Baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken (Video)
This Baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken is my version of a low-carb baked chicken dish that’s been popular all over the internet! And if you like the idea of chicken topped with creamy mayo and delicious Parmesan cheese, I bet this is a chicken dinner you’ll make over and over.
A few years ago I discovered the inspiring recipe for this Baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken in a Facebook group where people share recipes, and this is chicken recipe that really caught my eye. I loved the idea of using mayonnaise as an ingredient to keep chicken moist in the oven, so I printed the recipe, and then as I always do I tried to find the original source.
What I did end up finding was variations of Mayo Parmesan Chicken with rave reviews all over the internet, some with no attribution at all, but many attributed to another website or blog in an endless loop of internet recipe posting that didn’t seem to start in any particular place! (If anyone sees a site that claims to be the original source, I would love to credit them!)
When I worked on adapting the recipe with Kara, we absolutely loved the version we came up with. We did tweak it to use slightly less mayo and Parmesan and added a little poultry seasoning, but the idea was essentially the same.
And now I’ve made this baked chicken crusted with mayo and Parmesan over and over and I understand why the recipe has been shared far and wide on the internet! I’m featuring it today as my Friday Favorites pick for this week, and I hope this reminder will encourage you make this for an easy dinner some time soon!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Parmesan cheese (For best results, use coarsely-shredded Parmesan or grate your own.)
- Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link)
- Garlic Powder (affiliate link)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
What makes my Baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken recipe extra tasty?
As I mentioned, there are versions of this recipe all over the web. But my version pounds the chicken breasts for more even cooking, and I use poultry seasoning and garlic powder in the topping for some added flavors! That’s why I think my recipe is the internet’s best version of this classic dish!
How did I make sure this is a low-carb dish?
Some versions of this recipe use breadcrumbs in the topping, but trust me when I say no breadcrumbs are needed for this tasty chicken recipe!
Want another idea for the Mayo Parmesan topping?
After I shared this Mayo Parmesan Chicken recipe, it didn’t take long before people started telling me how much they loved the Mayo Parmesan topping on fish! And I eventually decided that idea needed to be a separate recipe, and now Baked Mayo Parmesan Fish is also hugely popular on the site too!
Steps for making Baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Trim the chicken, removing pieces of fat or ragged edges. I had two breasts that were extra-large, so I cut them in half and made 6 pieces.
- Pound chicken just enough to make each piece an even thickness (or use chicken cutlets and skip this step).
- I used my trick from Juicy Grilled Chicken Breasts and cut small slits crosswise in the chicken.
- Then mix the mayo, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper and stir in the Parmesan.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer. (Choose the smallest dish that fits all the chicken.)
- Use a rubber scraper (affiliate link) to spread a layer of the mayo mixture over each piece of chicken.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is firm and cooked through and the mayo-parmesan topping is nicely browned.
- Serve hot, and wait for compliments!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This would be great with a low-carb side dish like Lemony Green Beans, Instant Pot Green Beans with Bacon and Gorgonzola, or Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese for a low-carb meal.
More Tasty Ideas for Chicken:
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake
- Roasted Lemon Chicken and Green Beans Sheet Pan Meal
- White Barbecue Sauce Chicken
Weekend Food Prep:
This Baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken recipe is even great when it’s re-heated so the recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 6 T coarsely-grated Parmesan (For best results, use coarsely-shredded Parmesan or grate your own.)
- 3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray, choosing a dish just large enough to hold the chicken.
- Trim chicken breasts well, cutting larger ones in half if desired.
- Put each piece of trimmed chicken inside a small Ziploc bag and pound with a meat mallet (affiliate link) (or something heavy), just until the chicken is an even thickness, about 1/2 inch thick. (Don't pound too hard or too long or the chicken breasts will start to shred apart.) Then cut small shallow crosswise slits going down each chicken breast, being careful not to cut through.
- Mix the mayo, poultry seasoning (affiliate link), garlic powder (affiliate link), and black pepper, then stir in the coarsely grated Parmesan.
- Put chicken breasts into the baking dish and use a rubber scraper (affiliate link) to spread the mayo-parmesan coating over the top of each chicken breast, covering the entire surface.
- Bake chicken 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is firm and the top is nicely browned. (There will be some liquid and congealed cheese in the bottom of the baking dish, but just ignore it and move the chicken breasts to a serving platter. Several other places where I spotted similar recipes also mentioned this, so I'm not sure if there is a way to avoid it.)
- Serve hot, and wait for compliments!
I saw variations on this Baked Mayo-Parmesan Chicken all over the internet and experimented with Kara to come up with my version you see in this recipe. If anyone knows the original source of the recipe, I would love to credit them!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 27g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This tasty Baked Mayo Parmesan Chicken is great for low-carb diet plans, including Keto, and it’s also a low-glycemic dish. For the original South Beach Diet, light mayo would definitely be recommended and the amount of Parmesan would probably make this an occasional treat for South Beach Dieters.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Oven Dinners to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2017 and it’s been hugely popular on the site. It was last updated with more information in 2023.