Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot
Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot are a delicious meal for any time of year. Add some guacamole if you like, and if you serve with low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice, this is a delicious low-carb meal! Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one!
In 2005 I got this recipe for Chicken Fajitas in the CrockPot from a blog called MomFood, written by a blogger named C. Jones who graciously agreed to let me republish it here. That blog disappeared shortly after I got the recipe, although C. Jones did leave a comment on the original post in 2006. At the time she was still reading Kalyn’s Kitchen, so if she’s still reading now, I hope she’ll be pleased to see this. I’m trying to update my oldest posts that don’t have photos, so today I made fajitas in the crockpot and took a few pictures.
Of course, I know that Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot aren’t really Fajitas, but this recipe is still pretty delicious even without that fajita sizzle. These Chicken Fajitas are delicious any time of year, but I love to make this in the summer, because using the slow cooker will keep your kitchen cool. The chicken and roasted veggies are delicious served in low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice, but truthfully rice or tortillas are completely optional. I like to eat this just piled up on a plate with melted cheese, salsa, and a dollop of sour cream. Some Cilantro-Lover’s Guacamole would go great with it too, but unfortunately there was none of that left for the photo!
(Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot was updated April 2009.)
Put trimmed chicken breasts, sliced onion, sliced green bell pepper, and sliced red bell pepper into crockpot. Squeeze 2-3 T fresh lime juice over top of chicken and vegetables. Mix together chile powder, cumin, salt, and chicken broth and pour over. Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
Serve Chicken Fajitas hot, with low-carb tortillas or over Easy Cauliflower Rice for a low-carb meal.
More Chicken in the Slow Cooker:
Slow Cooker Chicken Photo Index Page ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
40 Fabulous Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes ~ The Perfect Pantry
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Broccoli Bowls ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot
Chicken Fajitas in the Crockpot are a delicious meal for any time of year.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4-5 chicken breasts)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (I use red onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in half-circle slices
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in half-circle slices
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (I used homemade chicken stock)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or more, I use about 3 T)
- flour tortillas (I use low-carb tortillas)
- grated cheese (I use Mexican four-cheese blend)
- sour cream
- (Could also add lettuce and tomato.)
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts, and cut chicken into 1 inch crosswise slices.
- Place chicken in crockpot
- Cut both ends from onion, then peel, cut in half top to botton, and cut into half-circle slices.
- Add onion to crockpot.
- Cut ends from red and green bell pepper, cut in half top to bottom, remove seeds and membranes, and cut into half-circle slices. (Cut up the stem and bottom end too.)
- Add bell peppers to crockpot.
- Squeeze lime juice over chicken, onions, and peppers in crockpot.
- In a small bowl stir chili powder, cumin and salt into chicken broth (I used homemade chicken stock).
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until tender. (I usually cook about 3 hours on high.)
- Spoon chicken and vegetables into warmed tortillas (I use low-carb tortillas) and serve with toppings.
- This is also delicious just served on a plate, with cheese melted over and other toppings added.
This would be great with Cilantro-Lover’s Perfect Guacamole.
Recipe originally from Mom Food, a blog which no longer exists.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you serve these Chicken Fajitas with low-carb tortillas or over cauliflower rice, this can be a low-carb meal. If you’re serving this with low-carb or whole wheat tortillas, it would be a great meal for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet. You can eat the chicken and veggies topped with some cheese without tortillas or rice for stricter low-carb or Keto.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!)
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.