Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole has two of my very favorite ingredients in a low-carb breakfast casserole! And this recipe is also Keto and gluten-free.
This favorite Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole is one that I’ve made over and over through the years, and if I was forced to choose only one breakfast casserole out of all the breakfast casseroles on my blog, this might be the one I’d choose. There’s something about the combination of mushrooms and feta that sounds like a perfect breakfast to me.
This recipe is also a sentimental favorite because back in 2008 I made Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole for breakfast when my friend Genie stopped for a night as she was moving to California. Then nearly ten years later Genie stayed at my new house with her husband and son! I’m pretty sure I made this other favorite breakfast casserole for her that time, but she did tell me how much she has enjoyed the Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole through the years.
This original recipe for this made 10 servings, and it keeps for at least a week in the fridge, and reheats well. I included the printer-friendly link to that larger version in this updated recipe, but the photos here are for a smaller Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole that makes 6 generous servings, and that’s the size I make most often now.
And did you know that Feta Cheese has barely any carbs! If like mushrooms and Feta Cheese, please try this immediately if you haven’t already done so!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe:
- half and half (optional)
- olive oil
- Feta cheese
- green onions (optional)
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), or any all-purpose seasoning blend
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
What is Feta Cheese?
Feta is a brine-cured crumbly white cheese that comes from Greece, and it’s loved by people all over the world! Read more about Feta Cheese here if you’re interested. And Feta Cheese is one of the lowest carb cheeses you can find, which makes it perfect for a low-carb breakfast casserole like this!
What kind of mushrooms did I use?
I used brown Cremini mushrooms for this recipe, but seriously any mushrooms you find in your store will be delicious in this!
Want more recipes with mushrooms and Feta?
I’ve already gushed over how much I love the combination of mushrooms and Feta, and if you like those flavors too you might enjoy Balsamic Spinach Salad with Mushrooms and Feta, Cottage Cheese Breakfast Muffins with Mushrooms and Feta, or Stuffed Mushrooms with Olives and Feta.
How to Make Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Wash mushrooms if needed, dry well, and cut into thick slices or half-slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and saute the mushrooms until they release their liquid and get slightly brown.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray or olive oil and put mushrooms in the dish.
- Put Feta and green onions over the mushrooms.
- Beat eggs until they’re well-combined; then pour eggs over and use a fork to gently “stir” so the ingredients are well distributed in the eggs.
- Bake at 375F/190C about 30 minutes, or until eggs are set and starting to slightly brown.
- Serve hot, with some sour cream on top if desired.
Find More Low-Carb Breakfast Recipes to Try:
- 25 Family Friendly Keto Breakfast Casseroles
- Low-Carb and Keto Breakfasts to Bake on the Weekend and Eat All Week
- Low-Carb and Keto Grab-and-Go Breakfasts
- Low-Carb and Keto Crustless Quiche Recipes
- 20 Favorite Low-Carb Breakfast Recipes
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep where you’ll find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 12 eggs
- 1 T half and half (Probably optional, but I usually use it if I have some in the house.)
- 1 pound, washed and sliced mushrooms (see notes)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (or more, depending on your pan)
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions (optional, but good)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning, or use any all-purpose seasoning blend that’s good on eggs
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray 8.5 X 12 inch glass casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices or half slices. Slice green onions.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, then cook the mushrooms until they release their liquid and get slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Layer the mushrooms, Feta, and green onions (if using) into the casserole dish.
- Beat eggs with milk until the yolks and whites are completely combined, pour over mushroom-Feta-onion mixture, then stir gently with a fork so that mushrooms. cheese, and onions are evenly distributed in the egg mixture. Season with Spike Seasoning (affiliate link) or other seasoning of your choice and fresh-ground black pepper. (I don’t add salt because Spike Seasoning and Feta both have some salt.)
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until eggs are completely set and the top is starting to brown. Serve hot.
- This will keep for at least a week in the fridge and can be reheated in a microwave or in a covered pan on the stove.
I like brown Cremini mushrooms for this recipe, but any mushrooms will work; use a few more mushrooms if you'd like. Use heavy cream or milk instead of half and half, or skip it completely, whichever you prefer.
If you'd like to make a larger size for this favorite breakfast casserole, Click Here for 10 Servings Size Printer Friendly Recipe.
This recipe created by Kalyn and made many, many times through the years.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 426mgSodium: 702mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 17g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Egg dishes like this Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole are great for low-carb or Keto diet plans, and also a perfect Low-Glycemic breakfast option for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. And Feta cheese is extremely low in carbs!
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Breakfast Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.