Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot
CrockPot Chicken Fajitas are an easy dinner idea and with low-carb tortillas or cauliflower rice this is a delicious low-carb meal!
Years ago I got this recipe for Chicken Fajitas in the CrockPot from a blog called MomFood, written by a blogger named C. Jones who graciously agreed to let me republish it here. That blog disappeared shortly after I got the recipe, although C. Jones did leave a comment on the original post in 2006. At the time she was still reading Kalyn’s Kitchen, so if she’s still reading now, I hope she’ll be pleased to see this. I’m trying to update my oldest posts that don’t have photos, so today I made fajitas in the crockpot and took a few pictures.
Of course, I know these chicken fajitas made in the Crockpot aren’t really fajitas like the ones that come on a sizzling plate at a restaurant, but this recipe is still pretty delicious even without that fajita sizzle. These easy-to-make Chicken Fajitas are delicious any time of year, but I especially love to make this in the summer, because using the slow cooker will keep your kitchen cool.
The chicken and roasted veggies are delicious served in low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice, but truthfully rice or tortillas are completely optional. I like to eat this just piled up on a plate with melted cheese, salsa, and a dollop of sour cream. Some Cilantro-Lover’s Guacamole would go great with it too, but unfortunately there was none of that left for the photo!
How to Make Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Put trimmed chicken breasts, sliced onion, sliced green bell pepper, and sliced red bell pepper into crockpot.
- Squeeze 2-3 T fresh lime juice over top of chicken and vegetables.
- Mix together chile powder, cumin, salt, and chicken broth and pour over.
- Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- Serve Chicken Fajitas hot, with low-carb tortillas or over Easy Cauliflower Rice for a low-carb meal.
More Chicken in the Slow Cooker:
Slow Cooker Chicken Photo Index Page ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
40 Fabulous Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes ~ The Perfect Pantry
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Broccoli Bowls ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (see notes)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (I use red onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in half-circle slices
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in half-circle slices
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (more or less to taste)
- flour tortillas (I use low-carb tortillas)
- grated cheese (I use Mexican four-cheese blend)
- sour cream
- (Could also add lettuce and tomato.)
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts, and cut chicken into 1 inch crosswise slices.
- Place chicken in crockpot
- Cut both ends from onion, then peel, cut in half top to botton, and cut into half-circle slices.
- Add onion to crockpot.
- Cut ends from red and green bell pepper, cut in half top to bottom, remove seeds and membranes, and cut into half-circle slices. (Cut up the stem and bottom end too.)
- Add bell peppers to crockpot.
- Squeeze lime juice over chicken, onions, and peppers in crockpot.
- In a small bowl stir chili powder, cumin and salt into chicken broth (I used homemade chicken stock).
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until tender. (I usually cook about 3 hours on high.)
- Spoon chicken and vegetables into warmed tortillas (I use low-carb tortillas) and serve with toppings. This would be great with Cilantro-Lover’s Perfect Guacamole.
- This is also delicious just served on a plate, with cheese melted over and other toppings added.
You need about 4-5 chicken breasts to make six servings. I used homemade chicken stock but canned chicken broth or chicken stock from a carton would be fine for this recipe.
Nutritional information doesn't include optional toppings or low-carb tortillas.
Recipe originally from Mom Food, a blog which no longer exists.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 5.8gSaturated Fat: 1.6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3.3gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 305mgCarbohydrates: 5.3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 48g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you serve these Chicken Fajitas with low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice, this can be a low-carb meal. If you’re serving this with low-carb or whole wheat tortillas, it would be a great meal for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. Just eat the chicken and veggies topped with some cheese without tortillas or rice for stricter low-carb or Keto.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!)
Historical Notes for This Recipe:
Chicken Fajitas in the CrockPot was first posted in 2005 and updated with photos in 2009. Last updated with nutritional information May 2020.