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Pressure Cooker Recipes for more ideas for your Instant Pot! Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.