Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole
This Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole has two of my very favorite ingredients in a low-carb and gluten-free breakfast casserole that’s also Keto, low-glycemic, meatless, and South Beach Diet friendly! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
This favorite Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole is one that I’ve made over and over through the years, and if I was forced to choose only one breakfast casserole out of the many different ones I’ve shared here, this just might be the one. There’s something about the combination of mushrooms and feta that sounds like a perfect breakfast to me.
This recipe is also a sentimental favorite because back in 2008 I made Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole for breakfast when Genie from The Inadvertent Gardener stopped for a night as she was headed for California. Then last summer Genie stayed at my house again with her husband and son! I think I made this breakfast casserole for her that time, but she did tell me how much she has enjoyed the Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole through the years.
This original recipe for this makes 8 or 10 servings, and it will keep for at least a week in the fridge, and it’s easy to pop it in the microwave or reheat in a covered pan for a quick breakfast. I included the printer-friendly link to that larger version in this updated recipe, but the photos here are for a smaller version of Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole that makes 6-8 servings, and that’s the size I make most often now.
Before you make this you may wish to read Basic Instructions for Low-Carb Breakfast Casseroles which has instructions for various sizes of pans and ingredient options for this type of breakfast casserole. And if like mushrooms and Feta cheese, please try this immediately if you haven’t already done so!
Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices or half-slices. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and saute the mushrooms until they release their liquid and get slightly brown. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and put mushrooms in the dish.
Put Feta and green onions over the mushrooms. Beat eggs until they’re well-combined; then pour eggs over and use a fork to gently “stir” so the ingredients are well distributed in the eggs. Bake at 375F/190C about 30 minutes, or until eggs are set and starting to slightly brown.
Serve hot, with some sour cream on top if desired.
More Low-Carb Breakfast Recipes to Try:
Kalyn’s Top Ten Low-Carb Breakfasts to Bake on the Weekend and Eat All Week
Breakfast Recipes Photo Index Page ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
My Top Ten Favorite Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Eggs Recipes
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole
- 12 eggs
- 1 T milk, half and half, or cream (Probably optional, but I usually use it if I have some in the house.)
- 1 pound or more mushrooms, washed and sliced (Use more mushrooms if the budget can handle it, see notes.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (or more, depending on your pan)
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese (or more)
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions (optional, but good)
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning, or use any all-purpose seasoning blend that’s good on eggs
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray 8.5 X 12 inch glass casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices or half slices. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, then cook the mushrooms until they release their liquid and get slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Layer the mushrooms, Feta, and green onions (if using) into the casserole dish.
- Beat eggs with milk until the yolks and whites are completely combined, pour over mushroom-Feta-onion mixture, then stir gently with a fork so that mushrooms. cheese, and onions are evenly distributed in the egg mixture. Season with pike Seasoning or other seasoning of your choice and fresh-ground black pepper. (I don’t add salt because Spike Seasoning and Feta both have it.)
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until eggs are completely set and the top is starting to brown. Serve hot.
- This will keep for at least a week in the fridge and can be reheated in a microwave or in a covered pan on the stove.
I like brown Cremini mushrooms for this recipe, but any mushrooms will work.
This recipe created by Kalyn and made many, many times through the years. If you’d like to make a larger size for this favorite breakfast casserole, Click Here for 10 Servings Size Printer Friendly Recipe.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Egg dishes like this Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole are great for low-carb diet plans, and also a perfect Low-Glycemic breakfast option for any phase of the South Beach Diet. I use whole eggs but you can use liquid egg substitute or more whites than yolks if you prefer.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.