Caprese Salad with Kiwi
Caprese Salad with Kiwi is a fun twist on one of the most traditional summer salads, and fresh basil adds to the interesting flavors. If you’re a fan of kiwifruit, you’ll love this salad!
Caprese Salad (or Insalata Caprese) is one of those classic Italian summer dishes that I never get tired of eating when I have vine-ripened tomatoes from the garden and fresh mozzarella cheese in the fridge. I’m perfectly happy with a Caprese Salad with just the classic combination of red tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and some good olive oil, but it’s also fun to experiment with other ideas.
I loved this Caprese Salad with Kiwi that paired red and green tomatoes with some perfectly ripe Kiwifruit, a light drizzle of white balsamic vinaigrette, and lots of fresh basil chiffonade. I ate about half of this for lunch on the day I took these photos, and then about an hour later I ate the rest for a snack, but this would also make a beautiful first course for a dinner party.
How to Make Caprese Salad with Kiwi:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- You can use any color or variety of tomatoes, but to make a plate of Caprese Salad stacks like I did, you’ll need 8 tomato slices, close to the same size. I used red Celebrity tomatoes and Green Zebra Tomatoes from my garden.
- You also need 8 Kiwifruit slices, about 1/2 inch thick. (This was 2 kiwifruit.)
- If you can find the pre-sliced fresh mozzarella like I used, that will make the salad prep even easier. Make stacks with a slice of tomato, a slice of fresh mozzarella, and a slice of kiwifruit, and arrange on a serving dish.
- Whisk together olive oil and white balsamic vinegar (or use any light-colored vinegar that has a good flavor; I think Sherry vinegar would be a good substitute.)
- Slice up a generous amount of fresh basil leaves to make basil chiffonade. I would use my Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to make it easy to get those nice strips of basil.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the stacks of tomato, mozzarella, and kiwifruit, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste, and sprinkle the basil over.
- Buon appetito!
More Creative Ideas with Caprese Salad:
Green Goddess Tomato Mozzarella Stacks from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Caprese Salad with Basil Vinaigrette from Steamy Kitchen
Tomato, Olive, and Fresh Mozzarella Salad with Basil Vinaigrette from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Easy Dairy-Free Avocado Caprese Salad from Cook Eat Paleo
Grilled Zucchini Caprese Stacks with Basil Vinaigrette from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Want More Summer Tomato Salads?
Check out Ten Favorite Summer Tomato Salads (plus Honorable Mentions) for more amazing salad ideas for summer tomatoes!
- 8 slices of fresh vine-ripened tomato (I used a mixture of red and green tomatoes, but any good-flavored tomatoes will work)
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices about 3/8 inch thick
- generous handful of fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced into basil chiffonade
- 2 T good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T good-quality white balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar (or use any light colored vinegar with a good flavor)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (I used sea salt)
- Peel the kiwifruit, then slice the tomatoes, kiwifruit, and fresh mozzarella so you have 8 slices (or an equal number of each, depending on how many servings you want.)
- Arrange on serving platter in stacks with a slice of tomato, a slice of fresh mozzarella, and a slice of kiwifruit.
- Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar.
- Stack basil leaves up on top of each other, then thinly slice the basil to make basil chiffonade. Or if you have Herb Scissors (affiliate link) use those to cut strips of fresh basil.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over the stacks of tomato, mozzarella, and kiwifruit, then season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle with thinly sliced fresh basil chiffonade and serve immediately.
Recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from many Caprese salads she’s enjoyed through the years!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The addition of fruit makes this Caprese Salad with Red and Green Tomatoes and Kiwifruit Phase Two for the original South Beach Diet. And when I did the nutritional information I was pleasantly surprised that a small serving of this is not that high in carbs, so it might be a nice treat for a low-carb diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Tomato Recipes or Salad Recipes for more salads like this one.Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.