Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili (Video)
Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili can be made on the stove or in the Instant Pot, and it’s a perfect bowl of cheesy comforting chili!
My sister-in-law Amy gave me this recipe for Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili, and it’s been a huge hit on the blog. Recently I decided to update that recipe with Instant Pot instructions and better photos, and the white chicken chili was delicious when we used the Instant Pot to infuse flavor into the beans and the broth. So now there are two ways to make this delicious White Chicken Chili; take your pick and make it on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot!
And Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili is such a favorite in my family; if you try the recipe I bet your family will love it too! The chili uses two cans of white beans (about 3 1/2 cups of cooked beans), but if you wanted to make it lower in carbs by using less beans and more chicken or turkey, I’m sure that would be delicious as well.
Check out Healthy Chili Recipes Your Family Will Love! for more delicious chili recipes like this one.
Instant Pot or Stovetop for this recipe?
It’s really not much quicker to make this white chicken chili in the Instant Pot, but we did love the way pressure cooking the beans, spices, broth, and chiles on low pressure infused the broth and beans with flavor. Take your choice; it will be delicious either way you make it!
How to make Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili:
(Scroll down for complete recipe, including stovetop instructions and nutritional information.)
- Heat oil in in the Instant Pot on SAUTE, MEDIUM, then cook onions about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute more, then add ground cumin, oregano, ground cayenne pepper, and diced green chiles and cook a couple minutes more.
- Add chicken stock, 2 cans white beans, and chicken flavor base (if using).
- Lock lid on Instant Pot and set to MANUAL, LOW PRESSURE for 20 minutes.
- Then NATURAL RELEASE for 5 minutes and release the rest of the pressure with quick release.
- While bean/broth mixture cooks, trim fat and undesirable parts from chicken breasts and cut into 2 or 3 lengthwise strips.
- Heat oil in a heavy non-stick pan, add chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through and starting to brown.
- Remove from pan and let cool, then shred chicken apart into chunks.
- After pressure has released, add shredded chicken and cook using SAUTE, LOW for 10-15 minutes more.
- Chop cilantro (if using) while the chili simmers.
- After 10-15 minutes, taste chili to see if you want to add salt or pepper or Green Tabasco Sauce.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and serve hot, with grated cheese to add at the table if desired.
- And as you can tell, I love Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili with a generous amount of melted cheese on top.
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Tasty Chili Recipes:
Instant Pot All Beef Ancho and Anaheim Chili
Black Bean and Beef Chili with Avocado Salsa
Pumpkin Chili with Beef, Peppers, and Olives
Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker Chili Recipes Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure cooker
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Two cans of broth is 3 1/2 cups, add another 1/2 cup for stovetop cooking. I'd definitely serve this with Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) for people who want a bit more heat! I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Amy Denny in 2010 and it's been a hit on my blog ever since that time; thanks Amy! Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 19.5gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 26g
Two cans of broth is 3 1/2 cups, add another 1/2 cup for stovetop cooking. I'd definitely serve this with Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) for people who want a bit more heat!
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Amy Denny in 2010 and it's been a hit on my blog ever since that time; thanks Amy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Amy’s Amazing White Chicken Chili is a great main dish for any low-glycemic eating plan, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. Chili with beans is too high in carbs for most traditional low-carb diets, but you can use less beans and more chicken or turkey if you want to make this lower in carbs.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Chile Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.