Slow Cooker Low-Carb Bavarian Pork Sirloin Tip Roast
Slow Cooker Low-Carb Bavarian Pork Sirloin Tip Roast cooks in the slow cooker and is served with Sour Cream Gravy for a tasty low-carb dinner. Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Even though I’ve been adding photos and re-doing posts on the blog for years now, there are still a few recipes hanging out in the archives without a photo, and when I spotted this Slow Cooker Low-Carb Bavarian Pork Sirloin Tip Roast recently, I remembered how good it had been and added pork roast to my shopping list.
This would make a perfect low-carb dinner, maybe served with something like Twice-Baked Cauliflower or Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese and a nice green salad. The ingredient that makes this a Bavarian Pork Roast is the use of caraway seeds, and if you’re not sure how much you like that flavor (or you’re cooking for kids), you might want to reduce the amount of this strongly-flavored spice.
How to Make Slow Cooker Low-Carb Bavarian Pork Sirloin Tip Roast:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- I’d been seeing these inexpensive and very lean pork sirloin tip roasts at Costco and I decided they would be perfect to make this Slow Cooker Bavarian Pork Sirloin Tip Roast with Sour Cream Gravy. Because this cut is so lean, I knew it would need extra time in the slow cooker to make the meat tender.
- I used a mortar and pestle to grind the caraway seeds, dried marjoram, Penzey’s Pork Chop Seasoning (affiliate link), salt, and pepper to make a spice mix to rub on the meat.
- Rub the pork roast all over with the spice mix.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy pan and brown the roast on all sides until it’s well-browned. (Don’t rush this step; the browning adds a lot of flavor.)
- Deglaze the frying pan with the water, mix in the vinegar and pour over the roast.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours. If you’re home I would turn the meat a few times to keep the surface moist. Test the meat with a fork to see if it’s tender before you take it out of the slow cooker.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker, keeping it warm, and strain the liquid into a pan. Simmer 10-15 minutes to reduce and make the flavor stronger. Then mix the cornstarch with a little water and whisk in sour cream. Whisk this into the barely bubbling liquid and simmer until it’s slightly thickened. (The sauce will be thin because we’re using the tiniest bit of cornstarch here.)
- Cut the roast against the grain into slices as thick as you’d like and serve hot, with the sauce drizzled over.
- Serve hot, with some of the gravy spooned over the meat!
More Low-Carb Recipes for Pork:
Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream
Pork Chops with Balsamic Glaze
Slow Cooker Pork Sirloin Roast with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Crockpot Salsa Pork Chops with Cumin, Garlic, and Lime
“Breaded” Pork Chops with Mustard Cream Sauce
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 1/2 pounds pork sirloin tip roast, visible fat trimmed
- 1-2 tsp. whole caraway seeds (see notes)
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1 tsp. Penzeys Pork Chop Seasoning (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. salt or Vege-Sal
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 2 tsp. cornstarch for thickening
- Trim all visible fat from the roast.
- Put caraway seeds, marjoram, Penzey's Pork Chop Seasoning (affiliate link), salt or Vege-Sal (affiliate link) and pepper into mortar (or small ziploc bag) and pound with pestle (or flat side of meat mallet) until caraway seeds are crushed.
- Rub spice mixture all over both sides of meat.
- Heat olive oil in nonstick frying pan, add roast and brown very well on all sides. Don’t rush this step; it will take at least 10 minutes to brown the roast thoroughly.
- Place roast in crockpot, then deglaze pan with the water, scraping all brown bits from bottom of the frying pan.
- Add vinegar to water and pour over roast.
- Cook roast in crock pot 4-5 hours on high or all day (8-10 hours) on low. If you’re home, turn the roast a few times so the surface stays moist.
- When it pierces easily with a fork, remove roast from slow cooker and keep warm.
- Strain liquid from the slow cooker into a small saucepan, bring to a low simmer, and cook 10-15 minutes to reduce and intensify the flavors.
- Turn heat to very low.
- Mix the cornstarch and water with the sour cream, whisk into the liquid and cook until gravy is slightly thickened and starting to bubble. (Gravy will be thin.)
- Slice meat and pour gravy over.
You can also use 1/2-1 tsp. ground caraway; this is a strong flavor so use less or omit if you're not sure how much you like caraway. Pork Chop Seasoning is optional, but recommended; pork chop seasoning has salt, hickory smoke, garlic, onion, white pepper and ginger if you want to make your own. I used a Crock-Pot 2.5-Quart Slow Cooker, but use the smallest size you can that will hold the pork roast. Recipe adapted slightly from Better Homes and Gardens.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 6g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 182mg Sodium: 352mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 60g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach DietSuggestions:
I reduced the amount of cornstarch in this Slow Cooker Bavarian Pork Sirloin Tip Roast so the amount per serving is very minimal, but if you want to skip the cornstarch and have the gravy be thinner, that would make the recipe even lower in carbs. Personally I would eat this for any phase of the South Beach Diet or for a low-carb eating plan as well. South Beach would recommend low-fat sour cream, other low-carb plans would prefer full-fat sour cream.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type index page to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click to see Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!