Cheesy Low-Carb Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Bake (Video)
The idea for Cheesy Low-Carb Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Bake came from a reader who added some breakfast sausage to my Chile Rellenos Bake. And WOW, what a tasty breakfast this was!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make this Cheesy Low-Carb Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Bake!
If you’re someone who’s followed my blog for a while, you might have noticed I like to experiment with variations when I have a flavor combination or recipe process that I really like. Sometimes those ideas just pop into my head, but this Cheesy Low-Carb Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Bake was an idea I got fixated on after a reader mentioned adding sausage to the ultra popular Low- Carb Vegetarian Chile Rellenos Bake!
When that idea showed up as a comment on the Kalyn’s Kitchen Facebook page, I should have written it down, because now I can’t remember who gave me the idea, but the thought of eggs, green chiles, sausage, and cheese lodged in my brain and recently I decided I had to experiment with it. And when I made this recipe with Jake and Kara it was so delicious that I couldn’t wait to share this twist on an old favorite with you! (And if you’re the person who planted this idea in my head, please let me know in the comments so I can credit you.)
We used turkey breakfast sausage because I had some in the fridge, but I think pork breakfast sausage would be very tasty! This recipe seemed like a breakfast dish to me with the breakfast sausage added, but the original Low-Carb Vegetarian Chili Rellenos Bake was a recipe I always liked any time of day, so if you’d like this for a brunch or breakfast-for-dinner option I’m sure it would be a hit!
Where can you guy big cans of roasted green chiles?
If you don’t live in the west, the hardest thing about this recipe might be finding the big cans of roasted green chiles. If you have a Mexican market near you, that’s the best place to get a good price on the big 27 oz. cans of whole green chiles that I love to use in recipes. But if that’s not an option you can get whole green chiles in a can at Amazon.com (affiliate link).
How to Make Cheesy Low-Carb Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Bake:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C and spray a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Dump the can of whole roasted green chiles (affiliate link) into a colander to drain in the sink and let them drain while you heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and brown one pound of turkey or pork breakfast sausage.
- When the chiles have drained well, split each one open with your finger and scrape out the seeds, drying chiles with a paper towel if they seem extra wet. (I like to stack them in two stacks so I use the same amount of chiles for each layer.)
- Make a layer with half the chiles in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Cover the chiles with a half the grated Mexican Blend cheese, and then add the sausage. (We debated about whether cheese or sausage should come first, so feel free to switch if you’d like.)
- Then add the browned sausage over the cheese and about 1/4 cup sliced green onions.
- Make a second layer of green chiles, top with the other half of the cheese, and sprinkle green onions over the top. (You can skip green onions if you’re not a fan, but we loved them in this.)
- Beat the eggs in a large measuring cup or bowl, then whisk in the cream, ground cumin (affiliate link), Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), and a little salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the casserole, then take a fork and poke some holes so the egg mixture can run down to the bottom of the dish and bind the casserole together.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake 15 minutes, then remove the foil and cook about 25 minutes more, or until the mixture is set and the top is starting to brown.
Serve hot. This is great with a dollop of sour cream, and personally I like some Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link) on mine as well.
More Low-Carb Egg Dishes with Green Chiles:
Fifteen Minute Salsa Verda Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Green Chile and Sausage Scrambled Eggs ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Green Chile and Cheese Egg Muffins ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Egg Sausage Bake with Green Chiles ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Low-Carb Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Green Chile Egg Tacquitos ~ Inside Bru Crew Life (use low-carb tortillas if making for low-carb)
Bobbi’s Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Eggs, Cheese, and Green Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
You can use more or less cheese to taste, but I like this with quite a bit of cheese. Use milk or heavy cream instead of half and half if you prefer. This recipe was inspired by a suggestion from a reader to add some breakfast sausage to my popular Low- Carb Vegetarian Chile Rellenos Bake! Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 268mgSodium: 681mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g
You can use more or less cheese to taste, but I like this with quite a bit of cheese. Use milk or heavy cream instead of half and half if you prefer.
This recipe was inspired by a suggestion from a reader to add some breakfast sausage to my popular Low- Carb Vegetarian Chile Rellenos Bake!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Cheesy Low-Carb Sausage and Green Chile Breakfast Bake is a perfect dish for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet. You can adapt the recipe to be Keto, low-carb, or even South Beach Diet friendly depending on what sausage and dairy products you use.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Check out Breakfast Recipes for more tasty low-carb breakfasts like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.