Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili (Stovetop or Instant Pot) Video
Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili can also be made with turkey, and this amazing chili is perfect any time you want a bowl of cheesy comforting chili! And this tasty chili recipe is gluten-free. Use Chile Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili!
My sister-in-law Amy gave me this recipe for Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili, and it’s been a huge hit on the blog. Recently I decided to update that recipe with Instant Pot instructions and better photos, and the white chicken chili was delicious when we used the Instant Pot to infuse flavor into the beans and the broth. So now there are two ways to make this delicious White Chicken Chili; take your pick and make it on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot!
But why am I sharing an updated recipe for White Chicken Chili right before Thanksgiving? Do you realize that almost any recipe that uses chunks of cooked chicken can also be made with leftover turkey? So if you’re lucky enough to end up with some leftover turkey the day after Thanksgiving, this recipe is an ultra delicious way to use it.
And Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili is such a favorite in my family; if you try the recipe I bet your family will love it too! The chili uses two cans of white beans (about 3 1/2 cups of cooked beans), but if you wanted to make it lower in carbs by using less beans and more chicken or turkey, I bet that would be delicious as well.
The other two recipes I’m considering for leftover turkey this year are Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Curry Casserole and Leftover Turkey (or Chicken) Casserole with Brown Rice, Mushrooms, Sour Cream, Cheese, and Thyme, both of which are hugely popular recipes and a wow for me personally. And if neither of those catches your fancy, I’ll also be updating my master list of Leftover Turkey Recipes sometime around Thanksgiving Day, and then I just might take most of the rest of the week off to enjoy the holiday. Hope everyone reading this gets to enjoy some time off as well!
How to make Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Heat the oil in the Instant Pot or in a soup pot over medium heat and saute the onion.
- Then add the minced garlic, ground cumin, ground oregano, cayenne pepper, and diced green chiles and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the chicken stock, 2 cans white beans (not drained), and a little chicken stock base.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot and cook at LOW PRESSURE for 20 minutes in the Instant Pot, or cook at a low simmer on the stove for 30 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot do NATURAL RELEASE for 5 minutes, then release the pressure the rest of the way.
- While the beans and broth mixture gets ultra-flavorful, trim the chicken and cut into lengthwise strips.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the chicken strips until they’re nicely browned.
- Let chicken cool and then shred it apart into chunks when it’s cool enough to handle. (If you’re substituting turkey, use about 4 cups chopped cooked turkey.)
- When the bean/broth mixture has finished cooking, add the cooked chicken or turkey and cook at a very low simmer for 10-15 minutes (stovetop or Instant Pot.) Do not boil once you’ve added the chicken or turkey; the poultry will shred apart if it’s boiled.
- Chop cilantro (if using) while the chili simmers.
- After 10 or 15 minutes, taste chili to see if you want to add salt, pepper, or even some Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link).
- Stir in cilantro and serve.
And as you can tell, I love Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili with a generous amount of melted cheese on top. Now the big question is, Instant Pot or Stovetop for this recipe? It’s really not much quicker to make this white chicken chili in the Instant Pot, but we did love the way pressure cooking the beans, spices, broth, and chiles on low pressure infused the broth and beans with flavor. Take your choice; it will be delicious either way you make it!
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Tasty Chili Recipes:
Pressure Cooker All Beef Ancho and Anaheim Chili ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Smoky Bacon Chili ~ Two Peas and Their Pod
Black Bean and Beef Chili with Cilantro, Lime, and Avocado Salsa ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Lentil and Quinoa Chili ~ Aggie’s Kitchen
Paleo Pumpkin Chili with Beef, Peppers, and Olives ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Chili Recipes Photo Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Two cans of broth is 3 1/2 cups, add another 1/2 cup for stovetop cooking. I'd definitely serve this with Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) for people who want a bit more heat! I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Amy Denny in 2010 and it's been a hit on my blog ever since that time; thanks Amy!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 547mg Carbohydrates: 19.5g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 12g Protein: 26g
Two cans of broth is 3 1/2 cups, add another 1/2 cup for stovetop cooking. I'd definitely serve this with Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) for people who want a bit more heat!
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Amy Denny in 2010 and it's been a hit on my blog ever since that time; thanks Amy!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili is a great main dish for any low-glycemic eating plan, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. Chili with beans is too high in carbs for most traditional low-carb diets, but you can use less beans and more chicken or turkey if you want to make this lower in carbs.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.