Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast (Video)
This Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast can also be made in the Slow Cooker, and this is delicious for an easy meal! And this amazing Keto Pot Roast is extra low in carbs and only has five ingredients.
PIN the Southwestern Pot Roast recipe to make it later!
When I posted Instant Pot Salsa Chicken I talked about how I’ve been working on Instant Pot versions of some of my most popular slow cooker recipes. And this Southwestern Pot Roast is another slow cooker recipe that took a few tries to come up with an Instant Pot recipe, but the slightly-spicy Southwestern beef was so delicious in the Instant Pot version we ended up with.
And this recipe is extra low in carbs so it’s a great Keto Pot Roast recipe that only has five ingredients! Or Iif you still prefer the slow cooker, check out Slow Cooker Southwestern Pot Roast instead. Either way you cook it, this recipe was delicious served as pot roast, with some of the sauce spooned over.
And the spicy beef can also be shredded apart and served as tacos with my favorite Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) or Mr. Tortilla 2 Net Carb Multigrain Tortillas (affiliate link). Or make lettuce wrap tacos if you prefer, or eat the spicy Southwestern beef on taco salad, in burritos, or use it for a Cauliflower Rice Taco Bowl. No matter how you eat it, this will be a dinner idea that’s easy and delicious; enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- reduced sodium canned beef broth (affiliate link) (I used my homemade Beef Stock)
- beef chuck roast
- Szeged Steak Rub (affiliate link)or steak seasoning of your choice
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link) or other low-sugar salsa
What gives this recipe Southwestern Flavors?
It’s the Pace Picante Sauce that gives this pot roast such great Southwestern flavors, and I love that it doesn’t have added sugar. If you want a bit more spicy flavor, you could add a can of diced green chiles (affiliate link) when you put it in the Instant Pot.
Is this a Keto Pot Roast Recipe?
If you use a low-sugar salsa like the Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link) that I’m such a fan of, this Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast will have about 3 carbs in a serving and 12 grams of fat, so it’s great for Keto diets.
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out all my Instant Pot Recipes! You can find lots more Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Recipes on my Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker site.
Who else loves Pace Picante Sauce?
Check out Low-Carb Recipes with Pace Picante Sauce for more tasty recipe ideas with spicy Southwestern flavors.
Want More Low-Carb Mexican Food?
Check out Low-Carb and Keto Mexican Food Dinners for more Mexican food without the carbs! For more Low-Carb recipes using the Instant Pot check out Favorite Keto Instant Pot Recipes.
Assembling Southwestern Pot Roast in the Instant Pot:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Start reducing beef broth in a pan on the stove or in the Instant Pot (affiliate link). (We experimented and the pot roast was definitely more flavorful when the broth was reduced before pressure cooking, instead of reducing the sauce at the end. We liked reducing the stock and browning the meat on the stove which is what the photos show.)
- Trim the roast to remove visible fat (as much as you prefer), and season the meat with Kalyn’s Montreal Steak Seasoning or your favorite steak seasoning (affiliate link).
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat well (or use the Instant Pot and brown it in two batches.)
- Put all the browned beef in the Instant Pot.
- Then add the reduced beef stock to the pan and cook until it’s reduced to about 1/2 cup, scraping off the browned bits from the pan. (It may or may not already be reduced that much.)
- Add 3/4 cup salsa to the reduced broth, mix, and then pour that cooking sauce over the meat in the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE and 35 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot release pressure manually when the time is up.
Finishing the Southwestern Pot Roast:
- Remove the meat to a cutting board.
- We used a Fat Separator (affiliate link) to remove some of the fat from the cooking liquid, but that’s probably optional if you trimmed your meat well.
- Then add about 1/2 cup more salsa to the sauce. We used the Instant Pot to warm it while we cut the meat apart.
- Serve hot, with the sauce spooned over the meat.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This would be delicious with Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese, Cauliflower Gratin, Easy Cauliflower Rice, Lemony Green Beans, or Air Fryer Asparagus with Lemon and Parmesan for a low-carb meal!
More Instant Pot Mexican Beef Recipes:
- Instant Pot Low-Carb All Beef Ancho and Anaheim Chili
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Instant Pot Taco Meat
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans with Ground Beef
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast
Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast is an easy low-carb dinner that the whole family will love!
- 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced sodium beef broth, reduced until it's 1/2 cup strong broth
- 3 lb. beef chuck roast, visible fat trimmed and cut into several pieces (see notes)
- steak seasoning of your choice to rub on the meat (see notes)
- 2 tsp. olive oil for browning meat
- 3/4 cup + 1/2 cup low-sugar salsa (see notes)
- Start reducing the can of beef broth in a pan on the stove or in the Instant Pot (affiliate link) while you brown the meat. (We liked reducing the stock and browning the meat on the stove, but take your choice on that.)
- Trim the roast to remove visible fat (as much as you prefer), and season the meat with Kalyn's Montreal Steak Seasoning or your favorite steak seasoning (affiliate link).
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat well (or use the Instant Pot and brown it in two batches.) Put the browned beef in the Instant Pot.
- Then add the reduced beef stock to the pan and cook longer as needed until it's reduced to about 1/2 cup, scraping off the browned bits from the pan. It may or may not already be reduced that much. (If you chose to brown the meat in the Instant Pot, just reduce the stock to 1/2 cup in the saucepan and then add salsa and pour over the meat in the Instant Pot.)
- Add 3/4 cup salsa to the reduced broth and pour that cooking sauce over the meat in the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE and 35 minutes. Let the Instant Pot release pressure manually when the time is up.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board.
- We used a Fat Separator (affiliate link) to remove some of the fat from the cooking liquid left in the Instant Pot; optional. Then add about 1/2 cup more salsa to the sauce. We used the Instant Pot to warm it while we cut the meat apart.
- Serve hot, with the sauce spooned over the meat.
I started with a roast that was nearly 4 pounds before I trimmed it. We used Kalyn's Montreal Steak Seasoning for this recipe, but there are many good brands of purchased steak seasoning. We used Pace Picante Sauce Medium (affiliate link) for this recipe but if you're making this for kids you might prefer mild salsa.
This recipe adapted for the Instant Pot from Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast in the Slow Cooker.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 568mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 65g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
It’s important to use a low-sugar salsa for this Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast. As long as you choose a salsa with the lowest sugar you can find, this recipe should be good for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including Keto or any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Instant Pot Recipes for more ideas for your Instant Pot! Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, or on Instagram to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
The Instant Pot version of this popular Southwestern Pot Roast was posted in 2018. It was last updated with more information in 2022.
8 Comments on “Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast (Video)”
This is a fam fave in our house. I cook down the sauce to a thicker consistency at the end but otherwise stick to recipe as written. Delicious, easy, and good for multiple meals (tacos etc).
So glad you are enjoying it!
I made this recipe on Thursday. It is, to quote my husband “awesome!” . And that, btw is very high praise from him. I’ve made a few pot roast recipes from other sites and while they were fine, they were just fine. This was so good! The only thing that would have made it better according to my husband is a couple of our own green chiles from our freezer. But we’re from New Mexico and that’s how we roll.
What I really appreciate is we managed three meals from this one recipe. The roast the first night, burritos the next and tacos tonight! Yum. Thanks so much.
So glad you enjoyed it! Sorry to be slow to reply; for some reason this reply didn’t come to my e-mail and I just noticed it!
I’ve been doing the same, going back into my recipe archives and converting more of them to Instant Pot recipes for the way I cook now. This one is definitely my style, so I’ll be trying that soon!
Thanks Lydia, glad you like it!
Sounds like a delicious way to spice up a roast.
Thanks Barbara; we really enjoyed it!