Low-Carb Egg Muffins with Ham, Cheese, and Green Bell Pepper
I love having Low-Carb Ham, Cheese, and Green Bell Pepper Egg Muffins in the fridge for a quick and tasty grab-and-go breakfast! Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
When it’s January, lots of people start making my Grab-and-Go Egg Muffins for an easy low-carb breakfast. You can see recipes for this type of egg dish all over the web now, but I first made them in 2005 and came up with the name Egg Muffins as a variation of something I saw in one of the South Beach Diet books.
My basic recipe for egg muffins has infinite variations, so I haven’t posted too many individual recipes for the basic egg muffins, but I have shared a few recipes for combinations I make over and over like these Egg Muffins with Ham, Cheese, and Green Bell Pepper. I love the little bits of tender-crisp bell pepper in these, but you can use red pepper or another vegetable if you’re not a green pepper fan.
For years I’ve had both large and small silicone baking cups (affiliate link) but a few weeks ago I bought these colorful Chambers Bay Baking Company silicone baking cups (affiliate link), which are a middle size that I really like; Chambers Bay calls this size “Jumbo size”. (My small cups measure 2.5 inches across and hold 1/3 cup, the new medium size cups measure 3.5 inches across and hold 2/3 cup and the large size are 3.75 inches across and deeper and hold 1 cup.)
Naturally I had to try out the new cups, so I decided to update the photos for this favorite recipe with the new size cup. (You can also still find a link to the original recipe for small baking cups down in the recipe; click that printer-friendly link to get the recipe if you have the small size.)
How to Make Low-Carb Egg Muffins with Ham, Cheese, and Green Bell Pepper:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Finely chop the green pepper, chop the ham, and slice the green onions.
- Beat eggs well to combine.
- Put the muffin cups (affiliate link) on a baking sheet and spray muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- Fill each cup with some of the finely diced green pepper, diced ham, sliced green onion, and cheese.
- Then pour in egg, let it settle down, and fill with egg again, until the egg is almost to the top of the baking cups.
- I like to take a fork and gently “stir” so ingredients are well combined.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the top of the egg muffins are browned to your liking.
Egg muffins will keep at least a week in the fridge and can be reheated quickly in the microwave for a perfect easy breakfast. When I have a batch of these in the fridge I feel like I’ve got breakfast handled for a few days; enjoy!
More Tasty Low-Carb Egg Muffins:
Basic Recipe for Egg Muffins ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Egg and Cheese Breakfast Muffins with Mushrooms and Thyme from The Perfect Pantry
Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 cups finely diced ham
- 1 1/3 cups finely grated Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and stem cut away and finely diced
- 3 thinly sliced green onions (optional, but recommended)
- 15 eggs, beaten well
- 2 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use any seasoning blend that is good with eggs)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Spray silicone baking cups (affiliate link) with nonstick spray.
- Dice ham and green pepper and slice green onions.
- In the bottom of the the baking cups layer the ham, green pepper, green onions and cheese, dividing each equally among the 12 baking cups.
- Break eggs into a bowl or large measuring cup that has a pour spout, then beat eggs and Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) with a fork until they are well combined.
- Pour eggs over the other ingredients until the muffin cups are nearly full, but not quite reaching the top. (I pour some egg in each cup, let it settle, and then pour more until the cup is nearly full.)
- Take a small fork and gently “stir” to distribute the ingredients in the egg mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set and starting to brown slightly. (The last few years I’ve been liking them more browned, but if you don’t like them as brown as I do I would start checking after 22 minutes.)
- Egg muffins will keep well in the refrigerator for at least a week. I don't like them frozen as they release liquid when they thaw.
- To reheat, microwave 45-60 seconds. (Don’t cook too long in the microwave or they get rubbery.)
I used Chambers Bay Baking Company medium silicone baking cups for the medium-sized egg muffins in this recipe. If you have small sized silicone baking cups, use this version of the recipe. (links are affiliate links)
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 4g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 259mg Sodium: 603mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 16g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glyecmic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If made with lean ham and low-fat cheese, these Low-Carb Ham, Cheese, and Green Bell Pepper Egg Muffins would be approved for any phase of the South Beach Diet. They would also be a great choice for most other low-carb diet plans, many of which would prefer full-fat cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.