Kalyn’s Herb Blend
Kalyn’s Herb Blend is something I love to mix up and give for a homemade food gift, and this has been a big hit with a lot of my family and friends!
This recipe for Kalyn’s Herb Blend was originally part of a series of three posts about gifts from the kitchen. For that series I shared this recipe along with my way of making Rosemary Salt and Chicken Seasoning Rub. You can check out Spice Blends to Make for a Homemade Food Gift to see all the spice blends I’ve enjoyed.
This recipe is something I started making about ten years ago, inspired by the recipe for the American Heart Association Herb Seasoning, a great salt-free blend. I make this a little differently every time now, depending on what I have on hand and what new herbs I’ve become fond of. I’ve been giving this away for Christmas for years, and I’ve had people use it all and ask if they can buy more! This is a good all purpose seasoning blend for people who cook a little, but who aren’t likely to have a cupboard full of different herbs and spices. This recipe is my latest version, and now that I’m posting the recipe people can make their own after they’ve used it up.
What Herbs and Spices do you need for Kalyn’s Herb Blend?
From having made this for years, I’d say the essentials are the garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, parsley, savory, and pepper. You can add or subtract other herbs as desired. Create your own blend based on your favorites, and then name it after yourself and give it away for Christmas; I promise your friends will be very impressed.
How to make my favorite herb blend:
1. Those of you who have seen my spice rack loaded down with bottles might have forgotten that I also have a big drawer full of spices from various places. This blend is a good way to use leftover spices that you have around. Just measure out the spices and herbs and mix together! (Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
2. You can give the herb blend away in jars or in small plastic bags. This year I have a lot of people to give them to, so I opted for bags, with a Kalyn’s Kitchen card stapled on.
Suggested uses for this herb blend:
- This herb blend adds great depth of flavor to meat-based soups, stews, pasta sauces, or casseroles.
- It’s excellent in meatloaf or to season ground beef when browning.
- Mix with olive oil and toss with vegetables before roasting.
- Add a small amount to any marinade or sauce for chicken, pork, or beef, or add to flour to use for dredging meat.
- Use a small amount to season gravy or stock.
- 1 1/2 cups garlic powder
- 3/4 cup onion powder
- 1/2 cup dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dried basil
- 1/2 cup dried parsley
- 1/4 cup ground savory
- 1/4 cup rubbed sage
- 1/4 cup white pepper
- 1/4 cup celery seed
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- Put all herbs in to food processor fitted with steel blade.
- Pulse about 30 seconds, until herbs are well combined.
- Store in glass jar with tight lid.
This recipe was originally adapted from the American Heart Association Herb Seasoning, and for myself I rarely make it exactly the same way twice.