Cranberry Salsa Cream Cheese Holiday Appetizer
This Cranberry Salsa Cream Cheese Holiday Appetizer is perfect for any winter holiday party. Serve with low-carb tortilla chips, low-carb pita bread, jicama slices, or other dippers of your choice. Use Holiday Recipes for more recipes for holidays!
This Cranberry Salsa Cream Cheese Holiday Appetizer starts with Trina’s Low-Sugar Fresh Cranberry Salsa with Cilantro, Lime, and Jalapeno that I made for Thanksgiving. I loved the fresh cranberry salsa, and it’s gotten nothing but raves on the blog. So if you’re looking for a fun holiday appetizer that’s relatively healthy and about as easy as it gets, I highly recommend making cranberry salsa and then turning some of it into this fun cranberry cream cheese appetizer.
And you can freeze the salsa! Knowing it freezes well is just one more thing to love about Trina’s Low-Sugar Fresh Cranberry Salsa.
I used low-carb tortillas to make chips to serve with the Cranberry Salsa Cream Cheese Holiday Appetizer to keep it low in carbs. But this would also be delicious with my favorite low-carb pita bread.
If you want to make your own low-carb tortilla chips like I did, start with low carb tortillas, cut them into triangles, spray a baking sheet with olive oil and spread out the tortilla triangles, and bake in a 400F/200C oven for 4-5 minutes. Watch them carefully or you’ll get some that are a little too brown like I did!
To make the appetizer, spray a baking dish with olive oil, put a block of cream cheese in the dish and bake about 10 minutes, or just until it looks slightly melted, cover the cream cheese with Trina’s Low-Sugar Fresh Cranberry Salsa, and serve hot with dippers of your choice.
More Recipes for Healthier Holiday Appetizers:
Five Favorite Appetizers for Holiday Parties from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Shrimp Appetizer with Spicy Peanut Sauce from The Perfect Pantry
Ham and Dill Pickle Appetizer Bites from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Tamari Almonds from Andrea Meyers
Hummus and Cucumber Appetizer Bites with Sesame Seeds from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cranberry Salsa Cream Cheese Holiday Appetizer
This Cranberry Salsa Cream Cheese Holiday Appetizer is perfect for a holiday party.
- low-carb lavash or flour tortillas (if you’re making the tortilla chips)
- 8 oz. package reduced-fat cream cheese
- olive oil (for spraying baking sheet and dish)
- Trina’s Low-Sugar Fresh Cranberry Salsa with Cilantro, Lime, and Jalapeno (see notes)
- (You can also serve the dip with celery sticks or jicama slices)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray baking sheet and crockery baking dish with olive oil.
- Cut the lavash or tortilla chips into triangle shapes and arrange in a single layer on the sprayed baking sheet. (You may need two baking sheets.)
- Place unwrapped block of cream cheese in the baking dish.
- Place the baking sheets and cream cheese into the oven and cook just until the chips are firm and slightly browned and the cream cheese is starting to soften.
- This will take 4-5 minutes for the tortilla chips and about 10 minutes for the cream cheese, but watch carefully as the chips can get too browned pretty quickly. (If you’re not making the chips, you can also put the block of cream cheese into a microwave to soften on high for 3-4 minutes.)
- To serve, spoon a generous amount of Trina’s Low-Sugar Fresh Cranberry Salsa with Cilantro, Lime, and Jalapeno over the softened cream cheese and serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, celery sticks, or jicama slices to scoop up the dip.
This will go quickly so you might want to double the recipe. Kalyn’s version is adapted from ideas from several sources.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
To make this Cranberry Salsa Cream Cheese Holiday Appetizer suitable for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet, make the salsa with Stevia in the Raw sweetener, or your favorite low-carb sweetener and use celery, jicama for dippers or low-carb whole wheat pita or tortillas to make the chips. There are some carbs in the cranberries even when it’s made with a low-carb sweetener, so this would be a limited food for South Beach or other low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.