Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas are an easy dinner idea and with low-carb tortillas or cauliflower rice this is a delicious low-carb meal! And Crockpot fajitas can cook in a few hours and they’re great to make in the summer when you don’t want to turn on the stove.
I got this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas from a blog called MomFood, written by a blogger named C. Jones who graciously agreed to let me republish it here. That blog disappeared shortly after I got the recipe, although some time later C. Jones did leave a comment on the original post.
At the time she was still reading Kalyn’s Kitchen, so if she’s still reading now, I hope she’ll be pleased to see I’m still enjoying this chicken fajitas recipe, and recently I made fajitas in the crockpot and took a few pictures. Of course, I know these chicken fajitas made in the slow cooker aren’t really fajitas like the ones that come on a sizzling plate at a restaurant, but this recipe is still pretty delicious even without that fajita sizzle.
These easy-to-make Chicken Fajitas are delicious any time of year, but I especially love to make this for Cinco de Mayo or in the summer months, because this is a no-fuss recipe and using the slow cooker will keep your kitchen cool.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- Chili Powder (affiliate link)
- ground cumin (affiliate link)
- canned chicken broth (affiliate link) or homemade chicken stock
- fresh-squeezed lime juice, I used my fresh-frozen lime juice
- low-carb tortilla, I like Mission Carb Balance Low-Carb Tortillas (affiliate link)
- Mexican four-cheese blend
- sour cream
- salsa, I would use Pace Picante Sauce (affiliate link) which is low in sugar
- (Could also add lettuce and tomato.)
What do I serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas?
The chicken and roasted veggies are delicious served in low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice, but truthfully rice or tortillas are completely optional for these crockpot fajitas. I often eat this just piled up on a plate with melted cheese, salsa, and a dollop of sour cream. Some Cilantro-Lover’s Guacamole would go great with it too, but unfortunately there was none of that on hand for the photo!
Can Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas work for Keto?
You can easily make this recipe Keto friendly by simply serving the chicken and veggies on a plate, topped with melted cheese. I’ve eaten it that way many times and always enjoyed it! That variation would also be gluten-free.
What size slow cooker did I use?
I used a Crock-Pot 3.5-Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe, but as you can see it was quite full and a larger slow cooker would definitely work.
Want another method for making Chicken Fajitas?
If you want another option for cooking chicken fajitas, check out my recipe for Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, which is also a winner!
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Put trimmed chicken breasts, sliced onion, sliced green bell pepper, and sliced red bell pepper into slow cooker.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over top of chicken and vegetables.
- Mix together chili powder, cumin, salt, and chicken broth and pour over.
- Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- Serve the Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas hot, with low-carb tortillas or over Easy Cauliflower Rice for a low-carb meal.
- Or just serve chicken, veggies, and melted cheese on a plate for Keto.
More Chicken in the Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Broccoli Bowls
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (see notes)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (I use red onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in half-circle slices
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in half-circle slices
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (more or less to taste)
- flour tortillas (I use low-carb tortillas)
- grated cheese (I use Mexican four-cheese blend)
- sour cream
- (Could also add lettuce and tomato.)
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts, and cut chicken into 1 inch crosswise slices.
- Place chicken in crockpot
- Cut both ends from onion, then peel, cut in half top to botton, and cut into half-circle slices.
- Add onion to crockpot.
- Cut ends from red and green bell pepper, cut in half top to bottom, remove seeds and membranes, and cut into half-circle slices. (Cut up the stem and bottom end too.)
- Add bell peppers to crockpot.
- Squeeze lime juice over chicken, onions, and peppers in crockpot.
- In a small bowl stir chili powder, cumin and salt into chicken broth (I used homemade chicken stock).
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until tender. (I usually cook about 3 hours on high.)
- Spoon chicken and vegetables into warmed tortillas (I use low-carb tortillas) and serve with toppings. This would be great with Cilantro-Lover’s Perfect Guacamole.
- This is also delicious just served on a plate, with cheese melted over and other toppings added.
You need about 4 large chicken breasts to make six servings.
I used homemade chicken stock but canned chicken broth or chicken stock from a carton would be fine for this recipe.
Nutritional information doesn't include optional toppings or low-carb tortillas.
Recipe originally from Mom Food, a blog which no longer exists.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 5.8gSaturated Fat: 1.6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3.3gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 305mgCarbohydrates: 5.3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 48g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you serve the Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas with low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice, this can be a low-carb meal. If you’re serving this with low-carb or whole wheat tortillas, it would be a great meal for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. Just eat the chicken and veggies topped with some cheese without tortillas or rice for stricter low-carb or Keto.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one! Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for This Recipe:
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas was first posted in 2005 and updated with photos in 2009. The recipe was last updated with more information in 2023.