Raw Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and Feta
This Raw Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and Feta is a delicious salad to make with fresh young summer squash and zucchini! You can use baby spinach if you’re not a fan of arugula.
This Raw Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and Feta was an experiment that turned out to be a success, and now I’m sure I’ll make this every year when zucchini is abundant and the weather is too hot to cook. I’ve been experimenting with new ways to use squash, something I have fun with every summer.
After I was wowed by the Zucchini Carpaccio, I started wondering about a variation of that salad with yellow squash, and this combination with arugula and herbs is the happy result. I actually used The Flavor Bible (affiliate link; great book!) for ideas of what herbs would pair with arugula and ended up going with basil, but I think fresh mint or parsley would also be heavenly in this raw summer squash salad.
And if you’ve never had raw summer squash, please try it! You’ll be surprised how tasty it is!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- fresh squeezed lemon juice
- good quality extra virgin Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- zested skin from one whole lemon (zest the lemon first and then squeeze the juice)
- yellow or green summer squash
- baby arugula leaves
- sliced or chopped fresh herbs (see notes)
- crumbled Feta cheese
What if you’re not a fan of arugula?
You can use baby spinach for a milder version of the summer squash salad if you’re not a fan of arugula.
What if you don’t want Feta Cheese in the Summer Squash Salad?
This salad would be delicious with crumbled goat cheese or coarsely-grated Parmesan cheese if you’re not a fan of Feta.
What fresh herbs can you use for the Summer Squash Salad?
I loved this salad with a generous amount of chopped fresh basil but mint or parsley would also be delicious in this.
How to Make Raw Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and Feta:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Start by zesting all the skin from one lemon, then whisk together with 3 T lemon juice and 4 T good quality olive oil.
- I used two yellow squash for plenty of yellow color, but any combination of yellow and green summer squash could be used. (I’d definitely go for a mix of yellow and green if you have them though!)
- Cut the ends off the squash, wash and dry the skin, cut the squash in half lengthwise, then slice into thin half-moon shapes. I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate link) on 1.5 mm thickness but you could definitely cut thin slices with a chef’s knife too.
- Arrange the slices in a flat dish and drizzle over about 2/3 of the dressing mixture, along with some salt and fresh ground black pepper. I’d let that marinate 15-30 minutes.
- While the squash is marinating, wash and dry the baby arugula. I usually pinch off the larger stems, but you don’t have to do that unless you’re taking a photo of the salad!
- This next photo shows a mini salad spinner, but I used a generous amount of basil leaves for the salad. I’d aim for at least 1/2 cup sliced or chopped fresh herbs, no matter which herb you’re using.
- I used a cutting technique called chiffonade, where you pile up the basil leaves in a tower and then cut into thin strips. If I used mint or parsley, I’d just go for a coarse chop.
- After the squash has marinated, put the arugula and herbs into a bowl, then gently mix in the marinated squash pieces. Check to see if you want more dressing, and add as desired. (I like my salads rather wet, so I used most of the dressing.)
- Arrange salad on individual serving plates and sprinkle about 2 T crumbled feta over each. Enjoy!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and Feta would taste great with Greek Pork Chops, Grilled Cod with Garlic, Basil, and Lemon, Chicken Souvlaki, Very Greek Grilled Chicken, or Grilled Salmon Burgers with Caper Mayonnaise for a low-carb meal.
More Low-Carb Ideas for Zucchini or Summer Squash:
- 50 Amazing Zucchini Recipes
- The Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes
- Low-Carb and Keto Grilled Zucchini Recipes
- Amazing Salads with Zucchini
- Keto Recipes with Zucchini Noodles
- Low-Carb and Keto Zucchini Noodle Soups
- Recipes for Extra Large Zucchini
- 3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (or a bit less, see notes)
- 4 T good quality extra virgin olive oil
- zested skin from one whole lemon (or a bit less)
- 3 medium sized yellow or green summer squash (see notes)
- 5 oz. baby arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced or chopped fresh herbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Zest the lemon and place the zest in a bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Squeeze the juice from the zested lemon, then add more juice as needed to make 3 T lemon juice. (I’m a big lemon fan, so if you’re not that crazy about lemon 2 T might be enough for you.)
- Add lemon juice to the zest, then whisk in the olive oil.
- Cut off the ends of squash, then wash and dry.
- Cut lengthwise, then use a v or chef’s knife to cut into very thin slices. (I used the 1.5 mm blade on the mandoline.)
- Layer the sliced squash into a flat dish and pour over about 2/3 of the dressing
- Season with a generous amount of salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Let squash marinate 15-30 minutes while you prep other ingredients.
- Wash baby arugula leaves and spin dry or dry with paper towels. (I pinch off the big stems, but this is optional unless you’re taking photos!)
- Wash herbs of your choice and spin dry or dry with paper towels.
- Then either slice or coarsely chop herbs.
- Combine arugula and herbs in bowl large enough to hold all the salad.
- Add marinated squash slices, toss to combine, and taste to see if you want to add more dressing, salt, or fresh ground black pepper. (I added a bit more dressing.)
- Arrange salad on individual salad plates, sprinkle each with 2 T crumbled feta cheese, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Everything about this Summer Squash Salad Recipe is perfect for low-carb or Keto diets or for any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes or Salads to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2009. It was last updated with more information in 2021.
Dedicated to Barbara Harris:
On June 30, 2012 the food blogging world lost our beloved and courageous Barbara from Winos and Foodies. Barbara was a beautiful person who touched many lives through her blog and her thoughtful comments. She started blogging as a way to stay connected to the world while undergoing chemo, and put up a valiant fight against the cancer that finally took her life. Barbara organized yearly events around the theme of yellow foods to raise money for cancer research. Rest in peace Barbara; your lovely spirit is greatly missed.