Internet’s Best Low-Carb Baked Mayo-Parmesan Chicken (VIDEO)
I saw variations of this Low-Carb Baked Mayo-Parmesan Chicken with rave reviews all over the internet, so here’s my version of this dish that the internet feels is the best baked chicken! And this tasty chicken is also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and can be South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Recipes-by-Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
In case you missed my welcome to 2017 post about how I want my blog to work for people who follow different types of carb-conscious diets, one thing I mentioned is that the South Beach Diet was sold to a company that sells pre-packaged meals. But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t plenty of South Beach Diet fans still around, and recently I discovered two very active Facebook groups for South Beach Diet friendly recipes and South Beach Diet Support.
And it was in one of those groups where someone shared a chicken recipe in a comment that really caught my eye. Of course if you know me at all you could guess it was partly the use of mayonnaise as an ingredient to keep chicken moist in the oven that appealed to me. I highlighted and printed the recipe that was shared there, and then as I always do, I tried to find the original source.
What I did end up finding was variations of this recipe with rave reviews all over the internet, some with no attribution at all, but many attributed to another website or blog in an endless loop of internet recipe posting that didn’t seem to start in any particular place! Or if there was a starting place, I never did find it. But when I tried out the recipe with Kara, we absolutely loved the Internet’s Best Low-Carb Baked Mayo-Parmesan Chicken we came up with. We did tweak it to use slightly less mayo and Parmesan and add a little poultry seasoning, but the idea was essentially the same. And we could definitely understand why the recipe has been shared far and wide on the internet!
And although I thought briefly about making it again to get better photos, I decided everyone who’s been faithfully avoiding carbs for the first week of January deserves an easy dinner that’s really a treat. Trust me when I say that this chicken is fully deserving of the title Internet’s Best, and don’t wait too long to make it! (And if anyone sees a site that claims to be the original source, I would love to credit them!)
Trim the chicken, removing pieces of fat or ragged edges. I had two breasts that were extra-large, so I cut them in half and made 6 pieces. Pound chicken just enough to make each piece an even thickness. I used my trick from Juicy Grilled Chicken Breasts and cut small slits crosswise in the chicken. Then mix the mayo, poultry seasoning, garlic powder and pepper and stir in the Parmesan.
Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer. (Choose the smallest dish you can use that fits all the chicken.) Use a rubber scraper to spread a layer of the mayo mixture over each piece of chicken. Bake in a preheated 375F/190C oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is firm and cooked through and the mayo-parmesan topping is nicely browned.
Serve hot, with a low-carb side dish like Lemony Green Beans or Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese for a low-carb meal.
Internet's Best Low-Carb Baked Mayo-Parmesan Chicken
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray, choosing a dish just large enough to hold the chicken.
- Trim chicken breasts well, cutting larger ones in half if desired. Put each piece of trimmed chicken inside a small Ziploc bag and pound with a meat mallet (or something heavy), just until the chicken is an even thickness, about 1/2 inch thick. (Don’t pound too hard or too long or the chicken breasts will start to shred apart.) Then cut small shallow crosswise slits going down each chicken breast, being careful not to cut through.
- Mix the mayo, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper, then stir in the coarsely grated Parmesan. Put chicken breasts into the baking dish and use a rubber scraper to spread the mayo-parmesan coating over the top of each chicken breast, covering the entire surface.
- Bake chicken 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is firm and the top is nicely browned. (There will be some liquid and congealed cheese in the bottom of the baking dish, but just ignore it and move the chicken breasts to a serving platter. Several other places where I spotted similar recipes also mentioned this, so I’m not sure if there is a way to avoid it.)
- Serve hot, and wait for compliments!
I saw variations on this Baked Mayo-Parmesan Chicken all over the internet and experimented with Kara to come up with my version you see in this recipe. If anyone knows the original source of the recipe, I would love to credit them!All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe is great for low-carb diet plans, including Keto, and it’s also a low-glycemic dish. For the South Beach Diet, light mayo would definitely be recommended and the amount of Parmesan would probably make is an occasional treat for South Beach Dieters.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.
More Tasty Ideas for Chicken:
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes Photo-Index Page ~ Slow Cooker from Scratch
Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
65 Best Low-Carb Chicken Recipes ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Roasted Lemon Chicken and Green Beans Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen