Alice Springs Chicken Casserole
Alice Springs Chicken from Outback Steakhouse inspired my brother-in-law Kelly to create Alice Springs Chicken Casserole and I used low-carb Alfredo Sauce to make it a low-carb dinner option for the blog! Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
At Outback Steak House there’s a dish called Alice Springs Chicken, made of chicken breasts topped with bacon, mushrooms, cheese and a creamy sauce. My brother-in-law Kelly re-created it at home years ago, and I used his version as the inspiration for this Low-Carb Alice Springs Chicken Casserole in the early days of my blog.
Through the years ago I’ve made this a few times and always enjoyed it, but it was the discovery of the low-carb Rao’s Pasta Sauce (affiliate link) with an Alfredo Sauce with only 2 carbs in one-fourth cup that gave me the urge to update this recipe with new photos for the blog.
If bottled Alfredo sauce is a deal-breaker for you, I think it would be fun to try this with my friend Kim’s Creamy Low-Carb Alfredo Sauce or Creamy Cauliflower Sauce, and any of the options I’ve given for a low-carb sauce would also make this recipe gluten-free.
Steps for making Alice Springs Chicken Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray casserole dish with nonstick spray or olive oil. (I used a dish that was 9″ x 12″ but it could have been a bit smaller.)
- Trim four large chicken breasts and rub with the dried herbs.
- Heat 2 tsp. of the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and barely brown the chicken, just 3-4 minutes per side. (It will cook more in the casserole dish.)
- Remove chicken to cutting board and let it cool. When it’s cool enough to handle, cut the chicken lengthwise into thick strips and and layer in the bottom of casserole dish.
- While the chicken cooks, wash mushrooms if needed, thickly slice, add one more teaspoon oil to the pan and cook until the mushrooms are lightly browned. Layer the mushrooms over the chicken in the casserole dish.
- Cut ham into cubes, and add the last teaspoon of olive oil and saute the ham in the same frying pan until it’s slightly browned to bring out the flavor. Layer browned ham over the mushrooms.
- Mix sour cream and grated Parmesan with the Alfredo Sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, mushrooms, and ham.
- Sprinkle with grated Mozzarella and Monterey Jack Cheese, or any white cheese you prefer.
- Bake about 20 minutes covered, or until the cheese is mostly melted.
- Uncover and bake about 20 minutes more, or until the top is nicely browned. Serve hot.
Make it a Meal:
This would be great with low-carb side dishes like Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese or Easy Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Green Onion.
More Tasty Casseroles to Try:
My Favorite Low-Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The Keto Casseroles You’ve Been Looking For ~ Huffington Post
Low-Carb Deconstructed Pizza Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
101 Best Low-Carb and Keto Casserole Recipes ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
If you can't find Rao's Pasta Sauce (affiliate link), check labels to find the lowest-carb Alfredo sauce you can find. If you want to make your own low-carb sauce you could try Creamy Low-Carb Alfredo Sauce or Creamy Cauliflower Sauce for this recipe. Recipe inspired by a version of Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken created by my brother-in-law Kelly.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 19gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 970mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g
If you can't find Rao's Pasta Sauce (affiliate link), check labels to find the lowest-carb Alfredo sauce you can find. If you want to make your own low-carb sauce you could try Creamy Low-Carb Alfredo Sauce or Creamy Cauliflower Sauce for this recipe.
Recipe inspired by a version of Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken created by my brother-in-law Kelly.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Check the carb count on the Alfredo Sauce if you’re following any type of low-carb diet, or use Creamy Low-Carb Alfredo Sauce or Creamy Cauliflower Sauce to make your own sauce. Even if you use the low-carb Alfredo sauce I recommend or one of those sauces, reduced-fat cheese, and lean ham, this is probably an occasional treat for the South Beach Diet, due to the amount of fat.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.