Beef and Sausage Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Beef and Sausage Meatballs in Tomato Sauce are delicious and kid-friendly and this has only 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs, but switch that for a low-carb ingredient if you prefer! Use Oven Dinners to find more recipes like this one.
I’m going through a process of updating some of my earliest recipes with better photos and sometimes improved instructions, and when I came across this recipe for Beef and Sausage Meatballs in Tomato Sauce recently I decided it really needed a facelift. Truthfully, when I first started blogging, it never occurred to me that people would be finding my earliest things years later, that’s how clueless I was about the internet.
The recipe was adapted from Old Fashioned Meatballs I found on Epicurious.com, and even though I jazzed it up a little, truly it’s one of the more family-friendly recipes on my blog. The meatballs and sauce cook together in the oven, which means that the ground beef and Italian sausage flavors the basic red sauce. If you’re cooking for a family, this is something most kids will like, it’s South Beach Diet friendly if you use Turkey Sausage, lean ground beef, and 100% whole wheat bread crumbs, and you could replace the small amount of breadcrumbs with a low-carb binder if you want a version that’s even lower in carbs.
Use a tablespoon to measure the meat so you can make uniformly-sized meatballs to insure they cook evenly. You need a pan or casserole dish large enough that the meatballs will not be completely submerged in sauce. Serve with some Parmesan sprinkled on top, for an easy dinner the whole family will enjoy!
More Tasty Ideas for Meatballs:
Low-Carb Baked Greek Meatballs with Feta and Oregano
Baked Swedish Meatballs
Low-Carb Grilled Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs
Grilled Sriracha-Sesame Turkey Meatballs
Low-Carb Turkey Meatballs with Romano and Herbs
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Beef and Sausage Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Beef and Sausage Meatballs in Tomato Sauce are delicious and kid-friendly, everyone will love them!
- 1 pound ground beef, 15% fat or less
- 3 links hot Turkey Italian Sausage, about 12 oz. (squeeze out of casings)
- 1/3 cup 100% whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 T flax seed meal (optional, but good)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. minced garlic,
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese,
- salt-pepper to taste
- Additional Parmesan for sprinkling over meatballs
- 2 cans diced tomatoes. pureed with food processor or immersion blender
- 1 T minced garlic (or less, I used garlic puree in a jar)
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
(can substitute 1 T Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle for the oregano and basil)
- salt to taste
- Remove ground beef and sausage from refrigerator, squeeze sausage out of casing and let meats come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Put breadcrumbs (and flax seed meal if using) in large bowl and add 1/3 cup very hot water.
- Let sit a few minutes until water is absorbed, then add eggs, teaspoon of garlic, grated Parmesan, and salt and pepper.
- Add ground beef and sausage to mixture, then use your hands to combine breadcrumb mixture with meat.
- Spray glass casserole dish or roasting pan with nonstick spray, then use a tablespoon to measure out meatballs, rolling them in your hands to make them round.
- Arrange meatballs so there is a small space between each meatball.
- Use a food processor or immersion blender to puree canned tomatoes.
- Put tomatoes in bowl (I used Muir Glen fire roasted organic tomatoes) and add minced garlic, herbs, and salt (I used McCormick’s Mediterranean Sea Salt which I received as a sample, and it was great in this).
- Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Sprinkle rest of Parmesan cheese over.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until firm and bubbling.
- Serve hot, with additional Parmesan sprinkled on top.
You can substitute 1 T Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle for the oregano and basil.
Recipe adapted slightly from Old Fashioned Meatballs at Epicurious.com.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Beef and Sausage Meatballs in Tomato Sauce a great dish for low-glycemic diets or for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet. You could replace the small amount of breadcrumbs with a low-carb binder for a version that’s even lower in carbs.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.