Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili (Video)
Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is amazing, and this will be a winner for anyone who loves savory sweet potato recipes! And this tasty low-glycemic Paleo chili is also Whole 30, gluten-free, dairy-free, and South Beach Diet Phase Two! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Paleo
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili!
I never liked sweet potatoes until I became a food blogger and discovered savory sweet potato recipes. Now I love things like Spicy Sweet Potato Fries, Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes, and Sweet Potato Gratin, and I always have sweet potatoes in the pantry at my house. One day I was brainstorming recipe ideas with my niece Kara, and she remembered seeing a recipe that used sweet potatoes in chili. We both loved that idea, which led to the Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili you see here. We experimented with ingredients and loved the slightly-spicy turkey chili we came up with.
Later when I edited the photos of our Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili, I googled my proposed recipe title and realized there were quite a few recipes out there for chili with sweet potatoes! Luckily it seems like every blogger has a slightly different take on this combination; check after my recipe to see some other blogs that like the idea of sweet potatoes with chili as much as we did!
This chili is easy enough to make on a work night, although it benefits from an hour of simmering once you’ve added all the ingredients. Brown the turkey and put in the soup pot; then saute the chopped green pepper, chopped onion, and spices in the same pan. Put that mixture in the soup pot along with the petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, canned green chiles, and Green Tabasco. Start to simmer the chili on low while you chop up the sweet potato. Add sweet potato to the chili and simmer on low for an hour, adding a little water if it gets too thick.
Season Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili to taste with Green Tabasco Sauce, salt, and pepper; then serve hot and enjoy! And if you’re not Paleo this is amazing with a squeeze of sour cream on top.
More Tasty Recipes for Chili:
10 Amazing Low-Carb Chili Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Chili Recipes Photo Index Page ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Low-Carb Ground Beef Olive Lover’s Chili ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
This Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is amazing, and this will be a winner for anyone who loves savory sweet potato recipes!
- 2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 small green pepper, seeds and stem removed and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 T Spike Seasoning (optional, but recommended. If you don’t consider Spike to be Paleo, substitute any approved all-purpose seasoning blend.)
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground Ancho Chiles (or use more regular chili powder if you don’t have Ancho)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) diced green chiles with juice (Anaheim chiles, not jalapenos)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 cups homemade beef stock (or use beef or chicken broth from a can or carton if you don’t have homemade)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into cubes (about 1 lb. diced sweet potato cubes)
- 1 T Green Tabasco Sauce (or more, to taste)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a heavy frying pan, add ground turkey, and cook over medium-high heat until the turkey is well-browned and all liquid has evaporated. (I like to break it apart with an old-fashioned potato masher as the meat cooks.)
- Put the browned turkey into a medium-sized soup pot.
- Add the other teaspoon of olive oil to the frying pan, add the chopped green pepper and chopped onion, and saute about 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic, Spike Seasoning (if using), chili powder, Ancho chile powder, and ground cumin and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pepper-onion-spices mixture to the soup pot, rinsing out the pan with a little water.
- Then add the diced green chiles with juice, petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and homemade beef or chicken stock to the soup pot and start to simmer the chili on low.
- While the chili simmers, peel the sweet potatoes and dice into pieces about 3/4 – 1 inches square.
- Add sweet potatoes to the chili and simmer about an hour, adding a little water if it gets too thick.
- Taste for seasoning and add Green Tabasco Sauce, salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
This will keep in the fridge for about a week or can be frozen.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Kara.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If made with lean ground turkey, this Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Chili would be approved for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet and is also Paleo. Chili with sweet potatoes is probably too high in carbs for traditional low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.