Foil-Wrapped Grilled Fish Packets with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Green Onions
Foil-Wrapped Grilled Fish Packets with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Green Onions features white fish pieces, seasoned with fish rub, spread with pesto, and grilled in foil with tomatoes and green onions! If you serve with cauliflower rice, these delicious grilled fish packets are low-carb, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
I love to cook fish on the grill, but for some delicate-textured fish white fish, putting it directly on the grill grates is asking for trouble. For thin pieces or delicate types of fish, cooking the fish in foil on top of the grill is an easy way to get amazing results, and I loved these Foil-Wrapped Grilled Fish Packets with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Green Onions. I first made this recipe with Tilapia, but now I’d be more likely to use a healthier fish like Barramundi, Hake, Flounder, Haddock, Pollock, or Halibut.
In this recipe for I seasoned the fish pieces with my favorite Szeged Fish Rub and spread the fish with a thin layer of Basil Pesto with Lemon, then I wrapped it in foil with grape tomato halves and sliced green onions and let the foil packets cook on the grill.
We served it over rice to soak up all the delicious juice, but use My Favorite Cauliflower Rice for a low-carb dish. I made this on a day when both Jake and my brother Rand were sampling the recipe experiments, and both gave this an enthusiastic two thumbs up!
Rub the fish on both sides with olive oil and Szeged Fish Rub or your favorite seasoning for fish, and then let it come to room temperature before you cook it. I started with a cup of tomato halves and 1/3 cup Basil Pesto with Lemon, but I didn’t end up using quite that much in the recipe. When the fish is room temperature, place it on a double piece of foil, spread with pesto, and top with tomatoes and sliced green onions. Fold the foil around the fish and seal the ends tightly.
Cook fish over medium-high heat about 12-13 minutes (I opened one to see when it was done.) Serve hot, over rice or use Cauliflower Rice for a low-carb dish. This is a quick dinner that’s amazingly flavorful and easy to make.
More Tasty Seafood You Might Like:
Foil-Wrapped Grilled fish Packets with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Green Onions
Foil-Wrapped Grilled Fish Packets with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Green Onions features white fish pieces, seasoned with fish rub, spread with pesto, and grilled in foil with tomatoes and green onions!
- 2 frozen pieces of mild white fish, thawed overnight in the fridge (Any type of flaky mild white fish can be used, but the fish should not be very thick.)
- about 1 T olive oil, for rubbing the fish pieces
- about 2 tsp. Szeged Fish Rub, or use your favorite seasoning mix for fish
- 1/4 cup Basil Pesto with Lemon (or purchased pesto will work, although homemade pesto is better)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half (or diced whole tomatoes)
- 3 T sliced green onion
- Remove fish from the refrigerator, pat dry, and rub on both sides with olive oil and season with fish rub, and let the fish come to room temperature. Preheat the grill to medium-high (you can only hold your hand there for a few seconds at that heat.)
- While the grill heats and the fish comes to room temperature, cut grape tomatoes in half and slice green onions.
- Tear off four squares of foil, stack them up to make two double pieces, and spray the inside of the foil with non-stick spray or brush with olive oil.
- When the fish is room temperature, put a piece of fish on top of each double piece of foil, spread about 2 T pesto over each piece of fish, and scatter half the tomatoes and green onions over each. Fold the foil around the fish, tightly sealing the ends.
- Cook fish on the hot grill without turning until the fish is cooked through and the pesto, tomatoes, and green onions are wilted and have formed a flavorful sauce.
- We cooked our fish 13 minutes, but cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish, temperature of the fish, grill temperature and air temperature so I would open one packet to test when you think it should be done.
Recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from Foil-Baked Salmon with Basil Pesto and Tomatoes.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Fish is a healthy protein source, and these Foil-Wrapped Grilled Fish Packets with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Green Onions are great for the South Beach Diet and other low-carb and low-glycemic eating plans. For strict low-carb diets you may wish to use less tomatoes and of course serve over My Favorite Cauliflower Rice for a low-carb dish.
ind More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.